HGSE 2016

aina7

3 minutes ago, elveintiocho said:

I'm sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, Higher Ed is the most competitive of all HGSE masters to get into, mostly due to them being such a small cohort (as compared to, for example, TIE or IEP which are relatively larger in size).

I just wanted to leave a tip for any future forum reader applying to Higher Ed. You might want to consider applying to Special Studies, which is relatively easier to get into, and then you can take all Higher Ed courses. 

Ah, well I appreciate that info. I really appreciate you giving us the heads up about decisions coming out today Elve. I've read a little about the Special Studies program. That would be clever for someone to apply to that, and then use the interdisciplinary nature of that program to take the classes they want. When applying to HGSE, I was leaning toward Higher Education or Prevention Science. Perhaps I might have done better going the other route, but hindsight is everything. :P

At this point, I'm mostly leaning toward: 

1- Applying for entry level advising positions with my M.S 

2- Penn GSE's Higher Ed Program (Which includes a built in Assistantship program that doesn't sound too bad at this point ^_^)

2 hours ago, Dracos said:

Congratulations everyone who got in, and best of luck! 

I was rejected, although this makes my decision a bit easier. I'm already finishing up a M.S through JHU, so I'm thinking this probably wouldn't have been the wisest move for me anyway and I'm interpreting it as a sign to try to go straight into applying for positions in higher ed after finishing my degree. 

Penn's Higher Ed program is still very tempting, but I don't think I want any additional debt and don't really need another master level degree especially with my undergrad experiences. Gah! Decisions...decisions... ^_^

I also was just accepted to Penn's Higher Ed program but rejected from Harvard's.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! :)

1 minute ago, travelgirl125 said:

I also was just accepted to Penn's Higher Ed program but rejected from Harvard's.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! :)

Ah, so we're in the same boat! Does this edge you to Penn a bit more? The welcome email they just sent out with upcoming assistantship info gives us something to look forward to. ^_^

I got accepted to Special Studies !! Barely slept through the night (I am 9 hours ahead of Boston)...woke up 3 times to check...and finally saw it around 5 AM my time ...woke up my wife ...hahaha :-)

Ahhhh congratulations to all on the acceptances! Was anyone accepted to Arts in Education? I was rejected today; haven't come across anyone in this forum or otherwise who applied/was admitted... 

55 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

The impostor syndrome is already setting in. Like, there's no way I belong there or am as qualified as everyone else! But I got in somehow!

i was JUST thinking about this!!! i'm already making a list of all the books I need to read before school starts...

I just logged onto the pre-matriculation website with the Harvard Key... can anyone find info about admitted students day/weekend at HGSE?  I saw on the IEP page, it said there was the IEP alumni conference April 2-3 that "corresponds" to when the open house will be, but I didn't see anything about the actual open house!

Actually, I see there's a link to "receptions" in different cities, but it doesn't work for me :(

Edited by Heather1011

I have been rejected. I was wondering if anyone got into the Mind, Brain and Education program. 

I feel so happy and want to congratulate everyone that got in. It will certainly be a life time experience for all of you guys. I am sending you all the energy I had preserved for my graduate studies so your time is the most fulfilling of your life. 

Somehow I thought at some point it was doable but obviously I wasn't good enough. I must confess I am struggling now with having to tell everyone I got rejected. Don't seem to be able to properly deal with this whole thing. 

Trying to remind myself that at least I am ahead in fearlessness regarding life, if I compare with so many people that wish to go to and Ivy League but don't even apply. Although I wish now, I had never gone through all the trouble to get rejected. 

Thanks to this forum for giving us support! 

Wishing everyone the best of luck now that our life's reclaim us back! 

47 minutes ago, betweenthepages said:

I don't think it really hit me until I watched the video? Major props to the person that made it, it actually got me a bit teary!

What I learned from that video is that everyone who works at HGSE, went to HGSE :lol:

6 hours ago, writegirl said:

It's April 1st. I found it under the Masters specific program link.

Which program link did you see it under?  I didn't see it under my program. 

Edit:  Actually, it looks like it is somewhat program specific, but that most of the events are happening Monday April 4.  I found a link to RSVP on the School Leadership page, but the RSVP is for all programs and you select which program you are.  Is this main open house?  Anyone going?

Edited by Heather1011

17 minutes ago, writegirl said:

I hope it's not April 4 :( That's the date of the Stanford open house. I'm already torn between the two, and it would be worse if I couldn't go to both open houses.

It is April 4.  I just RSVPed, at least....

Some programs have special event days around that weekend.  IEP, for example, has an alumni conference that admitted students are invited to on April 2 & 3.  I have to visit Penn on April 2, but I've RSVPed to the conference so I can check out the end of it on April 3.

Tha vast majority of the acceptances I have seen are for Masters programs. I have only seen one person admitted to Edld program. Considering it's a cohort of only 25 I'm assuming most of us got rejected. Any one accepted to Edld or PhD programs?  I'm an alum with a Masters in Teaching and Learning. I'm just so curious of what qualifications accepted students have because I want to reapply. 

Thanks!!!!

Edited by Spanteach

59 minutes ago, Spanteach said:

Tha vast majority of the acceptances I have seen are for Masters programs. I have only seen one person admitted to Edld program. Considering it's a cohort of only 25 I'm assuming most of us got rejected. Any one accepted to Edld or PhD programs?  I'm an alum with a Masters in Teaching and Learning. I'm just so curious of what qualifications accepted students have because I want to reapply. 

Thanks!!!!

I applied to the EdLD, did not hear anything, and got a rejection yesterday. The rejection was not specific, so I assume it covered both the EdLD and MA program.

To be fair, I did not spend much time on my MA application. I thought even the MA program would be an interesting opportunity, but I already have a PhD in another field and two MAs, so I was not sure this degree would be worth leaving the workforce for a year at this point in my career.

I have two other offers (one full-time PhD, one executive-style EDD--both programs VERY highly rated) and one other possibility (very positive conversations with the program, but application deadline is in a few weeks), so this rejection is OK. I already have enough trouble trying to determine what to do that maybe it is a good thing not to have one more option in the mix.

Although I will admit to a twinge of jealousy reading posts from accepted students!

Just out of curiosity--are any of the admitted students here over 40?

3 minutes ago, Spanteach said:

I'm over 40, but as you know, wasn't accepted. Would you mind telling me the executive EDD program you applied to?  I've been researching other options for next year. 

I'm in at Vanderbilt, waiting on Penn. Looked at both USC and SMU, but with the Vanderbilt acceptance, I didn't feel like I needed to apply elsewhere.

If you are interested in the mid-career EDD at Penn, there may still be time to apply for this fall. I think SMU and USC (Global EDD) are still open for applications. 

I know students over 40 were admitted to both PhD and ELDD programs at Harvard last year (somewhere they listed the age range of admitted students), but I have wondered if it is more difficult for applicants over 40 because they may focus on candidates who are earlier in their careers. I read that somewhere. I would not be surprised if they do not get many applicants 40+ just because it may generally be harder to uproot your life and career at that point.

Interesting....I thought they might want the age diversity as well as the experience a seasoned professional could bring. Thank you for the info. I live in MA and have two children; therefore I need to stay in MA. Congrats on the Vanderbilt acceptance. That's great!!

20 hours ago, Dracos said:

Ah, so we're in the same boat! Does this edge you to Penn a bit more? The welcome email they just sent out with upcoming assistantship info gives us something to look forward to. ^_^

Hey, I got accepted into Penn and the letter said I got a 3.5k GA, but I haven't received any info on it. I haven't accept as I'm still deciding where to go. Did you accept already?

19 hours ago, HBDXB said:

I got accepted to Special Studies !! Barely slept through the night (I am 9 hours ahead of Boston)...woke up 3 times to check...and finally saw it around 5 AM my time ...woke up my wife ...hahaha :-)

I got accepted to SS too! Not sure if I'm going yet, but maybe I'll see you in a few months.

2 hours ago, Spanteach said:

Interesting....I thought they might want the age diversity as well as the experience a seasoned professional could bring. Thank you for the info. I live in MA and have two children; therefore I need to stay in MA. Congrats on the Vanderbilt acceptance. That's great!!

The Vanderbilt and Penn programs are both one weekend/month--Friday afternoon to Saturday afternoon/evening. I'm not in either area, so I will be traveling in for the program weekends.

The other two I mentioned--USC and SMU--have that same format. While the cost may be higher, the fact that you can keep working is a huge plus for me.