Submitted Applications 2016 Entry

hippyscientist

I finished my application in September. I was set on one school to pursue my Masters at as I really was intrigued by a PI's work. Submitted and complete in October. On November 13th I got the email saying I was accepted into the program! I will be pursuing my Masters of Science in Microbiology starting Fall 2016! Good luck to the rest of you who have applied to schools!

Edited by MicrobioGuy

Just submitted 5 out of 13 PhD applications! It's a nice start but I'm already dreading the waiting period between now and February/March. Congratulations to everyone who has applied already! We've made it this far!

I'm done with 3 of 11 applications (and questioning all of the decisions that got me to that list of 11 schools). I absolutely cannot wait to be done with my applications. I oscillate from feeling amazing about my qualifications and application to feeling like I'm not going to get accepted anywhere. This is such a nerve-wracking process!! 

Plus, I'm fearing that Stanford isn't counting my transcript as official and my application is headed straight to the rejection pile because of that.... Eep. 

As of five minutes ago I'm officially 100% submitted! Just waiting on CSDCAS (my field's universal application system) to receive my last two transcripts, and my one last professor to submit her freaking letter of recommendation.

If I finish my second final exam tomorrow, then I'll be free from school and school-stress for a whole month!

7 minutes ago, Puffer Fish said:

If I finish my second final exam tomorrow, then I'll be free from school and school-stress for a whole month!

I am envious of this! My exams are scheduled for the second week in January so although I don't have classes, I still have studying and courseworks to do over the holidays (making that a bit of a misnomer).

20 hours ago, piglet33 said:

I am envious of this! My exams are scheduled for the second week in January so although I don't have classes, I still have studying and courseworks to do over the holidays (making that a bit of a misnomer).

Oh, that's definitely different than what I'm used to experiencing! I hope those go well for you.

For me, my classes this year are online, so I basically can take them anytime until the deadline, and the one I finished was a "take-home" exam (a word document that we filled in) so I could take as much time as I needed. My last one is a more traditional, timed, multiple-choice exam that I am not looking forward to. 

5 minutes ago, Puffer Fish said:

Oh, that's definitely different than what I'm used to experiencing! I hope those go well for you.

For me, my classes this year are online, so I basically can take them anytime until the deadline, and the one I finished was a "take-home" exam (a word document that we filled in) so I could take as much time as I needed. My last one is a more traditional, timed, multiple-choice exam that I am not looking forward to. 

That sounds amazing! I have 3 exams - two are 3hrs long and one is 7hrs. The 7 hour one is a stats exam, the two 3 hour ones involve math and essays and short-answer questions. I miss the days of multiple-choice exams. 

Not sure I could cope with online classes though, I like the teacher interaction. Good luck for your more traditional exam though!

I submitted 7 applications in total, just waiting for my recommenders to submit their letters.  I have a final exam 2maro and this thursday and after that I'm essentially all set for a nice long winter break!

Just submitted two more applications. Waiting until after finals next week to complete my January deadline applications, and then I'll be done! Also, graduation is in 13 days, which is a little scary. Totally forgot I was graduating until my mom texted me asking about tickets!

Just submitted the last of my applications today! What an exhausting process. Two years ago, I only applied to three MA programs. This round, I've applied to eight PhD programs!

All I need to do now is submit my GRE scores to three programs. One of those three programs noted that they've already received my GRE scores? How? I didn't send them to that program, and I didn't apply to their master's program two years ago. I think I will send them my scores regardless, in case it is a mistake.

Now, all that's left is ... grading. Grading many papers and exams. 

And then waiting!

On 5.12.2015 at 6:51 PM, Extra Espresso said:

Plus, I'm fearing that Stanford isn't counting my transcript as official and my application is headed straight to the rejection pile because of that.... Eep. 

Why do you think that? I'll also be sending my official transcripts to Stanford this week.

2 hours ago, tallulah said:

Why do you think that? I'll also be sending my official transcripts to Stanford this week.

After I finished my application, my transcript said unofficial next to it, and I was worried that they didn't get my official transcript before the deadline. I emailed my department (BioE), and they confirmed that they had my official transcript and updated it in the system! My app was due 12/1, so I was worried when my transcript hadn't been updated. From what I've seen around the forum, a lot of people are having similar questions with other schools, so I think schools are just slow to update their systems when they receive our materials!

I hope that everyone's finals / work are going great!  

I thought that would post this as an idea for every one else, so I read at one point probably on her that you should unsubscribe to emails that you no longer read to cut down on stress. I started doing this today as I am already jumping at every notification even though it is way to early for me to hear anything. I am looking at mid Jan at the earliest :/ .

I leave you with the hope that your invites and acceptances are speedy and early! 

15 minutes ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

I hope that everyone's finals / work are going great!  

I thought that would post this as an idea for every one else, so I read at one point probably on her that you should unsubscribe to emails that you no longer read to cut down on stress. I started doing this today as I am already jumping at every notification even though it is way to early for me to hear anything. I am looking at mid Jan at the earliest :/ .

I leave you with the hope that your invites and acceptances are speedy and early! 

I saw somewhere on here, too, that someone suggested using a new email account for all application stuff--which of course I didn't see until after starting everything (also I thought it would be more official/better to use my university address--which is also my work address & I get so many emails........ugh). I think I might set up a new one now, though, then make a forwarding rule--send everything re: admissions // re: my school names to the new inbox, then set it to a different sound on my phone, that way it's more obvious if it's something to or not to jump at. A little over-complicated/over-thought, probably, but I know come Jan/Feb I'll be anxious at every single ring otherwise.....

Finished sending in 5 out of my 6 apps...the last school's deadline isn't until early January and I'm waiting for a PoI to get back to me with feedback on my research statement. Ditto the above posters..I'm already starting to get jumpy about getting e-mails from the schools I've applied to although I won't hear anything til mid-late January at the earliest. The waiting game begins....but I will admit it feels good to have everything in.

Edited by geographyumd

Why do schools send you an email titled "News regarding your application XYZ123"??? My heart leapt into my mouth on the train, only to find out they were asking for my IELETS score (which I didn't take because I'm native English and all my education has been in English and all my POIs said not to). Gahhhh. Just tell me already! 

2 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

I saw somewhere on here, too, that someone suggested using a new email account for all application stuff--which of course I didn't see until after starting everything (also I thought it would be more official/better to use my university address--which is also my work address & I get so many emails........ugh). I think I might set up a new one now, though, then make a forwarding rule--send everything re: admissions // re: my school names to the new inbox, then set it to a different sound on my phone, that way it's more obvious if it's something to or not to jump at. A little over-complicated/over-thought, probably, but I know come Jan/Feb I'll be anxious at every single ring otherwise.....

I actually think I will start to use my second email account for this reason exactly! I don't think that's over-complicated- I actually think that's perfect. I used my school email for all of my apps for the same reason- wanted to be official, but it would be so much nicer not to wonder about every email I get (especially since my university email gets a billion spam emails and has a crappy filter). 

Applied this week to PhD in EE at Berkeley, GATech, Purdue, UMich, Masdar, and NCSU. I'm going to submit my application to MIT by tonight.

I plan on applying to Duke and UT Dallas by the end of the month as well.

Wish me luck!

I am now 100% submitted!! 

Already stressed and trying to find new methods of coping to not be glued to my computer every day.

Applied to UPenn, Cornell, Yale, Boston U, PSU, Toronto, and Hopkins. Penn is my top choice but really just hoping that one school says yes!

I hope a Ph.D. in Art History is where I am headed!

Submitted UCLA (that was a couple of weeks back – what's with their ridiculously early deadline?), Chicago, UPenn, and Columbia; still got Cornell to do but their deadline's not for another month. About to email UCLA to apologise on behalf of USPS that my transcripts (yes, they require paper ones straight away) seem to still be stuck at LA airport three weeks after I posted them...

Hoping the weird limbo period between submitting and waiting to hear anything isn't too torturous! I'm working in a 9-to-5 office job on my year out but have been spending basically all of my evenings and weekends for the last couple of months either working on applications, reading articles by my POIs, or feeling guilty for not working on them! Not sure what to do with all this free time now: might start working on setting up a 'Plan B' in case I don't get in anywhere.

6 hours ago, lecturesonnothing said:

Submitted UCLA (that was a couple of weeks back – what's with their ridiculously early deadline?), Chicago, UPenn, and Columbia; still got Cornell to do but their deadline's not for another month. About to email UCLA to apologise on behalf of USPS that my transcripts (yes, they require paper ones straight away) seem to still be stuck at LA airport three weeks after I posted them...

USPS is more terrible than usual during this time of the year. Add on at least an extra 2 weeks on top of the usual delivery period. I'm from Aus, and sent something in Nov 25. It still hasn't made it to the American address I sent it to.