2016 Applicants

6 hours ago, greatdane said:

Congrats! Do you know if anything changed on your portal?

I actually can't check my portal very easily, as I'm abroad right now. I actually got an email saying it was an early notification, and that a letter would arrive soon. My friend also got one. 

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I was really about to lose hope of getting in, checked my emails while I was half asleep on the train, and saw the acceptance. I legit asked my friends multiple times if I was awake haha!

Got my first acceptance today from Portland State University!!! Absolutely shocked considering how average my GPA is and how horrible my GRE scores were lol. I'm guessing my experiences and LOR's got me in. Definitely gonna go out and celebrate this one with a few drinks...or maybe like 10 hahaha. 

I feel so petty, but I'm now feeling this major bitterness toward PSU and questioning whether I should remove myself from the waitlist now. I want to go somewhere that actually wants me. ? Not going to make any rash decisions because I know it's just an emotional reaction but I'm surprised by how upset I am. 

Edited by Cowsy

6 minutes ago, Cowsy said:

I feel so petty, but I'm now feeling this major bitterness toward PSU and questioning whether I should remove myself from the waitlist now. I want to go somewhere that actually wants me. ? Not going to make any rash decisions because I know it's just an emotional reaction but I'm surprised by how upset I am. 

Hi Cowsy! I can understand the feeling of bitterness (I felt the same when I got waitlisted at NMSU) - but being on their "first-tier" waitlist means they definitely want you! There just isn't enough space. I know it sucks hardcore, but you have a good chance of getting off that list and getting into the program - don't throw it away!

Anecdote time... I applied for a job as an RA in college and didn't get it... then a few weeks later I got a phone call saying they wanted to offer me a job because someone else turned it down! I accepted the job and it changed my entire college experience - I was a great RA, won some departmental awards, etc. It was a better of 1) sticking it to whoever decided I wasn't "first string" material and 2) a way of honoring and proving right the woman who had the faith in me to offer me the spot. 

If they offer you the spot (first round, second round, or third!) it means you deserve it. These clinical professors are thinking of the lives of all of your future clients, there is no way they'd even put you on a waitlist if they thought you wouldn't make a good/competent clinician.  

Is this school your top choice? Maybe you could call and tell them that if you were offered a spot, you'd definitely accept (if that's the case!) It might get you bumped up the waiting list. Just call and talk with faculty in general could help out your spot. 

48 minutes ago, Cowsy said:

Exactly what mcamp said above, plus, one of the best applicants I knew in my program was wait listed over some that got in (that I didn't think were as qualified)...  A week or two later, she was in off the list.  

I feel like you just can't take this process too seriously - the apps are evaluated by different people on the committee, each of whom have their own unique take on who is the ideal applicant.  

I was turned down for a scholarship today, so I know the feeling of rejection really sucks, but it's out of my hands now.  This one was specific to my current school only, so maybe the universe is telling me something.  In the meantime... ??

I got rejected to PSU :( not even wait listed. Thankfully I'm handling it much better than I thought thanks to jet lag. I think if I didn't hear from Montclair before getting this rejection, I'd be devastated. I'm mainly crushed that I'll be stuck in NJ another 2-3 years, but at least then I can move away from the east coast, and start my career in a place I feel better suited for. 

Best of luck to everyone on the wait list. I really hope you all get a spot in the program!

2 hours ago, Cowsy said:

Just got an email-- wait listed by PSU. First tier. Blahhhhh. Who else heard from PSU? 

I was accepted at PSU, but will not be accepting the offer. Hope this helps you! Good Luck!

2 hours ago, rainsonata said:

Got waitlisted for third tier at PSU.  Should I bother staying on the waitlist since the email itself said that third tiers rarely get in?

I was waitlisted third tier at PSU last year. Honestly, I would say don't bother especially if you do have other options, but it's ultimately up to you. They do not keep their waitlist for very long whereas other universities will keep theirs up until the start of the program. I received a formal rejection in early June.

2 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

Exactly what mcamp said above, plus, one of the best applicants I knew in my program was wait listed over some that got in (that I didn't think were as qualified)...  A week or two later, she was in off the list.  

I feel like you just can't take this process too seriously - the apps are evaluated by different people on the committee, each of whom have their own unique take on who is the ideal applicant.  

I was turned down for a scholarship today, so I know the feeling of rejection really sucks, but it's out of my hands now.  This one was specific to my current school only, so maybe the universe is telling me something.  In the meantime... ??

2 hours ago, mcamp said:

Hi Cowsy! I can understand the feeling of bitterness (I felt the same when I got waitlisted at NMSU) - but being on their "first-tier" waitlist means they definitely want you! There just isn't enough space. I know it sucks hardcore, but you have a good chance of getting off that list and getting into the program - don't throw it away!

Anecdote time... I applied for a job as an RA in college and didn't get it... then a few weeks later I got a phone call saying they wanted to offer me a job because someone else turned it down! I accepted the job and it changed my entire college experience - I was a great RA, won some departmental awards, etc. It was a better of 1) sticking it to whoever decided I wasn't "first string" material and 2) a way of honoring and proving right the woman who had the faith in me to offer me the spot. 

If they offer you the spot (first round, second round, or third!) it means you deserve it. These clinical professors are thinking of the lives of all of your future clients, there is no way they'd even put you on a waitlist if they thought you wouldn't make a good/competent clinician.  

Is this school your top choice? Maybe you could call and tell them that if you were offered a spot, you'd definitely accept (if that's the case!) It might get you bumped up the waiting list. Just call and talk with faculty in general could help out your spot. 

Thank you both so much. I'm already feeling a bit better, in large part because of your kind, very wise words. PSU is my first choice, but I'm pretty ambivalent about the program itself. The fact that it would allow me to stay close to my parents (one of whom is ill) outweighs anything else for me, though. The only other school I applied to was U of O, and I got in, but it's two plus hours away. Not the other side of the world, or the end of the world if I end up going there-- and I think I'd actually prefer the program. So yeah, pros and cons and all that. :-) Thank you again for the thoughtful words of encouragement.

52 minutes ago, seands said:

I was accepted at PSU, but will not be accepting the offer. Hope this helps you! Good Luck!

Hey thanks for letting me know! Congrats on your acceptance to PSU, and also I'm assuming to other schools. I hope you declining helps me too, ha. :-) Thanks again and good luck to you.

Whoops, just saw you were accepted to U of O. Maybe I'll see you there this fall. :-)  

Edited by Cowsy

10 hours ago, rzilby said:

I got rejected to PSU :( not even wait listed. Thankfully I'm handling it much better than I thought thanks to jet lag. I think if I didn't hear from Montclair before getting this rejection, I'd be devastated. I'm mainly crushed that I'll be stuck in NJ another 2-3 years, but at least then I can move away from the east coast, and start my career in a place I feel better suited for. 

Best of luck to everyone on the wait list. I really hope you all get a spot in the program!

I got rejected from PSU too, no wait list. :( But way to go for Montclair!! That's so exciting!!!!! :D

Is anyone else looking at estimates for attendance and internally sobbing / laughing hysterically? Add in cost of living and I'm not sure that I'll have any spare money once the program starts. Plus, I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to work while completing the MS program. My mom was right about saving for grad school (I still do not regret my impulse purchases... yet B)). 

I know SLPs make decent money, but I'm wondering when the loan becomes too big of a loan-- if that makes any sense. I have one program that's going to be super cheap, even with the ridiculous cost of living for the area, but it's not my favorite school. And my top program choice (that I have yet to hear back from) could potentially be the most expensive program.

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

Is anyone else looking at estimates for attendance and internally sobbing / laughing hysterically? Add in cost of living and I'm not sure that I'll have any spare money once the program starts. Plus, I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to work while completing the MS program. My mom was right about saving for grad school (I still do not regret my impulse purchases... yet B)). 

I know SLPs make decent money, but I'm wondering when the loan becomes too big of a loan-- if that makes any sense. I have one program that's going to be super cheap, even with the ridiculous cost of living for the area, but it's not my favorite school. And my top program choice (that I have yet to hear back from) could potentially be the most expensive program.

Thoughts?

The rule of thumb is not to take out more in loans than you would expect to make in your first year of salary. Include undergrad in this. There are forgiveness options, etc, in place that can help, but I am personally an advocate of taking out as little debt as possible, if you think it's going to get you the same level of opportunities in the end.

Another thing to do would be to take your estimated fixed expenses (rent, food, transportation, and incidentals) and the calculated payment you'd have to make each month to your loans (you can see this on the finaid.gov website) and see if you're comfortable with the amount left over at what salary you think you can make coming out of grad school.

Also consider getting a PT job. Every student I spoke to on all my visits has a PT job - even at U Iowa. So, if they can have jobs at Iowa, I think we can have jobs wherever we end up, lol.

1 hour ago, esopha said:

The rule of thumb is not to take out more in loans than you would expect to make in your first year of salary. Include undergrad in this. There are forgiveness options, etc, in place that can help, but I am personally an advocate of taking out as little debt as possible, if you think it's going to get you the same level of opportunities in the end.

Another thing to do would be to take your estimated fixed expenses (rent, food, transportation, and incidentals) and the calculated payment you'd have to make each month to your loans (you can see this on the finaid.gov website) and see if you're comfortable with the amount left over at what salary you think you can make coming out of grad school.

Also consider getting a PT job. Every student I spoke to on all my visits has a PT job - even at U Iowa. So, if they can have jobs at Iowa, I think we can have jobs wherever we end up, lol.

That is great advice! you can also still try to get scholarships, they are available. It is hard when you have to make those kind of decisions, luckily I waited for my husband to finish medical school so I could go to school. Even then I am thinking about working part time. BEING A STUDENT IS SO HARD.....give me money! lol 

Anyone hear any news from emerson today? My portal still says "no decision available" ..I'm trying so hard to grasp the fact that I'm gonna be wait listed but it's so hard to do since its my top choice!! 

11 minutes ago, orange23 said:

Oh damn didn't realize MGH was #7

I know! It jumped up from the 20's I believe. I had the same reaction. I was planning on attending there anyway, but this is a cool little tidbit of knowledge (not that it made a difference anyway).

I thought that the graduate school rankings depend only on peer reviews from other departments? I don't see how a decrease in acceptance rates would lead to a higher ranking in that case. For example, Purdue accepts around ~20% of their applicants and has consistently been ranked highly. Looks like it may have to do more with research reputation and other things that academics care about. Granted, the wider university rankings on US News take into account retention, acceptance rates, alumni giving rates etc.

I just wonder how much all of this really matters for those considering getting a PhD. What is the point at which not attending a program of a certain ranking can hurt an application? Top 10? 15? 50?

Edited by flapjackal

19 minutes ago, flapjackal said:

I thought that the graduate school rankings depend only on peer reviews from other departments? I don't see how a decrease in acceptance rates would lead to a higher ranking in that case. For example, Purdue accepts around ~20% of their applicants and has consistently been ranked highly. Looks like it may have to do more with research reputation and other things that academics care about. Granted, the wider university rankings on US News take into account retention, acceptance rates, alumni giving rates etc.

I just wonder how much all of this really matters for those considering getting a PhD. What is the point at which not attending a program of a certain ranking can hurt an application? Top 10? 15? 50?

Oh interesting, you're right. It's different for other programs, but it looks like for health-related ones (at least SLP/OT/PT and similar) it's just up to the deans of departments.

1 hour ago, ohiostatestudent627 said:

awesome thanks! I bet it will help some people make decisions! Hey people who have been accepted, when did they give you guys a deadline to accept or decline, is it april 15th? Is that pretty standard? Just wondering when to hear back from the waitlist of doom!