HGSE 2016

aina7

I also got an email about my application being complete, which scared me at first because I submitted my application on October 21st! But it seems that a lot of other people have gotten it, so hopefully it is a sign that they are starting to review applications.  I am applying for a Master's in Higher Ed, and it said that my decision would be available in March.

19 minutes ago, travelgirl125 said:

I also got an email about my application being complete, which scared me at first because I submitted my application on October 21st! But it seems that a lot of other people have gotten it, so hopefully it is a sign that they are starting to review applications.  I am applying for a Master's in Higher Ed, and it said that my decision would be available in March.

Yep, mine also said March.  I also applied a while ago.  I think they are just actually starting to look at masters applications now.

23 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Yes, I also got the email today saying my application is complete.  So that's reassuring.... 

On a totally separate note, does anyone know anything about opportunities to study foreign languages under the HGSE program?  Can you audit classes in general?  Who should I ask about this?  My program has 4 elective classes I believe.  I was wondering if one can be a foreign language, and what school that would take place at?  The other IED/IEP programs I applied to at Penn and TC have foreign language opportunities, but I haven't seen much about it at HGSE.

You can definitely take a language class for credit by cross-registering at the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. I know at least one IEP student who was doing this last semester.

Also, although you are supposed to take 8 courses throughout the year, nothing stops you from taking 10 or 11 at no extra cost. So if you're already taking 4 courses and the language course is your fifth, it's basically a free language course. 

Edited by elveintiocho

9 minutes ago, Huskyboy2015 said:

I also received the application complete email. No financial aid email as yet. Any IEP applicants here??

Yep, I'm IEP.  I got the financial aid email.  I'm sure it's not an indication of anything whether you got it or not, but if you don't get it soon you may want to check.

It's a very short application with just a few questions about your financial history.

I submitted my FAFSA several weeks ago and the US government said it all went through, but HGSE's financial aid website still says "NOT RECEIVED"... They do have a big notice saying that they won't be receiving FAFSA info until late February, so I guess that's normal... and they said that financial aid info will go out at the end of March/beginning of April for admitted students.

@ Heather: Great to know you are also applying for IEP program, we should stay in touch and hopefully we both will get in :) I did my FAFSA also and it was processed. I put in the code for hgse. How do you check if hgse financial aid website says received or not?? Is there a hgse financial aid website we have to go on and fill something out??

Edited by Huskyboy2015
edit

2 minutes ago, Huskyboy2015 said:

@ Heather: Great to know you are also applying for IEP program, we should stay in touch and hopefully we both will get in :) I did my FAFSA also and it was processed. I put in the code for hgse. How do you check if hgse financial aid website says received or not?? Is there a hgse financial aid website we have to go on and fill something out??

When you get the email from HGSE it will have the link and code for their financial aid website, and from there you can view whether your FAFSA was received.  It probably wasn't because they have a disclaimer up saying that the federal government will not be sending them info until late February, despite what our FAFSA confirmation emails have indicated :)

If you don't get the HGSE financial aid email soon I would email/call them and ask what's up, as it seems most of us masters applicants received it.

Has anyone applying for the Ed.L.D. program heard anything?  I don't have anything bad on mine, but does anyone know if social media is checked as part of vetting applicants?  Also, does anyone have an idea when interviews generally take place?

3 minutes ago, edldwannabe said:

Has anyone applying for the Ed.L.D. program heard anything?  I don't have anything bad on mine, but does anyone know if social media is checked as part of vetting applicants?  Also, does anyone have an idea when interviews generally take place?

"Once all applications have been reviewed, HGSE will invite selected Ed.L.D. applicants to campus for a day of required interviews (both individual and group) with members of the admissions committee. Interviews will take place in late February 2016."

6 minutes ago, JWalters said:

"Once all applications have been reviewed, HGSE will invite selected Ed.L.D. applicants to campus for a day of required interviews (both individual and group) with members of the admissions committee. Interviews will take place in late February 2016."

Do you know when they provide notification? Just wondering how much time they allow for making arrangements,  

i have summit-ed my application for HGSE 2016 ED.M program as well! Received an email which says that application is completed. Receive the financial aid email as well. I am an international student, I read somewhere that there was as quota for international students, is this true? is anyone aware? 

12 minutes ago, edldwannabe said:

Do you know when they provide notification? Just wondering how much time they allow for making arrangements,  

Based on previous years, which I think you may have seen, the chatter was that Ph.Ds hear around Jan 28, and EDLD around valentine's day.

9 minutes ago, joy27 said:

i have summit-ed my application for HGSE 2016 ED.M program as well! Received an email which says that application is completed. Receive the financial aid email as well. I am an international student, I read somewhere that there was as quota for international students, is this true? is anyone aware? 

Can you recall where you read that, and possibly include a link?

6 minutes ago, joy27 said:

I would consider the source.  If it wasn't provided by the school, don't regard it as fact.  Unless some of the forum participants are HGSE staff we are all in the same boat.  Guessing!!

1 minute ago, joy27 said:

According to Harvard's website: https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/application-process/international-applicants the quota thing is probably untrue. just can't help feeling that perhaps there are just limited spaces available to students who are not from the US. Or perhaps it wasn't disclosed.. 

I really don't think it's true.  Well, as an applicant to IEP, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage being American!  It seems like 75% of students are international in that program.  

2 hours ago, joy27 said:

This is 100% not true. There are no quotas. 

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I really don't think it's true.  Well, as an applicant to IEP, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage being American!  It seems like 75% of students are international in that program.  

hahaaa..i guess we all feel the same way. Not sure of our chances! 

17 hours ago, edldwannabe said:

The interview dates are February 25 and 26th. We'll hear in about two weeks most likely. (The interview dates are on the website somewhere. I did a lot of digging). I haven't heard anything except for a confirmation email that my materials were in on Jan 5. Ahhhh i just want to know. Especially since I have a charity gala on the 27th so I need to know if I'm flying back that day and how to plan, etc.

On 1/20/2016 at 8:17 PM, Heather1011 said:

Yes, I also got the email today saying my application is complete.  So that's reassuring.... 

On a totally separate note, does anyone know anything about opportunities to study foreign languages under the HGSE program?  Can you audit classes in general?  Who should I ask about this?  My program has 4 elective classes I believe.  I was wondering if one can be a foreign language, and what school that would take place at?  The other IED/IEP programs I applied to at Penn and TC have foreign language opportunities, but I haven't seen much about it at HGSE.

I don't know about specific opportunities - there aren't classes for this at HGSE. But you can take courses at any of the schools, and audit anything you want with the professor's permission. I audited Howard Gardner's course because I thought it was really interesting, and I actively participated in the class and did all of the reading and assignments except for the major final project. I got a lot out of it! I know someone in my program who took multiple film courses at the College while he was at HGSE. They recommend you don't take more than four courses per semester which is so sad because you will want to just take everything everywhere. I only cross-registered at the Kennedy school but it was really awesome. Actually, 50% of my course load was K school second semester. EPM you could basically take whatever you wanted. There is also the J-Term option where you can take any course at any of the schools in January while the majority of Harvard is on break for 5 weeks. I found the J-Term options to be limited though.

2 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

The interview dates are February 25 and 26th. We'll hear in about two weeks most likely. (The interview dates are on the website somewhere. I did a lot of digging). I haven't heard anything except for a confirmation email that my materials were in on Jan 5. Ahhhh i just want to know. Especially since I have a charity gala on the 27th so I need to know if I'm flying back that day and how to plan, etc.

Thanks! I'm trying to stay positive. My getting in is a long shot, but I gamble a little!