2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

26 minutes ago, Nero_Mustbethefeeling said:

Also any word on TETRAD invites? haven't seen any going out in a while since before the break.

I emailed the coordinator before break and he said that interview invites would be sent out in early January. So I'm guessing there is a second wave coming, maybe. 

2 hours ago, YouCantBcereus said:

I last talked with Dr. Bowman before Christmas, and she just said I'd be responsible for booking the flight there. Hopefully they'll be in contact with us sometime this week!!! Although I'm not going til the 29th so maybe it'll be a bit longer for me

So you booked your flights right?  I'd book and forward them your travel times so they know.  Or are you unsure of the dates you should travel?

1 hour ago, peachypie said:

So you booked your flights right?  I'd book and forward them your travel times so they know.  Or are you unsure of the dates you should travel?

I'm booking my flight today! I know the dates and I'll send them my travel times when they email me back, but since I'm in the second of the two weekends I think they're focusing on the details and times of those going the weekend of the 15th for now.

2 hours ago, onceinalifetime said:

Hey just curious what dept did you apply to at USC? I see you have an interview - I can't find anyone else who's applied there and not much comes up on the 'results search' here for USC.

It was the biokinesiology dept. They're within the PT school, but have an awesome biomechanics program which I'm quite excited about. 

10 hours ago, ultravioletblack said:

Does anyone know what's up with UWisconsin-Madison IPiB? I saw one or two posts on the survey by people who got interviews on Dec 1, but...the app was due on that day. One of my friends emailed the office about it, and in response, they gave him an interview invite. Is there an actual date that they're trying to get the invites out by, or are they doing it in waves, or are they handing out invites to whoever asks? (haha I wish, but it's kind of weird!)

Hello, I got my invite on December first via an e-mail from the head of the department.  Since then I've been in collaboration with who I believe is an administrative assistant of some sort.  I don't know how they are working it, but I know the first interview date is February 4-6 so probably before that.  Good luck, I'll be there March 3-5 (last of 3 interview dates due to conflicting interviews).  Hope to see you there!

On 8/5/2015 at 1:20 PM, Hexokinase1 said:

I'm thinking about taking the subject test as well.

@Gram Neutral: I would think anything about 75% would be competitive? 

Also, I noticed weird discrepancies with scoring. It says all subject GRE tests are out of 990, but then if you look at the GRE Biochem percentile breakdown on the ETS website, it says 99th percentile = 740?

I don't get it. 

The percentile has nothing to do with the 'grade' you got on the test , a 99 does not mean u got 99 percent of the questions right. It just means u scored better than 99 percent of other test takers. The fact that you can score a 740 on the biochem exam and still be better than 99 pecent of other ppl is a testament to how insanely hard it is! If u notice the 99 percentile for biochem  starts the lowest out of any of the subj tests, thats because its the hardest one. Its pretty god damn hard! Did u take it yet>?

On December 24, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Caffeine Junky said:

I was really starting to lose hope after not hearing from UPenn CAMB or Vanderbilt IGP, but I woke up in the middle of the night last night with an interview at my top choice- Scripps Florida!!! 

Hey,

Congratulations on your interview invitation!

what program did you apply to at Florida? I do not understand how they picked Florida of me. 4 out of the 5 OF MY POI were from CA. 

1 hour ago, Ash04 said:

Hey,

Congratulations on your interview invitation!

what program did you apply to at Florida? I do not understand how they picked Florida of me. 4 out of the 5 OF MY POI were from CA. 

Same here, got an invite to the Jupiter campus and 5/6 of my POI  were from Ca too. But in hindsight, Florida keeps me closer to my family so I'm happy either way!

Has anyone heard anything about Stanford Biosciences Biophysics? I haven't seen any posts on the results forum yet...

Also still waiting on UCSF Tetrad (if they're sending out more invites) and UC Berkeley MCB (said we'd know by Jan 8).... 

Feeling nervous :unsure:

19 minutes ago, GT_lcd said:

Same here, got an invite to the Jupiter campus and 5/6 of my POI  were from Ca too. But in hindsight, Florida keeps me closer to my family so I'm happy either way!

Thank you! Do you know anything about the interviews? they say we will interview with 6-8 faculty members. Now I have to send them 6 new faculty of interest who are in Florida. 

Edited by Ash04

Have a question. I realized that I'm probably taking on too many interviews, and it seems like an exhausting and time consuming process. I'll hear back from one of my top choice schools by end of January and all of my interviews come afterwards, so if if things work out I'd be interested in cancelling 2-3 of them. How bad is it to cancel an interview 1) before making travel arrangements 2) after making travel arrangements (e.g. flight)? I would just feel really guilty doing so after the administrators and professors took the time to figure out scheduling, to arrange hotels, etc. but would be really be helpful for my own schedule

3 minutes ago, breaker746 said:

Have a question. I realized that I'm probably taking on too many interviews, and it seems like an exhausting and time consuming process. I'll hear back from one of my top choice schools by end of January and all of my interviews come afterwards, so if if things work out I'd be interested in cancelling 2-3 of them. How bad is it to cancel an interview 1) before making travel arrangements 2) after making travel arrangements (e.g. flight)? I would just feel really guilty doing so after the administrators and professors took the time to figure out scheduling, to arrange hotels, etc. but would be really be helpful for my own schedule

The way I'm going about it is, if I've already committed to the interview, then I am not going to cancel, even if I hear about more interviews later on. Most of what I've read about interviews says it's bad form to cancel after committing. Obviously it's worse to cancel after flights have been arranged, as the schools lose money by canceling flights. 

I've already declined one interview, and may be declining another depending on if I hear back from my last program. Even so, I feel like I have too many interviews as well, but I'll get through it somehow. Plus I'm looking forward to seeing all these schools even though I already know which ones I would prefer to attend. 

Assuming by the amount of invites posted here, and if the first interview slot is already full as a previous poster mentioned, that no news from Vanderbilt at this point means rejection?

4 minutes ago, SL52 said:

Assuming by the amount of invites posted here, and if the first interview slot is already full as a previous poster mentioned, that no news from Vanderbilt at this point means rejection?

I don't think it means rejection. Looking at the results survey, it looks as if they do interviews through March. In past years, people received interview invites through late January or were informed they were on a wait list in February and even March. That data is from a quick scan of the first 3 pages of results when searching on "Vanderbilt IGP."

1 hour ago, breaker746 said:

Are visiting a great university and getting free travel and food while meeting a bunch of like-minded individuals so exhausting haha. Looks like you have a ton, but if it's not conflicting then I suggest you should check it out for all of them. Unless you are very busy with work/school then, if it were me, I would just go to all of them. Also the school and the faculty spent a lot of time and money for this, as well as denying other candidates, so unless if you consciously justify your decision, well go for it.

Has anyone else on here heard anything additional from UCSB after that first correspondence?  

12 hours ago, peachypie said:

I'd follow up with just a check in when to see about travel information.  Whenever I got an invite even when it was super early like in December they always immediately scheduled my travel within a day or two.  One place I needed to get reimbursed but they still wanted us to tell them our travel dates ahead of time so they could organize a pick-up and know what nights for a hotel etc.  Usually it is handled at the time of accepting the interview and not too much later unless they said please let us know by XYZ and we'll schedule travel some time in January or something.

Would you call or email?

And what should I say?  "Just checking in, wanted to make sure you still know I exist!"
I don't want to annoy them, but I also feel weird that I haven't heard anything at all in over 2 weeks now.  I know its probably not the case, but I am worried something happened and they forgot about me.

35 minutes ago, ms_green_genes said:

I don't think it means rejection. Looking at the results survey, it looks as if they do interviews through March. In past years, people received interview invites through late January or were informed they were on a wait list in February and even March. That data is from a quick scan of the first 3 pages of results when searching on "Vanderbilt IGP."

Thanks for the info, I haven't checked the results database in a while.. doesn't look like many/any other international applicants have heard yet either :D. Congrats to your daughter on the interviews!

On another note, I just received my first interview invite! It was in the form of an email from a professor at the University, arranging a skype interview and asking when I'd be available. Any idea of what kind of interview this will be? will I have to read up on his publications etc? It wasn't anyone I mentioned in my SOP, so is it likely just to be a more informal chat kind of deal?
Cheers!

:D

4 minutes ago, SL52 said:

Thanks for the info, I haven't checked the results database in a while.. doesn't look like many/any other international applicants have heard yet either :D. Congrats to your daughter on the interviews!

On another note, I just received my first interview invite! It was in the form of an email from a professor at the University, arranging a skype interview and asking when I'd be available. Any idea of what kind of interview this will be? will I have to read up on his publications etc? It wasn't anyone I mentioned in my SOP, so is it likely just to be a more informal chat kind of deal?
Cheers!

:D

Congrats! You should read up on his pubs, and do a crash course on your own research, but for these you wouldn't need to prepare anything other than standard interview questions. There's no harm in overpreparing! 

On 12/19/2015 at 8:18 PM, aaahhhmyfuture said:

Has anyone heard from UCSB MCDB?  They are supposed to let everyone here by Dec 31st, and I haven't heard yet.  I'm feeling a rejection because it's close to the Christmas Holiday, and I have heard nothing.

Did you ever hear back from UCSB?