MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

43 minutes ago, arte said:

Mine is 489 words... I tried really hard to make it under 500... Maybe I got it mixed with another school.

Hoping for a reply from the office before the deadline :wacko:

28 minutes ago, Alment said:

You can call the number 804-828-2787 for VCU questions, they just explained to me that only the app we've all already filled out is actually due today.  I also read the essay was supposed to be 500 but it let me submit 540, and I did already try to submit 700 so I guess there is a true cut off somewhere between those.  I would still submit today if I were you but yeah good to know you can have an extra few days more than you thought I guess 

Yikes, I submitted a few days ago and my essay is definitely over 500 words.. but it let me submit, so I'll assume that it's fine. *crosses fingers* That's great that you're not late though, Alment!

arrrggg... just completed all application process...I think.. I keep going back to the application site to check if I missed anything. 

I have never felt this insecure about myself and my works.... College application was not this intense... :(

I have one application to finish and then I have to file my fafsa, and now the real freaking out begins with the waiting game. I have never been so nervous or uncertain, but the excitement is starting to grow, and I just really hope I can have some decent options. This has all been so stressful! Tonight I am tuning out the world and spending some quality time at my easel. All the best everyone!

Sooooooooo, did anyone apply to USC Roski School of Art and Design MFA program? I know there was a HUGE controversy last year regarding funding for their first years, wondering if anyone applied or considered applying? From the looks of everyone signatures and the general conversation,  seems like USC program has been forgotten about. 

Francis Stark is gone, and once Charlie White stepped down as Chair, trouble was brewing. The program itself has been practically dismantle there is a long interview with those artist and also the MFA students that dropped out. There was also a BFA exhibition where they apperantly also suffered from all of this. It sucks but it also brings up the point of a model where you get charged a lot for a degree that pays so little most of the time. 

So has anyone gotten a save the date from SMFA? what exactly is it? I know its not an interview request, but does it mean i can expect one? Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this.

2 hours ago, 09welshs said:

So has anyone gotten a save the date from SMFA? what exactly is it? I know its not an interview request, but does it mean i can expect one? Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this.

I got the same email from SMFA, imforming the interview day.

I think it is just imformative email.

16 hours ago, AKW94 said:

Sooooooooo, did anyone apply to USC Roski School of Art and Design MFA program? I know there was a HUGE controversy last year regarding funding for their first years, wondering if anyone applied or considered applying? From the looks of everyone signatures and the general conversation,  seems like USC program has been forgotten about. 

I applied to Roski because my husband wanted more California schools in the mix, so I added them in before researching them. I am embarrassed to say just how many schools I applied to though.. it's way too many. I will let you guys know how it goes! They definitely don't have their shit together still because the information provided for application procedures contradicts itself and is inconsistent.

Edited by Laceybug

18 hours ago, AKW94 said:

The program is basically gutted and I don't think its a good investment of time.  so sad. 

1 hour ago, Alment said:

The program is basically gutted and I don't think its a good investment of time.  so sad. 

I agree--especially when there are other high quality UC schools to apply to. 

Hey all! 

Not sure if there are any programs with deadlines beyond the 15th of January, but I wanted to congratulate everyone for submitting applications.  If you're still working on finalizing submissions, best of luck! 

I hope you all are fairing well in regards to staving off anxiety and anticipation.  I almost read every post from last year's freak out forum, which perhaps wasn't the most calming thing to do before bed...I think I need a therapy dog.  Perhaps this will do for now (found while reading the archives): http://www.zooview.tv/ Otherwise, I just learned that there are 5425 episodes of Judge Judy.  

As an aside, any other photo people out there?! 

Cheers!

Just added Rutgers to my list after much contemplation, combined with finding out that I am not in the running for the Fulbright I applied for (expected this, but still a little sad) so I may as well withdraw my application for The Slade.

Now that everything is mostly submitted I have been hit with the low-grade anxiety/fear of failure that will probably last 'til early April. Thank gawd applications are done and I can start making work again...at least that'll keep my brain at bay.

On 1/16/2016 at 10:10 PM, AKW94 said:

I looked into the program after all the controversy, with the department losing all of their MFA students, I left feeling unsure about the program. After reading the reasons for why the students left, their comments and then reading the statement from the dean, I decided not to apply. (although I'm not sure what my chances for getting in would have been anyway.)

Re USC: The problem is that their credibility is shot in many people's minds (mine included). For their program to survive, they're going to have to demonstrate that they're able not only to broker fair deals with their current and prospective students, but also---and more importantly---to keep their word with respect to said deals. (This doesn't even come near the concerns about their faculty.)

For USC to rebuild goodwill and credibility, they need guinea pigs: people who are willing to be a test case. And those test cases would, by necessity, need to accept the risk that promised funding could conceivably go up in smoke. I'm not willing to take that risk, and it seems a lot of you aren't either.

Also, not gonna lie, as a dyed-in-the-wool Notre Dame football fan, going to Southern Cal (or even giving them application fee $) would be anathema.

Edited by Relm

I think I'm starting to check this site just as much as I check my email just to see if anyone has posted any results.

I feel like this is taking forever. And I'm super envious of those of you still in undergrad because at least you have school as a distraction. Nothing seems to be able to take hold of my attention for very long right now.

Me too.. It's so hard to wait. 

The hardest thing is it's only 2 weeks past since I submitted all the applications. I have to wait at least 4 weeks..........ah....

Edited by JW

25 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

Don't you guys have jobs?  haha.  That's a pretty good distraction.

Lol, yes, I do have a job. But it's not all that distracting surprisingly. It's really easy to work on things and let my mind wander back to this.

10 minutes ago, nikcav said:

Lol, yes, I do have a job. But it's not all that distracting surprisingly. It's really easy to work on things and let my mind wander back to this.

yeah true im at work checking this forum ha

1 minute ago, BlCEO said:

yeah true im at work checking this forum ha

As am I. I work with duel monitors, so it's really easy to have this forum and my email pulled up on one side and my work on the other.