HGSE 2016

aina7

Hello All,

I have been following for a while, but this is my first post.  I was accepted to the EPM program and I cannot believe it.  I am so excited to start my experience at HGSE and I am looking forward to connecting with many of you.  

They updated the pre-matriculation site with more detailed agendas about the open houses!  Seems like half are on Monday April 4th and half are on Friday April 1.  I'll be there on Friday! Anyone else? :D

14 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

They updated the pre-matriculation site with more detailed agendas about the open houses!  Seems like half are on Monday April 4th and half are on Friday April 1.  I'll be there on Friday! Anyone else? :D

I'll be there Friday! Then, flying straight to Stanford (with a stop in Atlanta?!) Flights were crazy expensive for me since I couldn't book tickets until a few days ago. Excited! Though I am horrid with transitional periods. Many more months of work to go, and I'm itching to go to grad school tomorrow.

1 hour ago, writegirl said:

I'll be there Friday! Then, flying straight to Stanford (with a stop in Atlanta?!) Flights were crazy expensive for me since I couldn't book tickets until a few days ago. Excited! Though I am horrid with transitional periods. Many more months of work to go, and I'm itching to go to grad school tomorrow.

Same! I also hate my job right now, and my current masters program is pissing me off with busy work and unclear prompts for the busy work *sigh*.  Can July just get here? (That's when I'm moving to wherever.)

Hi all, I just got into the Harvard M.Ed. in HDP. I'm eager to figure out what kinds of work HDP graduates do and what kinds of internships they typically have. Is anyone else also considering this track and have any research to share? I plan to attend the April 1st admitted students day and am excited to meet you all there!  

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this is out of place here, but I didn't see any threads for 2017 applicants and I don't have the guts to start a 2017 thread in March! I would be very thankful if someone could help me assess my chances of admission for next year.

Applying for: Ed.M. 
Program: Education Policy and Management OR Higher Education (the one I'm leaning toward)

GRE Score: V 170, Q 155, AWA: 5.5 (99th, 60th and 98th percentiles)
Undergrad GPA:  4.1/4.33; BA in Political Science with a few academic awards
Work Experience: I am 26 and by fall of 2017 I'd have 2 years in university administration (e.g. program coordinator); 2 years as a researcher in a law firm; and a summer experience as a policy analyst for local political party. I worked full-time throughout school and took a little longer to graduate than most (early 2014 graduate), so unfortunately I may fall short on post-grad work experience even though I feel like my WE during university was still significant.

Volunteer Experience: Founded a very small non-profit which donates products to local shelters; provide free tutoring to students from low-income backgrounds
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public
Research Experience: Minimal (UG coursework, research in a law job)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Not sure

2 minutes ago, Cat Time said:

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this is out of place here, but I didn't see any threads for 2017 applicants and I don't have the guts to start a 2017 thread in March! I would be very thankful if someone could help me assess my chances of admission for next year.

Program: Education Policy and Management OR Higher Education (the one I'm leaning toward)

Work Experience: I am 26 and by fall of 2017 I'd have 2 years in university administration (e.g. program coordinator); 2 years as a researcher in a law firm; and a summer experience as a policy analyst for local political party. I worked full-time throughout school and took a little longer to graduate than most (early 2014 graduate), so unfortunately I may fall short on post-grad work experience even though I feel like my WE during university was still significant.

Volunteer Experience: Founded a very small non-profit which donates products to local shelters; provide free tutoring to students from low-income backgrounds

I think you have a very good shot at acceptance!  Your GRE scores are awesome. I'm convinced at least half the reason I just got accepted was because I had a 5.5 AWA as well, and you have that verbal score to boot! (I had 155 Q too).  So you've got the grades and numbers, and your work experience seems super relevant.  As long as you spend a lot of time communicating clearly your aspirations and goals, and acquiring strong recs, I think you have an EXCELLENT shot! :)   

1 minute ago, Heather1011 said:

I think you have a very good shot at acceptance!  Your GRE scores are awesome. I'm convinced at least half the reason I just got accepted was because I had a 5.5 AWA as well, and you have that verbal score to boot! (I had 155 Q too).  So you've got the grades and numbers, and your work experience seems super relevant.  As long as you spend a lot of time communicating clearly your aspirations and goals, and acquiring strong recs, I think you have an EXCELLENT shot! :)   

That's nice to here!

Congrats on your great results  :)

Just got a phone call from a student in my program!  She talked to me for 25 minutes and was SUPER helpful and informative, gave me great advice about how she chose between Stanford, Penn, and HGSE, and really did a great sell of Harvard!  She talked about networking, jobs, classes, the works!  It was great.

29 minutes ago, NOTObsessiveForumChecker said:

Hi!

newly admitted EPM here. anyone know when we can expect financial aid info and also about scholarship/grant thingies?

thanks for this and for everything previously!

I think by the end of the month.  Probably the last week in March (just based on previous years).  The bigger scholarships (Urban Scholars etc) probably go out sooner, or maybe have already been awarded.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:55 PM, Cat Time said:

Hi everyone!

You sound like a GREAT candidate - good scores, diverse experience - and personally I think the founding a non-profit bit is particularly impressive... it seems like a lot of admitted students in various programs I looked at have done things like that. HGSE in particular puts quite an emphasis on innovation and entrepreneurship etc (a vibe I got from IEP events) so having shown that kind of initiative would be very helpful I'm sure. (Though I'm not in Admissions - so take with a grain of salt - just my personal opinion!).

Edited by marature

On 3/10/2016 at 1:13 AM, Heather1011 said:

Just got a phone call from a student in my program!  She talked to me for 25 minutes and was SUPER helpful and informative, gave me great advice about how she chose between Stanford, Penn, and HGSE, and really did a great sell of Harvard!  She talked about networking, jobs, classes, the works!  It was great.

Yeah I was not expecting a phone call since I'm not in the country, but I got an email inviting me for a Skype chat instead! It was a great opportunity to ask questions and the student was very helpful.

4 hours ago, marature said:

You sound like a GREAT candidate - good scores, diverse experience - and personally I think the founding a non-profit bit is particularly impressive... it seems like a lot of admitted students in various programs I looked at have done things like that. HGSE in particular puts quite an emphasis on innovation and entrepreneurship etc (a vibe I got from IEP events) so having shown that kind of initiative would be very helpful I'm sure. (Though I'm not in Admissions - so take with a grain of salt - just my personal opinion!).

Thank you for the helpful response!

Has anyone received their official letter of acceptance via postal mail? Also, has anyone heard any news about financial aid packages? Based on last year, I'm guessing we'll receive our financial aid packages sometime after Wednesday of next week (3/23). Just an estimate though.

7 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

Has anyone received their official letter of acceptance via postal mail? Also, has anyone heard any news about financial aid packages? Based on last year, I'm guessing we'll receive our financial aid packages sometime after Wednesday of next week (3/23). Just an estimate though.

Yes my mum sent me a msg yesterday to tell me something came by postal mail! No fin aid news. I was hoping for the end of the week, since they estimate it comes out about 2 weeks after notifications, but I have no definite info... would love to know soon tho'! Also about the other awards (not sure if they come together or if it's a separate notification?). If any gets news about those, please let us know! :) 

3 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet!! Waiting patiently.  Also waiting on my lucrative tax return... would be a nice combo in the mail this week :D 

Maybe the IRS saved you the hassle and just sent your tax return straight to Harvard. That's where most of our money is heading anyways haha :P

9 hours ago, marature said:

Yes my mum sent me a msg yesterday to tell me something came by postal mail! No fin aid news. I was hoping for the end of the week, since they estimate it comes out about 2 weeks after notifications, but I have no definite info... would love to know soon tho'! Also about the other awards (not sure if they come together or if it's a separate notification?). If any gets news about those, please let us know! :) 

Just got mine in the mail! I'm international so it was FedEx'ed over. I was running late so rifled through it at school while waiting for students to arrive and they saw the folder and freaked out...

5 hours ago, Cat Time said:

Just curious,

Education Policy and Management applicants (excluding those who plan on seeking a PHD) what type of jobs do you hope to get after graduation?

5 people have asked me that in the past two days! I've honed my answer to a diversion/joke:  "umm.. maybe like the department of Ed? but probably Starbucks.")

Well, I got the official "package" today as well. Grrr the mandatory healthcare coverage is over double what I pay now, and I have a really good plan right now... to waive that fee, it looks pretty difficult.

Fingers crossed for the financial aid package this week or next?

How is everyone else doing now that life has calmed down? I'm self-employed and shutting down the business in order to go to grad school, and it's been a tumultuous week to say the least.