HGSE 2016

aina7

19 minutes ago, Levon3 said:

No. I had almost-as-enticing offers with more money.

Right now HGSE is about tied with Penn in terms of money for me.  However, I *may* end up receiving a $33K grant + small GA stipend from Penn.  I'm trying to decide if that should be the deciding factor.  With HGSE, I would need to take out a small loan.  However, the loan will not be very great (I could pay it off within a few years with an average salary).

4 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Right now HGSE is about tied with Penn in terms of money for me.  However, I *may* end up receiving a $33K grant + small GA stipend from Penn.  I'm trying to decide if that should be the deciding factor.  With HGSE, I would need to take out a small loan.  However, the loan will not be very great (I could pay it off within a few years with an average salary).

Will you get the grant info before April 15? I do think you can pay off HGSE in <5 years if you're single and frugal.

29 minutes ago, Levon3 said:

Will you get the grant info before April 15? I do think you can pay off HGSE in <5 years if you're single and frugal.

Yes, they said "April" and I assume that means by the deadline.  If not, I will just have to assume I won't get it and decide that way. 

I'm single (well, legally speaking), definitely frugal, and Would probably take out only $5K in loans.  I have been saving up A LOT for grad school on my teacher's salary (hence the frugality).  So in that sense, not a real permanent burden at all.  I guess that's why I didn't get any need-based grants, although I'm still surprised because my savings is not even in my name, and my annual income is still <$35K, so I'm surprised HGSE thinks I can pay for it.  They're right, though.

Edited by Heather1011

5 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Yes, they said "April" and I assume that means by the deadline.  If not, I will just have to assume I won't get it and decide that way. 

I'm single (well, legally speaking), definitely frugal, and Would probably take out only $5K in loans.  I have been saving up A LOT for grad school on my teacher's salary (hence the frugality).  So in that sense, not a real permanent burden at all.  I guess that's why I didn't get any need-based grants, although I'm still surprised because my savings is not even in my name, and my annual income is still <$35K, so I'm surprised HGSE thinks I can pay for it.  They're right, though.

It's frustrating that your responsibility means you get less from them. On the other hand, I like that they take need into account.

4 minutes ago, Levon3 said:

It's frustrating that your responsibility means you get less from them. On the other hand, I like that they take need into account.

Yeah, I feel torn about complaining.  On the one hand, other people need more grants because they don't have as much saved up as me.  On the other hand, I worked really hard to pay off my undergraduate debt and save thousands for grad school, why can't I get some financial credit for that? But I'll just count my blessings that I've gotten in and won't have to put myself too far out with loans.

Definitely. I was pretty intensely frugal in my years out of school, and paid all of my undergraduate debt as well as some family debt. So yes, I understand why I don't "need" the money, but using up such a huge chunk of hard-earned savings is a scary thought! Stanford's program is looking more appealing because of the financial situation and because it's likely just as good as Harvard's, but Harvard would put me in driving distance to my SO, so I can't deny that's biasing my decision. Either way, I'll be sitting in on a class at Harvard on Thursday, and I'll let you all know what I think if you're interested!

I will be at the April 1st open house, and if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee or bounce ideas off regarding decisions, I'd be happy to meet in "real life"! If it helps, I'm in the TIE program, in my mid-20s, and work as a sci-fi/fantasy/writing instructor for K-8 kids. A huge motivation for pursuing graduate school was that I felt pretty isolated working out in the suburbs alone, and wanted to meet other dedicated teachers.

@Heather1011 @writegirl I'm in the same boat. Paid off all undergraduate loans in 2 years. I am especially confident that I'll be able to pay off Harvard loans in ~2 years with the higher salary.

In other news, my significant other and I are looking forward to visiting Harvard this weekend. We are staying with a current doctoral candidate, attending the SLP Accepted Students Day, and doing reconnaissance on where to live.

17 minutes ago, writegirl said:

Definitely. I was pretty intensely frugal in my years out of school, and paid all of my undergraduate debt as well as some family debt. So yes, I understand why I don't "need" the money, but using up such a huge chunk of hard-earned savings is a scary thought! Stanford's program is looking more appealing because of the financial situation and because it's likely just as good as Harvard's, but Harvard would put me in driving distance to my SO, so I can't deny that's biasing my decision. Either way, I'll be sitting in on a class at Harvard on Thursday, and I'll let you all know what I think if you're interested!

I will be at the April 1st open house, and if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee or bounce ideas off regarding decisions, I'd be happy to meet in "real life"! If it helps, I'm in the TIE program, in my mid-20s, and work as a sci-fi/fantasy/writing instructor for K-8 kids. A huge motivation for pursuing graduate school was that I felt pretty isolated working out in the suburbs alone, and wanted to meet other dedicated teachers.

I'm also observing a class on Thursday!  Which one are you attending?  I'll be at Reimers' Educational Innovation class from 1-4pm.  See everyone Friday!

1 hour ago, Heather1011 said:

I'm also observing a class on Thursday!  Which one are you attending?  I'll be at Reimers' Educational Innovation class from 1-4pm.  See everyone Friday!

I'm going to Richards' Entrepreneurship in the Education Marketplace at the same time!

10 minutes ago, dear_valentine07 said:

where did you guys go to sign up to observe a class?

I can't seem to find the link anymore but if you email Kindra Lansburg in admissions she's the one who arranges it. Or just call admissions! 

Would any 2017-2018 applicants (or anyone else!) be up for trading statements of purpose via PM? I've completed a draft and am looking for some feedback.

(and sorry for again posting 2017-18 related comments in the 2016 thread!)

Edited by Cat Time

33 minutes ago, Cat Time said:

Would any 2017-2018 applicants (or anyone else!) be up for trading statements of purpose via PM? I've completed a draft and am looking for some feedback.

(and sorry for again posting 2017-18 related comments in the 2016 thread!)

Having been through this whole process now, posts like these bother me. Firstly, because the great majority of the folks on this thread have been through all the statement nonsense. We've passed it. So, I think it's just inconsiderate to inject that back into this conversation now. I can promise any 17-18 folks lurking, you have plenty of time to fret. Don't start now. Enjoy your spring. Read books about education. Read books that aren't about education. Read classics. Read poetry. Think deeply about your own experience. Once you think you've come to some great conclusion, go deeper. Show your writing to the people who know you best. You need to get to the essence of what makes you different, and that's the majority of the process. Or just start the 17-18 thread and fret together. Not here, please.

2 hours ago, JWalters said:

Having been through this whole process now, posts like these bother me. Firstly, because the great majority of the folks on this thread have been through all the statement nonsense. We've passed it. So, I think it's just inconsiderate to inject that back into this conversation now. I can promise any 17-18 folks lurking, you have plenty of time to fret. Don't start now. Enjoy your spring. Read books about education. Read books that aren't about education. Read classics. Read poetry. Think deeply about your own experience. Once you think you've come to some great conclusion, go deeper. Show your writing to the people who know you best. You need to get to the essence of what makes you different, and that's the majority of the process. Or just start the 17-18 thread and fret together. Not here, please.

While I can understand your message, I don't think it was communicated effectively. These people asking for SOP feedback are genuinely interested in these programs, and don't deserve a condescending post with a pretentious tone. Using words with negative connotations such as "inconsiderate" is rude, and uncalled for on this type of forum that should have a positive and mature community. I do think you could have been more polite in recommending that someone starts up a 2017 thread. As someone entering the field of education leadership, I think it is important that you are also conscious of the words you use and how they can be interpreted. ^_^

Edited by Dracos

It's no biggie. I can see where JW is coming from and I was going back and worth on whether I should post in here anyway, because while the posters in this thread have been very helpful and I'm sure there are 2016-2017 lurkers reading, I know you 2015-2016 applicants (and soon to be Harvard students!) have different issues to deal with.

Edited by Cat Time

24 minutes ago, Cat Time said:

It's no biggie. I can see where JW is coming from and I was going back and worth on whether I should post in here anyway, because while the posters in this thread have been very helpful and I'm sure there are 2016-2017 lurkers reading, I know you 2015-2016 applicants (and soon to be Harvard students!) have different issues to deal with.

Your posts bother no one! We're all here to help!

i just had the MOST incredible open house at HGSE. I'm 100% certain now I want to attend, but I'm going to do my due diligence and go to Penn tomorrow. I'm on the train right now and will have zero time to write up more details about my experience today, but suffice it to say my mind was sufficiently blown times 100 and I just can't fathom turning HGSE down now, even if I get that big Penn scholarship. I'd be happy to share all my notes from today (11 freaking pages!!) in a day or two if anyone's interested  

Biggest factor was meeting all my potential classmates. They were inspiring. 

Edited by Heather1011

Heather, while I am quite certain to attend HGSE myself next fall (and hence no dilemma to resolve), I'm just purely interested on what "mind was blown times 100" constitutes. It would probably help me feel better about shellacking out our tuition money. I hope you take time at some point to post your notes or a distilled version of it at some point. 

2 hours ago, Deaners said:

Heather, while I am quite certain to attend HGSE myself next fall (and hence no dilemma to resolve), I'm just purely interested on what "mind was blown times 100" constitutes. It would probably help me feel better about shellacking out our tuition money. I hope you take time at some point to post your notes or a distilled version of it at some point. 

I will!!

I'm on my way back from Penn now, and it's official--when I get home, I'm submitting my deposit for Harvard!!! 

Penn literally shot themselves in the foot when a professor admitted to me that Harvard has unbeatable career services and job placement and that Penn still has a lot of work to do in this regard.  While this isn't my only consideration, it's probably my biggest one, so there we go  

I will definitely share more details about the open houses for everyone. 

Edited by Heather1011