Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

14 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

ugh sorry i'm so annoying guys, this whole waiting thing is making me feel sick to my stomach. I couldn't sleep last night. I just want this so bad, is anyone still waiting for Laurier? Does your loris just show references?

Breath, and try to get your mind off of it for a while :). 

Laurier will update the "Applicant Summary" portion of your loris account homepage first, to show whether you've been accepted or not. If they are still showing your references, it means that no decision has been made yet. 

15 hours ago, msw0913 said:

HELP! 

I receive this message when I click on my MSW link on LORIS. Today I accepted another program at Laurier, I was wondering did they rule me out because I accepted the other offer?

Each year Wilfrid Laurier University receives a large number of applications for a limited number of openings in our graduate programs. The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is unable to accept you as a candidate for the Master of Social Work (MSW 2 Yr) program. On behalf of the program, thank you for submitting an application to Wilfrid Laurier University. 

Admission Decision Application unsuccessful

Definitely not because you were accepted into another program! It's great that you have another plan now. I knew many people who had all the right experience who were waitlisted or rejected due to the sheer number of applicants. Sorry this is not the news we hoped for you :( What was the other program you were accepted in though? I'm going over my plan B as well. 

just checked LORIS and alas, another unsuccessful application....rejected from 2/4 programs, this is truly depressing :(

1 hour ago, LP3 said:

Definitely not because you were accepted into another program! It's great that you have another plan now. I knew many people who had all the right experience who were waitlisted or rejected due to the sheer number of applicants. Sorry this is not the news we hoped for you :( What was the other program you were accepted in though? I'm going over my plan B as well. 

I was really hoping for Laurier's MSW program. I've accepted the Masters of Social Justice and Community Engagement program. Although, it was not my first option. I'm just glad it offers placement so I can build my experience and reapply to MSW.  

1 hour ago, CalendarGirl said:

i'm sorry!!! when did this happen! Don't give up, laurier is crazy hard to get into! You have 2 more to go!!!

I just checked at 12 pm, so it might've been last night or this morning. Ya, I took the 3500 hr requirement fairly lightly since many schools don't care, I guess they actually do care a lot. Thanks for the moral support tho! and hey, if you haven't heard anything yet, you prob still have a fair shot! crossing my fingers and my toes for ya! :D 

According to a friend of mine in the program, he got into U of T around April 7/8 last yr and people start getting pulled off the waitlist around the end of May up until July. So I'm guessing the very last bit of offers will be completed by the end of April/early May since people have to respond within 3 weeks.

52 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

I was really hoping for Laurier's MSW program. I've accepted the Masters of Social Justice and Community Engagement program. Although, it was not my first option. I'm just glad it offers placement so I can build my experience and reapply to MSW.  

Someone I know is currently in that program and absolutely loving it! There's also quite a bit of funding available for students. 

6 minutes ago, Sam.E said:

I just checked at 12 pm, so it might've been last night or this morning. Ya, I took the 3500 hr requirement fairly lightly since many schools don't care, I guess they actually do care a lot. Thanks for the moral support tho! and hey, if you haven't heard anything yet, you prob still have a fair shot! crossing my fingers and my toes for ya! :D 

I have less than 3500, I have roughly 3400.... so I hope that I still have a chance.. idn... I hope they aren't like spreading out rejections? haha

10 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

I have less than 3500, I have roughly 3400.... so I hope that I still have a chance.. idn... I hope they aren't like spreading out rejections? haha

part of me is kinda glad I didn't get into Laurier, because my top choice is U of T since I live in and want to work in the GTA near downtown. I was even considering rejecting Laurier for Lakehead lol.. So its either U of T for MSW or 1 yr BSW and then apply to the 1 yr at U of T after, which I am already more confident of getting into than I am of getting into the 2 yr program.

I really doubt they care about 100 less hours. and ya, they prob are spreading everything out at this point....at least you will know sooner if you get in or are rejected

Edited by Sam.E

Has anyone been rejected from York? MyFile still says no decision made. I'm aware only 20 students get accepted and my chances are very slim. But I'm just wondering when they will give out rejections. 

5 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

I just got rejected from laurier :'( atleast the wait is over!

That's too bad, hopefully you get some good news from another one soon!

I've checked my mail 3 times today--never checked my mail so much in my life. 

23 hours ago, BernadetteKay said:

Hey guys,

So I applied to UofT and in the application when it said collaborative programs I wrote down my choice. I thought that for the MSW 2 year you got to choose to do that/specialize after the first year. But now I feel so silly because I think you were supposed to apply separely to the other faculty as well. Can anyone confirm this? I feel so worried about this :(
Do you think it will effect my chances of getting accepted?

Hey! I'm not 100% sure how the collaborative programs work, but my sister applied for the MSW/JD one at UofT 7 years ago and was assessed on both together (she was rejected from both and was given one letter). This is why I assume that they take both into consideration when accepting; however, I am not sure if this is still the case today! Best of luck!

Can anyone who has done the 1 year BSW at Lakehead in Orillia comment on what the schedule looks like from September-December. It indicates that July-September you are in class 8:30-4:30, but I'm wondering if it is necessary to like in Orillia from September-December, or if classes are infrequent enough that I could consider commuting? 
Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Dani4 said:

Can anyone who has done the 1 year BSW at Lakehead in Orillia comment on what the schedule looks like from September-December. It indicates that July-September you are in class 8:30-4:30, but I'm wondering if it is necessary to like in Orillia from September-December, or if classes are infrequent enough that I could consider commuting? 
Thanks!

Hi...from july to like the second week of august its monday to friday 8:30 to 4 pm..sometimes earlier sometimes later. Then september to like late november you have about a day or so free. You can start either 9 on some days and finish like 5 depending on which counseling class you take and if u take the elective in the fall rather than online during your placement. So for instance, your schedule  can be mondays 9 to 2 or 9 to 5 if your counseling class is on that day. Then tuesday 9 to 2 if thats your counseling class. If counseling is on monday then tuesday 11 to 5pm. Then wednesday 9 to 2 or 11 to 2. Then Thursday 2 to 5pm or 11am to 5pm. So basically you have counselling twice a week (2 sections), research twice a week (1 section tuesdays and Thursdays 2 to 5), policy once a week (1 section 9 to 11) , community engagement twice a week (1 section 11 to 2) . I really hope this makes sense. I am trying to be as detail and i am using my phone. I also commutted from scarborough and it was no doubt strenuous but doable. It just takes a lot of commitment to wake up that early and drive. I say try to find buddies to commute with. Vaughan mills is a good mid point. 

Edited by MSW-UofT

I haven't heard anything from Laurier... just keep checking and checking! I haven't heard anything from Windsor either.. but just today the application status on Uwindsor site went from 'Referred to department' to 'Application in progress'... did this change for anyone else who is still waiting to hear from Windsor?

46 minutes ago, SaltWaterSea said:

I haven't heard anything from Laurier... just keep checking and checking! I haven't heard anything from Windsor either.. but just today the application status on Uwindsor site went from 'Referred to department' to 'Application in progress'... did this change for anyone else who is still waiting to hear from Windsor?

My application status on UWindsor also changed to "Application in process", I wonder what this means. Does anyone from last year's application period know? 

Edited by Eveileb

20 hours ago, LP3 said:

Someone I know is currently in that program and absolutely loving it! There's also quite a bit of funding available for students. 

Hey there,

How does one find out about Laurier's funding? I can't seem to find anything on the Laurier website, whereas York's information is readily available. 

Does anyone know anything about Laurier's funding structure?

Thanks,

Chelsea

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here both last year and this year, I am trying to decide between schools right now and any guidance would be wonderful- I have been accepted to Windsor, Laurier, and McGill for the two year MSW programs (QY for McGill) and am having a tough time deciding. Right now it is between Laurier and McGill. I don't see McGill talked about very much on here, but does anyone know how it compares to Laurier? Thank you so much to anyone who can give me any advice!

Edited by lvm2015

2 hours ago, lvm2015 said:

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here both last year and this year, I am trying to decide between schools right now and any guidance would be wonderful- I have been accepted to Windsor, Laurier, and McGill for the two year MSW programs (QY for McGill) and am having a tough time deciding. Right now it is between Laurier and McGill. I don't see McGill talked about very much on here, but does anyone know how it compares to Laurier? Thank you so much to anyone who can give me any advice!

Hey I don't have any advice on this! But I am a lauier rejectee but it is my dream school and really want to know how I could improve. You must be doing something right to get accepted to all of those schools! What is your experience like? and do you have any advice?

23 hours ago, msw0913 said:

Has anyone been rejected from York? MyFile still says no decision made. I'm aware only 20 students get accepted and my chances are very slim. But I'm just wondering when they will give out rejections. 

Hey, I have! I was rejected quite early. Aprox. 2 weeks after applying my status changed to "Application unsuccessful" so I would say its a good sign that your status hasn't changed!!! there's still hope!

I'm assuming they ruled out all candidates that didn't meet the criteria, specifically for me my GPA met the bare minimum.  Goodluck!!!

Edited by radiance1313