HGSE 2016

aina7

On 10/12/2015 at 6:52 AM, Heaslch09 said:

Just sent in my application this morning!

Applying for: Ed.M. 
Program: Education Policy and Management

GRE Score: V 165, Q 156, AWA: 4.5 (95th, 64th and 80th percentiles)
Undergrad GPA:  3.634
Work Experience: 3 years as a public school music teacher (everything from Kindergarten to 12th grade!).  I've also worked at a bunch of summer camps as a counselor and a music theory teacher.

Volunteer Experience: Music director for youth theater program in my city
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Small Private College (Music Education major, PoliSci minor)
Research Experience: Minimal 
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Penn State, UMass, maybe one more

No clue if I have any shot in hell.  I'm happy with my GRE scores at least.  I'm not sure what kind of background they look for in the EPM program, but I'm looking for a place to combine my education and political science backgrounds.  

I believe your credentials look solid. Especially if you worked well on your SOP, and explained how it all comes together :) :).

1 hour ago, morifol said:

PhD applicants, did you go into a lot of details into faculty profiles & how your research interests fit into that in your SOPs?

I had one good-sized paragraph in my SOP that talked about my research interest and how I felt a few specific faculty fit in with that. Had to pare it down some given the 1000 word constraint, but we all do the best we can.

Did you get the e-mail about filling out the Ed.M. supplemental information if you're deferred to that group?

9 hours ago, mjsmith said:

I had one good-sized paragraph in my SOP that talked about my research interest and how I felt a few specific faculty fit in with that. Had to pare it down some given the 1000 word constraint, but we all do the best we can.

Did you get the e-mail about filling out the Ed.M. supplemental information if you're deferred to that group?

I am not interested in Ed.M., so I will not be deferred. Has anyone else here chosen this option?

I am a bit worried about my SOP, as I didn't specify concrete faculty members, only the fields of specific faculty member (without mentioning names) that would give my research new perspectives....

16 hours ago, morifol said:

I am not interested in Ed.M., so I will not be deferred. Has anyone else here chosen this option?

I am a bit worried about my SOP, as I didn't specify concrete faculty members, only the fields of specific faculty member (without mentioning names) that would give my research new perspectives....

I'm applying for EdM, but I'm mentioning faculty members whose interests match mine.  I guess this isn't necessary for my degree level?  But still, it's a big part of my desire to study at HGSE, so why not...  I guess I'm a little self-conscious it sounds like "sucking up," but it's not... it's legit.

Edited by Heather1011

44 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

I'm applying for EdM, but I'm mentioning faculty members whose interests match mine.  I guess this isn't necessary for my degree level?  But still, it's a big part of my desire to study at HGSE, so why not...  I guess I'm a little self-conscious it sounds like of like "sucking up," but it's not... it's legit.

I don't think this can possibly be a bad thing Heather. If anything, it shows that you've done your homework and reinforces the *why* HGSE in my opinion. ^_^

7 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I'm applying for EdM, but I'm mentioning faculty members whose interests match mine.  I guess this isn't necessary for my degree level?  But still, it's a big part of my desire to study at HGSE, so why not...  I guess I'm a little self-conscious it sounds like "sucking up," but it's not... it's legit.

I second Dracos' opinion. It is awesome they you did! :) Shows you are thorough!

Submitted my application on Sunday!  So weird not having things to look over anymore. It was taking up so much of my head space for months and now that it's gone there is a weird void. Just time to play the waiting game now. 

I'm nervous because I really really want to get into this program and think it's truly the right fit for me, but I also am trying to keep a level head understanding that I'm sure everyone who applies is very highly qualified. It's just not the kind of thing you apply for if you're not qualified. :wacko: So I mean I know my scores and background and all that are a good fit, and I have great letters of rec, but it's more about them deciding if I'm the right fit for the cohort they are building, and whether they see my aspirations as being right for it. 

Plus, I want to talk about it at work all of the time, but then have to remind myself that I didn't tell anyone at work that I might be leaving except the woman who wrote a letter for me... #struggle

4 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

Submitted my application on Sunday!  So weird not having things to look over anymore. It was taking up so much of my head space for months and now that it's gone there is a weird void. Just time to play the waiting game now. 

I'm nervous because I really really want to get into this program and think it's truly the right fit for me, but I also am trying to keep a level head understanding that I'm sure everyone who applies is very highly qualified. It's just not the kind of thing you apply for if you're not qualified. :wacko: So I mean I know my scores and background and all that are a good fit, and I have great letters of rec, but it's more about them deciding if I'm the right fit for the cohort they are building, and whether they see my aspirations as being right for it. 

Plus, I want to talk about it at work all of the time, but then have to remind myself that I didn't tell anyone at work that I might be leaving except the woman who wrote a letter for me... #struggle

Congrats on getting it in! I felt the same getting mind in....as well as the void for a few days after.

And even though you can't chat about it at work, we're all here (in a virtual sense) to talk about it. After all, we're all in this together. :) 

7 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

I'm in a similar boat in that I've only told a few people at work... mostly because if I *don't* get it I will probably stay with my job... not sure.  Also, I've told a lot of my friends and family that I'm applying to grad school, but I haven't told most of them I'm applying to Harvard because, well.... you know.

You were already into the EdM program I see... did you have the same GRE scores then, similar experience?  Or has it been a few years?

15 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I'm in a similar boat in that I've only told a few people at work... mostly because if I *don't* get it I will probably stay with my job... not sure.  Also, I've told a lot of my friends and family that I'm applying to grad school, but I haven't told most of them I'm applying to Harvard because, well.... you know.

You were already into the EdM program I see... did you have the same GRE scores then, similar experience?  Or has it been a few years?

Yes, those were my scores that got me into the Ed Policy program two years ago. The only thing I have different now is a year and a half of work experience in policy for an ed research org. So I'm the same as you in that if I don't get in, I will stay at my current job, at least for a while. Truthfully, since the EdLD program is a three year program, there is probably about an equal chance that I'll be in the same place three years from now either way. Either I'll have moved up through a doctoral program, or moved into a stronger position through work anyway. The doctorate just seems like a more direct path. It's a good place to be in for sure, but I just really think the program would give me an edge that moving up through the ranks the old fashioned way will not. Plus, just the expansion of the network itself is so huge. 

I used to do the same thing - admit I was applying to graduate school, but not that I was taking myself seriously by applying to Harvard, just acted like I more just "threw it out there" even though it actually consumed my every waking moment for months haha (I was secretly studying for the GRE in all of my meetings).  Then it actually became real and I got to tell people I was going and it was the best thing ever. Truth - my parents told me to frame my rejection letter when I told them I was applying.  My dad was like "I think it's so awesome you're putting it out there and that you're reaching for the stars. Just don't be super upset about it when you don't get in. It's a cool thing that you applied. You should frame your rejection letter."  I framed my acceptance letter three months later and gave it to him for Father's Day. 

5 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

Yes, those were my scores that got me into the Ed Policy program two years ago. The only thing I have different now is a year and a half of work experience in policy for an ed research org. So I'm the same as you in that if I don't get in, I will stay at my current job, at least for a while. Truthfully, since the EdLD program is a three year program, there is probably about an equal chance that I'll be in the same place three years from now either way. Either I'll have moved up through a doctoral program, or moved into a stronger position through work anyway. The doctorate just seems like a more direct path. It's a good place to be in for sure, but I just really think the program would give me an edge that moving up through the ranks the old fashioned way will not. Plus, just the expansion of the network itself is so huge. 

I used to do the same thing - admit I was applying to graduate school, but not that I was taking myself seriously by applying to Harvard, just acted like I more just "threw it out there" even though it actually consumed my every waking moment for months haha (I was secretly studying for the GRE in all of my meetings).  Then it actually became real and I got to tell people I was going and it was the best thing ever. Truth - my parents told me to frame my rejection letter when I told them I was applying.  My dad was like "I think it's so awesome you're putting it out there and that you're reaching for the stars. Just don't be super upset about it when you don't get in. It's a cool thing that you applied. You should frame your rejection letter."  I framed my acceptance letter three months later and gave it to him for Father's Day. 

Yes!  The few people I've told I'm applying to Harvard, I keep saying it as a "and because why not, just to see!" but in reality I wouldn't be trying if I didn't think there was a chance, and I think about it CONSTANTLY.  

That is such a lovely idea your dad had about framing the rejection, because it's so true.  You have to be ambitious just to apply.  All of us applicants have big dreams if we're even willing to put ourselves out there for Harvard.  Just doing that proves we are motivated people, and is worth celebrating.  (We'll see if I really say that to myself come rejection in March :P ).  I will definitely scrapbook my rejection or acceptance.  Do you happen to know how many people were in the IEP program when you were there?  Is it the second biggest after Ed Policy?

Also, did you have a lot of Ed Policy experience prior to your masters degree?  

Edited by Heather1011

On 12/14/2015 at 3:26 AM, morifol said:

I wouldn't be toooo worried.  During the live chat with current PhD students, one of the program directors said that a lot of the professors don't even respond to POI-type emails from prospective applicants, purely for "equity reasons".  Given that, I didn't bother reaching out to too many faculty before submitting my application -- I also wanted to keep my options open, so to speak ^_^ My gut feeling is that if you absolutely had a faculty member(s) that you wanted to work with at HGSE and you wouldn't attend unless you got to work w/that faculty, you would've put that down on your SOP. Otherwise I think the adcom would assume that you are open to working with more than one faculty, which is how HGSE works anyway and seems to be better fit with how you're angling your application. :)

17 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Yes!  The few people I've told I'm applying to Harvard, I keep saying it as a "and because why not, just to see!" but in reality I wouldn't be trying if I didn't think there was a chance, and I think about it CONSTANTLY.  

That is such a lovely idea your dad had about framing the rejection, because it's so true.  You have to be ambitious just to apply.  All of us applicants have big dreams if we're even willing to put ourselves out there for Harvard.  Just doing that proves we are motivated people, and is worth celebrating.  (We'll see if I really say that to myself come rejection in March :P ).  I will definitely scrapbook my rejection or acceptance.  Do you happen to know how many people were in the IEP program when you were there?  Is it the second biggest after Ed Policy?

Also, did you have a lot of Ed Policy experience prior to your masters degree?  

I had very minimal ed policy experience before applying. I was a teacher and had taught in both urban and suburban settings, and had always maintained a personal interest in policy. I read a lot of books and articles and things, but aside from starting an anti-NCLB group in undergrad (when NCLB was new... too bad it took the feds another decade to pay attention...), my work was very much in the classroom. I used the program to get into the policy world because of the disparities I saw between my experiences at well-resourced vs. under-resourced schools and wanted to become involved at a higher level, which is how I framed my reason for applying in my SOP. 

7 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

I had very minimal ed policy experience before applying. I was a teacher and had taught in both urban and suburban settings, and had always maintained a personal interest in policy. I read a lot of books and articles and things, but aside from starting an anti-NCLB group in undergrad (when NCLB was new... too bad it took the feds another decade to pay attention...), my work was very much in the classroom. I used the program to get into the policy world because of the disparities I saw between my experiences at well-resourced vs. under-resourced schools and wanted to become involved at a higher level, which is how I framed my reason for applying in my SOP. 

This is very encouraging for me.  I have a personal interest in IEP but have mostly classroom experience, and I framed my SOP about the connections I see between my current work as an urban teacher and that of international issues.  Other than that, I have the grades and scores and hopefully recommendations to back me up.  So it's nice to know that HGSE valued and understood your genuine interest in policy despite your different background.

The only part that scares me is that so many applicants to IEP come from all over the world, with peace corps and international NGO experience.

On 17/12/2015 at 5:25 AM, nicolemae said:

I wouldn't be toooo worried.  During the live chat with current PhD students, one of the program directors said that a lot of the professors don't even respond to POI-type emails from prospective applicants, purely for "equity reasons".  Given that, I didn't bother reaching out to too many faculty before submitting my application -- I also wanted to keep my options open, so to speak ^_^ My gut feeling is that if you absolutely had a faculty member(s) that you wanted to work with at HGSE and you wouldn't attend unless you got to work w/that faculty, you would've put that down on your SOP. Otherwise I think the adcom would assume that you are open to working with more than one faculty, which is how HGSE works anyway and seems to be better fit with how you're angling your application. :)

I even believe that I will benefit from HGSE community way more than from interaction with just one (or two) professors. I don't think about schools in terms of faculty (how many people do, actually?), but rather in terms of their atmosphere, culture, values, and the like. However, I did state the areas I was interested in (I was extremely specific there, because I know what I want to be doing), and the theoretical approaches I prefer.

As for 'equity reasons', I believe they don't respond simply because they are lacking time and have more important things to do (understandable). For instance, it's impossible to get the contacts of current students or alumni, because HGSE is afraid that they would be overwhelmed with requests. During my One-on-One chat with a representative, I asked whether you were supposed to contact the faculty before applying, and they said that it was absolutely unnecessary. Not even 'not necessary, but we advise you to do so...'. Just unnecessary.

Edited by morifol
grammar

On 16/12/2015 at 4:00 AM, Heather1011 said:

Telling the people who care makes it real. When your state of 'omg, I'm applying to Harvard' changes into 'I've applied to Harvard. All of my friends (professors, family) believe I will be accepted', it's a completely different experience. You will also feel more confident when it comes to the interview.

11 hours ago, morifol said:

Telling the people who care makes it real. When your state of 'omg, I'm applying to Harvard' changes into 'I've applied to Harvard. All of my friends (professors, family) believe I will be accepted', it's a completely different experience. You will also feel more confident when it comes to the interview.

They do interviews for masters candidates?

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

They do interviews for masters candidates?

They do not.  Well maybe some programs do. EPM did not. 

Edited by Shlee467
Added to response.

On 12/9/2015 at 7:19 PM, Heather1011 said:

What made you choose TC?  If I'm lucky, I will have to make a choice like that.

I went to visit TC and Vandy, and was far more impressed with the advisor I met with at TC. Didn't get a change to visit HGSE, but with the scholarship offers and the strong impression made by my visit, I just made the best decision I could. Looking back, I think I'd choose HGSE if I had it to do over again. Even if it was slightly more expensive, it seems to be less of a diploma mill than TC.

1 hour ago, samsonite2pv said:

I went to visit TC and Vandy, and was far more impressed with the advisor I met with at TC. Didn't get a change to visit HGSE, but with the scholarship offers and the strong impression made by my visit, I just made the best decision I could. Looking back, I think I'd choose HGSE if I had it to do over again. Even if it was slightly more expensive, it seems to be less of a diploma mill than TC.

I'm sure your experience at TC will be/is worthwhile nevertheless :)  Thanks for sharing.  

I'm currently in one of those "I'm never going to get in..." moods because I read that 70% of students in the IEP program are international, and I'm just a generic American applicant who adds little diversity to that program.  *Sigh*

7 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I'm sure your experience at TC will be/is worthwhile nevertheless :)  Thanks for sharing.  

I'm currently in one of those "I'm never going to get in..." moods because I read that 70% of students in the IEP program are international, and I'm just a generic American applicant who adds little diversity to that program.  *Sigh*

Oh, come on. Everybody is in that mood. It's that time of the year, you know. :) All applications are submitted, the euphoria of having done it all (the GRE, the SOP, etc.) is gone, time for doubts. This is only healthy. Yet, the way you feel says nothing about your chances.

11 hours ago, morifol said:

Oh, come on. Everybody is in that mood. It's that time of the year, you know. :) All applications are submitted, the euphoria of having done it all (the GRE, the SOP, etc.) is gone, time for doubts. This is only healthy. Yet, the way you feel says nothing about your chances.

Thanks for that :)

Sadly I haven't applied yet... I'm still waiting on one grade to appear on my transcript.  Really cutting it close, the masters deadline is January 4.

I would like some feedback about my GRE scores.  I have a 162 v and 4.5 a, which is ok.  However, I have a 147 q.  It is not even worth trying to improve my q score.  I was always very poor in math.  I don't think this should disqualify me since my interests are literacy and psychology.  Am I wrong though?  I am applying to HGSE and applied to NYU.  Will I nit be considered at all due to my low q score?

3 hours ago, Red Eye said:

I would like some feedback about my GRE scores.  I have a 162 v and 4.5 a, which is ok.  However, I have a 147 q.  It is not even worth trying to improve my q score.  I was always very poor in math.  I don't think this should disqualify me since my interests are literacy and psychology.  Am I wrong though?  I am applying to HGSE and applied to NYU.  Will I nit be considered at all due to my low q score?

I've definitely seen people get accepted to these schools on this site with low Q scores like that one.  it's definitely not an automatic disqualifier, and your other scores are good :)