2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

19 minutes ago, adiJ said:

OK. How much do fall grades matter? I feel utterly unprepared for my finals this week because I only started studying after submitting (ugh). I'm probably going to get a couple of Bs. I don't want to sound like I'm whining but I have to face the facts I guess.

How many of your schools actually request updated fall grades? Only one of mine does. If they want updated grades, they'll probably have the same weight as the rest of your transcript. Although they might be more understanding given that you were applying to grad schools at the same time. If they just want final official transcripts after you've been accepted, I doubt they'll matter much (i.e. make sure you get your degree, don't fail any classses, and don't drop more than 2 letter grades from your previous performance).

21 minutes ago, adiJ said:

OK. How much do fall grades matter? I feel utterly unprepared for my finals this week because I only started studying after submitting (ugh). I'm probably going to get a couple of Bs. I don't want to sound like I'm whining but I have to face the facts I guess.

im totally in the same boat, but they don't see fall grades at all as far as I know. Submitting your fall grades is optional, you just have to submit proof of graduation after you're accepted.

the only time these grades will matter is when applying for scholarships in year 2 of grad school

38 minutes ago, adiJ said:

Unless they specifically ask for it, you don't even have to send it to them until they request your final transcripts. Of course if you really bomb it, they won't offer you admission at that point. 

46 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

@ ilovelab wow those are all so early! did you submit your application last year well before the dec 1 deadline?

1 AM Dec 1st. I left it to the last minute. I only decided to apply like Early November. So everything was rushed. It depends on the program you are applying to. Vanderbilt for example has 1 committee that sends out invitations in waves. Michigan PIBS each programs sends out invitations so it all depends on when that committee meets. On occasion you will interviews will be sent out late b/c the PI in charge of that forgot to send the invites out. My previous boss did that, he completely forgot to call the 20 students he was responsible for. So don't freak out of you don't hear by Christmas. If you don't hear by end of Jan then you can freak out. 

I didn't submit my app last year, I applied 2 years ago.  I decided to take a job offer instead of going to grad school which my old PI was not happy about. I'll apply next cycle. 

Edited by ilovelab

Okay I can't feel my legs....I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO THE DBBS PROGRAM AT WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS 5 minutes ago via email!!!!! :o:o:D:D

Confirmed right away, booking my tickets for the interview weekend of January 14th.

All the hard work f***ing paid off. I'm so on top of the world nowwww!!!

5 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

Okay I can't feel my legs....I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO THE DBBS PROGRAM AT WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS 5 minutes ago via email!!!!! :o:o:D:D

Confirmed right away, booking my tickets for the interview weekend of January 14th.

All the hard work f***ing paid off. I'm so on top of the world nowwww!!!

Congrats! You're in LA as well huh heh. I applied there as well so I'm still hoping for the best

Thank you thank you! To top it off, a professor from Yale emailed me saying she would hope to meet me for an interview in February. My head is actually reeling from happiness :D:D

3 minutes ago, adiJ said:

Congrats! You're in LA as well huh heh. I applied there as well so I'm still hoping for the best

14 minutes ago, gs1992 said:

Where'd you hear that about PiN?

I heard from a current PiN student that applications are being reviewed this week, so I'm expecting that interview requests will be sent out late next week. (This has been the pattern for the last few years too).

34 minutes ago, kokobanana said:

I heard from a current PiN student that applications are being reviewed this week, so I'm expecting that interview requests will be sent out late next week. (This has been the pattern for the last few years too).

I emailed the PiN (was asking because I'm worried about potential conflicts) and they said if you don't hear by the 21st, you unfortunately aren't invited for an interview

2 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Okay, I have a question.  Do all these interviews work on reimbursement?  I have like no money and my credit card is half maxed with the Vandy trip alone... does anyone know?

Some of them have you book directly through a travel agent! Of my 2 invites, one has you do reimbursement, the other asks you to contact their agent if you plan on flying/taking a train

Just now, bdnf_13.1 said:

Some of them have you book directly through a travel agent! Of my 2 invites, one has you do reimbursement, the other asks you to contact their agent if you plan on flying/taking a train

Ugh.  I just wish they would just book the flight and send the ticket.

On my two interviews I had last time I applied, they were both reimbursement. Although I will say that their automatic calculated cost was like $75 more than what I spent because they included like food purchases etc. So I made money off of my interviews, which was nice haha.

Edited by Gram Neutral

6 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Anyone heard from Harvard Immunology?  It's small so it's kinda hard to gauge.

I didn't apply, but my PI is involved in admissions so I could subtly ask for you :P

Edited by jaesango

Hi Guys,

Congratulations on your invitations!! 

I think I made a mistake in some of my applications, I am not sure if its a big deal. 

So in the work experience section i forgot include a job that i worked for 4 months but I still put it in my resume.

Do you think this would affect my applications? I am a bit worried

Edited by Ash04