HGSE 2016

aina7

2 hours ago, writegirl said:

Well, I got the official "package" today as well. Grrr the mandatory healthcare coverage is over double what I pay now, and I have a really good plan right now... to waive that fee, it looks pretty difficult.

Fingers crossed for the financial aid package this week or next?

How is everyone else doing now that life has calmed down? I'm self-employed and shutting down the business in order to go to grad school, and it's been a tumultuous week to say the least.

The health costs are annoying to me.  I was wondering if state health insurance (affordable care act) would be cheaper, but apparently you can't get that if you're up for student insurance.  I don't think we'll get the financial aid package until the end of next week or the week after.

Good luck shutting down!  Sounds busy.  

I'm just counting down the days until I visit Cambridge!!

My acceptance package came in the mail yesterday. I didn't see any new info; it just reiterated what is already on the website or in the accepted student portal.

I am concerned about the cost of Harvard's healthcare as well. Here is the waiver checklist. My significant other and I are leaving our jobs at the end of the school year and will thereby lose our health insurance. I am going to do some research to figure out if I qualify for Obamacare AND if Obamacare qualifies for waiving the Harvard healthcare fee. I'll let y'all know what I figure out.

As for how life is post-acceptance and pre-matriculation, I am just trying to make it to the end of the school year. I teach in a Chicago Public School and there will probably be a city-wide teachers' union strike before the end of the school year. :blink: Also, I just found out I got into UT-Austin (which is ranked #3 in the country for ed admin). I am leaning heavily towards Harvard, but the program at UT-Austin is really solid. Maybe even better than Harvard's SLP (which is ranked #5 for ed admin). All this to say, I am really looking forward to getting my financial aid package so I can do a precise cost / benefit analysis. Don't worry though. I'll most likely end up at Harvard B)

18 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

My acceptance package came in the mail yesterday. I didn't see any new info; it just reiterated what is already on the website or in the accepted student portal.

I am concerned about the cost of Harvard's healthcare as well. Here is the waiver checklist. My significant other and I are leaving our jobs at the end of the school year and will thereby lose our health insurance. I am going to do some research to figure out if I qualify for Obamacare AND if Obamacare qualifies for waiving the Harvard healthcare fee. I'll let y'all know what I figure out.

As for how life is post-acceptance and pre-matriculation, I am just trying to make it to the end of the school year. I teach in a Chicago Public School and there will probably be a city-wide teachers' union strike before the end of the school year. :blink: Also, I just found out I got into UT-Austin (which is ranked #3 in the country for ed admin). I am leaning heavily towards Harvard, but the program at UT-Austin is really solid. Maybe even better than Harvard's SLP (which is ranked #5 for ed admin). All this to say, I am really looking forward to getting my financial aid package so I can do a precise cost / benefit analysis. Don't worry though. I'll most likely end up at Harvard B)

I was actually inquiring about healthcare in this thread:  

Please share what you find!  It sounds to me like we won't be eligible for Obamacare in place of Harvardcare :P .  

I'm also a NYC teacher trying to survive this school year!

Can I ask where you found ed admin-specific rankings? I've only ever really seen ed school rankings overall, not by program.  In particular, I wish I could find actual rankings for my program, International Ed. 

Thanks for the info, everyone. Yeah, I saw that list, and it seems unlikely my plan in CA will apply. Still, while it's an annoying charge (and the gym fee!), it's not tempering my enthusiasm. To have 9 months where I get to be the student, and not the teacher is going to be glorious. I fly out to Boston next week to check out the area and meet some people before the official visit day!

16 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Can I ask where you found ed admin-specific rankings?

U.S. News puts out an annual ranking of top grad. schools for education and then rankings for different specialties. U.S. News doesn't have a ranking for International Ed. I'm guessing because it is a relatively new discipline.

Thanks!

Weird though, I thought I just saw a new list that had HGSE at #1, but Stanford appears to be there now.  Not that it matters, nor do I think this is really quantifiably accurate.

I wish there was a way to know about my program.  Oh well!

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Thanks!

Weird though, I thought I just saw a new list that had HGSE at #1, but Stanford appears to be there now.  Not that it matters, nor do I think this is really quantifiably accurate.

I wish there was a way to know about my program.  Oh well!

have you decided between penn and hgse yet? :)

35 minutes ago, dear_valentine07 said:

have you decided between penn and hgse yet? :)

Still totally torn, basically not trying to choose until after the open houses in two weeks.

I did meet up with my best friend who went to Penn for undergrad in engineering (is now in med school) and is generally one of the wisest people I know.  She loved Penn as an undergrad but basically thinks I should choose HGSE for very simple reasons:

1)  She thinks cost and shorter program is better in the long run financially (although until I hear about aid from HGSE, the programs are about even, and I may or may not receive a big scholarship from Penn in a few weeks)

2) She thinks program ranking is the most important, and although I don't have such information for IEP/IED, we do know that Harvard is #2 and Penn is #6.  I don't think this is very significant, though.

3) She does say that Harvard's network is unfathomably impressive and that, whether we like it or not, connections and prestige means a lot in this world and can lead to amazing opportunities.  She said it sucked to spend 4 years of college trying to explain that she didn't go to Penn State (which is a great state school that a lot of our friends went to, but it's annoying when people don't know the difference, especially considering how prestigious Penn is).

4) She said that people don't know Penn internationally.  She is Indian and said everyone in India/her family knows Harvard, but they did not know Penn until she went there.  Considering I want to work in international development and policy, coming from a school that is TRULY a known quantity across the globe, even in more remote places, is definitely a plus.

Edited by Heather1011

Hi everyone,

Quick question from a future applicant: I have been thinking more about applying to the Special Studies program, but while the program description makes it seem like something geared to those with diverse interests that cut across HGSE programs (me), I also get the sense that they're looking for older applicants who are relatively experienced (not me).

Do others also get the sense that they are looking for a relatively experienced cohort? And does anyone know how large it is?

Thank you :)

I'm so super anxious about financial aid!!  Also, I don't know why I only just saw this on HGSE's website:

"Grants generally range up to the present maximum of $13,000 and are awarded on the basis of financial need."

Which is weird because I definitely read several people receiving $14,000 last year... but anyway... I've heard that "need" might be largely determined by how much existing educational debt you have.  I am fortunate in that I do not have any debt right now.  But that doesn't mean I don't "need" the support too.  I hope they still give me something helpful :(.  A small grant and work study would be nice.  Just praying for not 100% loans.  

Edited by Heather1011

On 3/17/2016 at 10:40 AM, saurabh.khanna said:
Dear folks

Hope you are doing well. Kudos to those who've received their admits! I am a graduate student of Education from India. I understand it's a bit early, but due to my apprehensions, I am posting here to gain some insight and advice regarding grad schools I'd be applying to this year (for Fall 2017). I am aiming for a PhD in the domain of education technology. Your views would be extremely helpful for me.

My experience includes software development, research analytics, and teaching in low income schools. Here's an overview of my current profile:

Education:
B.E. (Hons.) in Computer Science from BITS Pilani, GPA: 3.36/4 (served as Vice-president of Association of Computing Machinery (ACM))
M.A. in Elementary Education (ongoing) from TISS Mumbai, GPA: 4; Class topper
(Both top tier universities)

Professional Experience (excluding internships): 4 years (till date)
1 year as a software developer
2 years as a Teach For India Fellow 
1 year as a Research Assistant at the Centre for Education, Innovation and Action Research (I am currently working on designing secondary school mathematics curriculum and developing learning games, in an edtech project for underprivileged children, undertaken by TISS Mumbai and MIT Boston)

2 journal publications; 2 conference proceedings publications; conducted 1 public talk.

A few of my queries presently are:
  • I have currently looked at HGSE, Stanford (LSTD Specialization), Peabody College, and Penn GSE, as possible destinations. Should there be any other good schools I must look at?
  • I have understood that doctorate programs at top schools have acceptance rates less than 5%. With my current profile, it would be great if you could comment on whether I even have any realistic shot.
  • As a prospective PhD candidate, there might be some loopholes in my profile that I must be missing. It would be great if you could provide me with any feedback, so that I can work on those in the coming months.
I am taking my GRE in May. Looking forward to any feedback from your side. Thanks. :)

I'm so glad there's also someone here freaking out about applying for the fall. Should we continue on this post or make a new post for 2017?

44 minutes ago, sassypenguin said:

I'm so glad there's also someone here freaking out about applying for the fall. Should we continue on this post or make a new post for 2017?

It's too early for you to freak out when those of us who just got admitted aren't even FINISHED freaking out :lol:  We're still waiting on financial aid decisions and where we'll end up... our bodies are not even cold yet! :lol:  

Excited for all of us, though... admitted or applying!  Best of luck to everyone in 2017!

Also, as a weird followup to my previous post about the website saying the maximum grant is $13,000.... well, it does still say that, but I noticed in the admitted students package, one of the financial aid documents says the max grant is $16,000.... so I assume that is the more updated version.

Edited by Heather1011

3 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Also, as a weird followup to my previous post about the website saying the maximum grant is $13,000.... well, it does still say that, but I noticed in the admitted students package, one of the financial aid documents says the max grant is $16,000.... so I assume that is the more updated version.

You can also get merit awards on top of the grants that make the total exceed $16k. They try to give you a competitive package.

1 minute ago, Fleet23 said:

You can also get merit awards on top of the grants that make the total exceed $16k. They try to give you a competitive package.

Thanks for the info.  It just seems like the merit awards are super specific (the 3 that we all applied to ... leadership, urban scholars...), and that those would be very hard to get.

36 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Thanks for the info.  It just seems like the merit awards are super specific (the 3 that we all applied to ... leadership, urban scholars...), and that those would be very hard to get.

Ya, unfortunately I get that sense too. I wish the merit scholarships were more general....

Good news if the max need based grant is up to $16k though.

Edited by Cat Time

4 hours ago, sassypenguin said:

Perhaps it's a good idea to start a new thread...as a fellow 2017 applicant I feel a bit intrusive posting in 2016 threads.

32 minutes ago, Fleet23 said:

If you don't mind me asking, I notice that you got $20k to Harvard for your Master's...do you mind sharing what type of funding that was (e.g. need based + merit; just merit, etc.)?

8 minutes ago, Fleet23 said:

I could be wrong, but as far as I understood it the super specific awards were only the FULL scholarships. My 20k total was a combination of a merit award plus need-based grant. The grant was 12,400, and the other award 7,600. 

So did they specify what the merit award was, or simply that you got an unnamed merit award?  I'm comparing this to my Penn award, which simply stated "merit scholarship" based on my application.  It isn't clear from HGSE's website that they do that.  

3 minutes ago, Fleet23 said:

It was called an "Impact Award."

I think I'm more nervous waiting for this than I was for the actual acceptance! Ha!  Like, I was pretty zen/OK with maybe getting rejected from HGSE, but the $$ is the real kicker.

21 minutes ago, Fleet23 said:

I know what you mean. And your friends don't want to hear you whine about your first-world problem, haha.

They definitely do not, haha :lol: I'm simultaneously waiting on a FLAS ($33K grant) decision from Penn... it's nuts, because I don't take much stock in horoscopes, but I am SUCH a libra when it comes to decisions---I can't make them, because I just weigh every aspect of both sides.  A month ago I was hoping I'd get rejected from Harvard so I wouldn't have to decide between Penn & Harvard.  Now that I'm in, and leaning toward Harvard, I'm hoping Penn rejects me from the scholarship so I won't have to feel torn on THAT decision.  

SO many first world problems.