Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

I've been reading the comments regarding U of T 2 year program...I still have not heard anything back yet... trying to stay positive. But do you all think its just waitlist and rejections left to be sent out?

Wishing you all the best of luck, For those stressing, feeling anxious, etc...I can totally relate. I am trying to tell myself whatever happens, don't give up on your dreams!  have a great day everyone.

On 4/1/2016 at 3:32 PM, CalendarGirl said:

I just got rejected from laurier :'( atleast the wait is over!

aww man thats rough, im so sorry :( but at least you have a confirmation from waterloo right? 

1 hour ago, heatherandedwin said:

thanks rachberks! may I ask what kind of experience/grades you have? also, do you know of people being rejected from U of T and York already?

A little background on myself; I'm interested in addiction and comorbid mental health in minority populations, specifically LGBTQ+ populations. I applied to collaborate in addiction studies and showed interest in the mental health and health stream. 
So at the time of submitting my app, I had about 1000 hours of unpaid volunteer work in the social services, 250 specifically in a rehab facility which I mainly talked about in my statement. 250 hours volunteering with the elderly at a retirement home, 200 hours with the Canadian Mental Health Association, some hours leading a program with at-risk youth (involved with drugs/the law) and some doing community outreach events. I had about 60 hours as an admin assistant in the eating disorder clinic at Toronto General Hospital and the rest of my volunteer hours were from doing summer camp stuff. 

As for paid work I've been a front desk concierge at a retirement home for 5 years and accumulated over 3500 hours, however I know it doesn't directly relate to social service work and the area I want to focus in, but I tried to tie in how working with seniors has opened my eyes to a lot of things and how its made me more resilient and allowed me to develop some of the qualities necessary for social work.

My grades are my strongest, I have a 90% average in my last year (4 A+'s and 4 A's). 
Research wise is where I fall short, as besides my A in research methods, I only have my thesis which I just completed so when I submitted my applications it was halfway done and all i could do was talk about my hypothesis and why I chose my topic. 

Edited by rachberks

On 4/2/2016 at 0:08 PM, lvm2015 said:

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here both last year and this year, I am trying to decide between schools right now and any guidance would be wonderful- I have been accepted to Windsor, Laurier, and McGill for the two year MSW programs (QY for McGill) and am having a tough time deciding. Right now it is between Laurier and McGill. I don't see McGill talked about very much on here, but does anyone know how it compares to Laurier? Thank you so much to anyone who can give me any advice!

i would look into the streams that each school offers. I know mcgill has a mental health stream which is why I personally would apply there. But if its comparable, I would stick to laurier since you're guaranteed to get your MSW at the end. I spoke to someone at McGill and they said you have to reapply to the 1 yr Masters after the qualifying year, and you're not 100% guaranteed to be accepted to the MSW after (esp if you don't do so well). And that one year would go to waste since its not a BSW program, its specific to mcgill. I personally wouldn't want to hassle my references again if I don't have to so I would say stick to laurier esp if you plan on working in ontario (where you can make connections through placements)

12 minutes ago, rachberks said:

A little background on myself; I'm interested in addiction and comorbid mental health in minority populations, specifically LGBTQ+ populations. I applied to collaborate in addiction studies and showed interest in the mental health and health stream. 
So at the time of submitting my app, I had about 1000 hours of unpaid volunteer work in the social services, 250 specifically in a rehab facility which I mainly talked about in my statement. 250 hours volunteering with the elderly at a retirement home, 200 hours with the Canadian Mental Health Association, some hours leading a program with at-risk youth (involved with drugs/the law) and some doing community outreach events. I had about 60 hours as an admin assistant in the eating disorder clinic at Toronto General Hospital and the rest of my volunteer hours were from doing summer camp stuff. 

As for paid work I've been a front desk concierge at a retirement home for 5 years and accumulated over 3500 hours, however I know it doesn't directly relate to social service work and the area I want to focus in, but I tried to tie in how working with seniors has opened my eyes to a lot of things and how its made me more resilient and allowed me to develop some of the qualities necessary for social work.

My grades are my strongest, I have a 90% average in my last year (4 A+'s and 4 A's). 
Research wise is where I fall short, as besides my A in research methods, I only have my thesis which I just completed so when I submitted my applications it was halfway done and all i could do was talk about my hypothesis and why I chose my topic. 

Wow!! Your experience sounds amazing. Have you been checking ROSI? I was also rejected from Laurier, I think because I have under 3500 hours of relevant experience but I was just accepted to Toronto a few days ago. I wouldn't give up hope because you're definitely competitive! It's so hard to know what schools are looking for, but I would definitely think you'd get in before me based on what you've said so keep checking !! :)

24 minutes ago, msw.ang said:

Wow!! Your experience sounds amazing. Have you been checking ROSI? I was also rejected from Laurier, I think because I have under 3500 hours of relevant experience but I was just accepted to Toronto a few days ago. I wouldn't give up hope because you're definitely competitive! It's so hard to know what schools are looking for, but I would definitely think you'd get in before me based on what you've said so keep checking !! :)

thank you for the kind words! I have been checking ROSI. As far as I know I think the lack of research experience is what's holding me down and I really am kicking myself in the butt about not looking for RA work the last 2 years and focusing more on volunteering and my grades. However i'm not going to lose hope till I find out for sure! 

Congrats on the acceptance :) it is such an accomplishment!!!! 

34 minutes ago, rachberks said:

thank you for the kind words! I have been checking ROSI. As far as I know I think the lack of research experience is what's holding me down and I really am kicking myself in the butt about not looking for RA work the last 2 years and focusing more on volunteering and my grades. However i'm not going to lose hope till I find out for sure! 

Congrats on the acceptance :) it is such an accomplishment!!!! 

Thank you so much! I couldn't believe it, I was expecting to be waitlisted at best! I only have one year (two semesters) of research experience as an RA in two psych labs, plus a 95 in research methods (mind you, my overall average is only 81). I didn't do a thesis, so I thought my lack of research experience was gonna kill me too! I think my personal statement (it was very personal) and my fantastic references helped me get in. If you don't get in, I'd definitely recommend making sure you have great references and really connect in your personal statement. But honestly, I think you'll get in :) You have sooo much fantastic experience!! Don't give up and good luck! :) 

Edited by msw.ang

On 2016-04-02 at 10:04 PM, Eveileb said:

My application status on UWindsor also changed to "Application in process", I wonder what this means. Does anyone from last year's application period know? 

Where are you going to check your UWindsor application status? I cant seem to find anything about my application status on their site. Is that for the 2 year program? or the 3 year MSW for working professionals? I talked to one of the ladies working for Windsor and they said they take each application separately and will respond 6-8 weeks after your full application has been received. I thought they said they would e-mail when they've made a decision but now I cant remember.

Also, has anyone else applied to Windsor's MSW for working professionals program in PEEL yet? Just wanted to try and connect with potential peers for September :) (not that i've heard back, still have 4-6 weeks potentially before I hear back)

This is such a busy time for everyone as we respond to our acceptances, rejections, waitlists, deferrals etc!

I was accepted to Laurier today and was wondering if anyone knows anything about their funding structure. There was nothing specific in their offer of admission. Also, can anyone speak to the program (its emphasis, structure, practicum)?

Thank you!

On 02/04/2016 at 10:45 AM, chelsealion said:

Hey there,

How does one find out about Laurier's funding? I can't seem to find anything on the Laurier website, whereas York's information is readily available. 

Does anyone know anything about Laurier's funding structure?

Thanks,

Chelsea

Not sure about Laurier's funding, but I don't think they have a lot. York, however, was advertised quite widely in our BSW program as "the school with a lot of funding." If I could afford to live in Toronto, I'd choose York because of the anti-oppressive framework. 

For anyone who was accepted/rejected to Laurier, how did it happen? Was Loris updated, e-mail received, and then a letter? 
If anyone applied last year, there was a system glitch before the information was officially released, so I was able to view my rejection almost 2 weeks before the letter went out. I can't remember if I got an e-mail or anything else though. 

15 hours ago, colieg said:

Where are you going to check your UWindsor application status? I cant seem to find anything about my application status on their site. Is that for the 2 year program? or the 3 year MSW for working professionals? I talked to one of the ladies working for Windsor and they said they take each application separately and will respond 6-8 weeks after your full application has been received. I thought they said they would e-mail when they've made a decision but now I cant remember.

Also, has anyone else applied to Windsor's MSW for working professionals program in PEEL yet? Just wanted to try and connect with potential peers for September :) (not that i've heard back, still have 4-6 weeks potentially before I hear back)

Hi Colieg,

I've applied for the MSW for Working Professionals program in Peel Region!  It isn't mentioned much on here, so I'm so glad I've found someone who may potentially be attending the program.  I still haven't heard back yet; I think I have another three weeks to go.  I keep wondering the same thing about Windsor - I don't think that they have an online portal like the other universities do, unless you were a previous Windsor student.  I got the impression that we'd be notified of our admission decisions by postal mail but I could be wrong.  Best of luck to you!!

1 hour ago, LP3 said:

For anyone who was accepted/rejected to Laurier, how did it happen? Was Loris updated, e-mail received, and then a letter? 
If anyone applied last year, there was a system glitch before the information was officially released, so I was able to view my rejection almost 2 weeks before the letter went out. I can't remember if I got an e-mail or anything else though. 

Hi LP3, I was invited to the waitlist for Laurier yesterday and they sent an email. If i go into Loris, it still shows my regular reference page.

Hope this helps,

Sarah

11 minutes ago, Sarah Erwin said:

Hi LP3, I was invited to the waitlist for Laurier yesterday and they sent an email. If i go into Loris, it still shows my regular reference page.

Hope this helps,

Sarah

Thanks! Still no e-mail and no letter... How ominous!

Hey all, 

I too have been stalking this thread for a long time now, but this is my first post. 

My girlfriend and I are both Psych students now, but we applied together to the 2 year MSW programs at U of T, Laurier, and Windsor. 

She was rejected from Laurier, but I was placed on their waitlist yesterday. We both haven't heard anything from U of T or Windsor. (Does anyone know how to check Windsor's online system? Like the equivalent of LORIS?)

Love the support going on for everyone, and we've both been going nuts over here as well waiting to hear from schools, we are both really passionate about the field of Social Work and really, really want to get in and start working toward our dreams. Best of luck to everyone, and don't give up!!!!