HGSE 2016

aina7

10 hours ago, writegirl said:

I hope it's not April 4 :( That's the date of the Stanford open house. I'm already torn between the two, and it would be worse if I couldn't go to both open houses.

@writegirl I'm in the same boat (Stanford POLS and HGSE Ed policy). I have no idea how to choose, and I was really counting on the preview day.

46 minutes ago, dear_valentine07 said:

anyone in EPM know when accepted weekend is?

Not sure about special EPM days but the April 4 general day lets you sign up under your program. 

Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I have been accepted to IEP program. Would like to connect everyone who got accepted, since we all started our journey together on this forum,we should all stay connected and meet in person so that we can all stay connected during our year at Harvard. I know Heather is in my program, and there are a few more,someone from UAE got into special studies. Let us all send our contact info through personal messages. For all who did not get in,do not feel bad,try next year. There have been plenty of candidates who got in after being rejected. Look forward to connecting with people from all over the world who have been accepted. 

Edited by Huskyboy2015
typo

10 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

this is so strange, it keeps telling me that i don't have access to random parts. maybe it's not updated yet

I get that too!  Glad it's not just me.  I hope they are aware of it.....

10 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

where did you find the link for the general day?

I'm trying to find it again.... I originally saw it under a program's page that was not my program. I see there's a link on the MBE page but it doesn't work for me.  Weirdly enough, I see it under my program (IEP) page now, but the link doesn't work... but I was able to register yesterday? I really don't know where it is now, but I did get this confirmation email:

Dear Heather,

Your registration for the April 4 Open House for Admitted Ed.M. Students was successfully processed. We look forward to seeing you on campus soon!

Event: April 4 Open House for Admitted Ed.M. Students
Date: Monday, April 4, 2016
Time: 8:15 AM to 6:00 PM

I just booked my train tickets to come April 3-4!  IEP has an alumni conference on April 2-3 and all admitted students are invited.  I'll be at Penn's open house on April 2, but I'm hoping to catch the end of the conference on Sunday!  It's gonna be a whirlwind few days.... Penn and Harvard all in one weekend.

Edited by Heather1011

19 hours ago, shookienewman said:

@writegirl I'm in the same boat (Stanford POLS and HGSE Ed policy). I have no idea how to choose, and I was really counting on the preview day.

Well, I'm in the TIE program, and it looks like TIE specific Open House is April 1 and Stanford's is April 4. So I will just have to do many cross country flights. And I guess if the general admitted students day is the 4th, I will just have to miss it. There's no way I could make a decision without visiting both schools, since there doesn't seem to be that much about Stanford online!

FWIW, I just re-read the acceptance letter and it says the pre-matriculation website isn't really available until next week, so maybe they'll be updating it more in the coming days, and fixing links and such.  It's pretty clear that much of it (like the messages from students and other stuff) has been the same for a few years.  I noticed they have out-of-date subway prices and such :P 

Can't wait to visit, though!  I'm definitely depending on the open houses to help me make my decision... that and I'm really nervous about financial aid!

I think we all have to decide if we are going to accept before we get a group together and meet, I am going to wait for the financial aid before I decide. Sorry, I forgot that a lot of people have multiple acceptances.

Edited by Huskyboy2015
change

2 minutes ago, Huskyboy2015 said:

Does anyone know the last day for us to accept? i guess we need to know the financial situation before we can decide?

I think April 15 is the deadline for almost all schools.

On 2016年3月3日 at 10:21 AM, teppeice said:

Congratulations! I just checked my spam mail and realized that I got into the ICE program! Hope good news will keep coming for all of us! 

Nice to hear that! And it seems that you are also accepted to HGSE. Congrats! 

I'm late to the party, but I literally had to run to the opening night of a show I'm music directing right as I got the news.  I got accepted to the EPM program though!  I am really excited and need to think things over, but sadly the more and more I think about finances the more I am thinking I probably won't be able to go to Harvard.  There's the cost of attendance, plus living expenses and I still have $40K in student loans from my undergrad.  I might choose a less well known program with full funding as my option.  Maybe if I ever decided to get a Ph.D. I'll apply to a "name" school.  There seems to be more assistance for doctoral programs. 

Congratulations to all those that got in though! 

13 minutes ago, teppeice said:

Yes indeed. Thanks a lot! Have you decided where to go yet?

Nope - I applied for several PhD programs (fully-funded ones, but not big names I guess) and now I'm waiting for their decisions. Do you think I should go Stanford instead of going to one of the PhD programs if I am admitted? I wanna be eventually a researcher/univ professor so some say it is better to get PhD quickly, but others say Stanford is worth paying for, and I should go first Stanford masters and then consider PhD. 

6 hours ago, eduphd said:

Nope - I applied for several PhD programs (fully-funded ones, but not big names I guess) and now I'm waiting for their decisions. Do you think I should go Stanford instead of going to one of the PhD programs if I am admitted? I wanna be eventually a researcher/univ professor so some say it is better to get PhD quickly, but others say Stanford is worth paying for, and I should go first Stanford masters and then consider PhD. 

Depends if you want to be a university professor at a school like Stanford, or it doesn't really matter where?  Because if you want the a professor/researcher at a big name place, maybe it does pay to go to Stanford first.

10 hours ago, Heaslch09 said:

I'm late to the party, but I literally had to run to the opening night of a show I'm music directing right as I got the news.  I got accepted to the EPM program though!  I am really excited and need to think things over, but sadly the more and more I think about finances the more I am thinking I probably won't be able to go to Harvard.  There's the cost of attendance, plus living expenses and I still have $40K in student loans from my undergrad.  I might choose a less well known program with full funding as my option.  Maybe if I ever decided to get a Ph.D. I'll apply to a "name" school.  There seems to be more assistance for doctoral programs. 

Congratulations to all those that got in though! 

same here - I don't have student loans, but otherwise am in a similar situation. still, waiting for the funding letters before making the final decision.