Professor recommendation past deadline...What shall I do?

coffee_maniac

I am applying for counseling psychology PhD at 9 schools. One of my reference professor still hasn't submitted his online recommendations although yesterday (12-01-2015) was the deadline for 7 of the schools. Normally would graduate school have grace period for late arrival recommendations? 

I sent couple of following ups since a month ago to inform this professor of the deadline. He is in general late in grading our homework, late in my last recommendation letter for internship.... I am grateful and everything but this time, he still hasn't submitted my recommendations even after the deadline..... Anybody has similar experience on this? Does it mean my application won't be considered due to this late recommendation? Thanks...Feeling so bombed out...

Hi there! I actually experienced a similar situation last year when I applied for clinical psychology Ph.D programs. One of my reference writers (whom we'll call Laura) didn't submit their letters on time, despite my sending out reminder emails a week in advance and another the day before deadlines. Laura also wasn't responding to any of my reminder emails at all, which made me even more concerned and anxious. 

I didn't know what to do, so I spoke with another reference writer (whom we'll call Sara) who was colleagues/friends with Laura. Sara told me that programs are usually understanding in these situations, and that Laura will probably tell them she's been "sick" to buy herself some extra time. Since Sara personally knew Laura, Sara also offered to contact Laura directly to help get the letters written on time, and I took her up on that offer.

Within a day or two, I finally heard back from Laura and she had submitted her letters by that time.

Long story short, as long as you get all your materials turned in on time, you're all good. Programs won't count it against you if your letter writers are late, so try not to worry about it too much. If you don't hear from this particular reference writer in a couple of days, email him again -- or if you have the option, it would be better to meet him directly in person during office hours and politely ask him about the status on your letters. 

Good luck!

Edited by JoePianist

This happened to me, and the prof was out of the country, unreachable by email! It was really scary.

What (usually) happens is the letters have to be in by the time the committee meets. So generally that gives you a little leeway between the deadline and the committee meeting. I would be very surprised if committees met before the winter break! Most likely they will email you in early Jan if they still haven't gotten the LOR.

Since it is a busy time of year (end of the semester) for profs, I would suggest waiting to ask this professor until you get an email from an adcom asking where the letter is, or 10-14 days have passed. Then a "I know you're busy but I just want to remind you these were due Dec 1" in a nice way should (hopefully) be all you need. I would definitely wait to send that until at least Monday unless a school is really on your case.

Edited by iphi
messed up a word

1 hour ago, JoePianist said:

Long story short, as long as you get all your materials turned in on time, you're all good. Programs won't count it against you if your letter writers are late, so try not to worry about it too much.

Not all of them. One program I applied to disqualified me last year because my supervisor submitted his letter after the deadline. 

30 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Not all of them. One program I applied to disqualified me last year because my supervisor submitted his letter after the deadline. 

Wow, that's harsh and I'm really sorry to hear that. It's not the norm that you'd be penalized for a late reference writer. And personally, I wouldn't want to attend a school that penalizes me for something outside of my control.

Edited by JoePianist

1 hour ago, FacelessMage said:

This happened to me when I was applying for masters. I didn't get into my first choice because my letter writer submitted 10hrs after the deadline (there was a time difference at play too). As it turns out, it was for the best, but at the time I was crushed. 

@coffee_maniac sorry to add more stress to an already stressful situation! If you're really concerned, maybe contact the admin staff for the programmes and ask them what the deal is? 

A lot of departments don't mind late letters. I got into a program where a letter was sent literally almost a month late. (Don't ask me how that happened, btw, but I found out because they wanted to nominate me for fellowship but needed three letters to do so...) At another program, the same recommender had to send their letter in three times (online wasn't done back then for this school) so they mailed it, faxed it, and then finally emailed it directly to the DGS after being frustrated that they were telling me they didn't have the letter the first two times.

Two points of anec-data. First, our department is doing a job search and a priori decided to only consider complete applications. (Not my decision.) So far two candidates have been eliminated for missing letters and one for a missing CV. Second, some fellowships I've applied for require a completed application to be submitted by the deadline. If the system didn't show all letters present it wouldn't let you submit, and then shut down after the deadline.

I'd also hope that most places wouldn't hold a late letter against a candidate because it's outside their control, but it's not a guarantee (especially for higher level things like later job applications, or competitive fellowships).

Edited by lewin

1 hour ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

How would you know that your application is disqualified for incompletion?

It was on the online application portal. That, and the website said they would not consider any applications with missing materials. 

I totally feel ya Stillalivetui. It will be alright. Just make sure always be polite to the reference writer. As an update, the all late recommendations have essentially been submitted. now finger crossed. hopefully those 7 schools people are not super pissed by my late recommendation arriving 2 days after the deadline... Any way, whether it works out or not is really out of my control.... Good luck to you as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My thesis supervisor refuses to let me know what is happening or if she can still be my reference. The deadline is this Monday and I have emailed her, texted her and called her (rings just once and then goes to voicemail). For my CIHR, she sent it in the day of... Super frustrating and I want to make it known to her but I know I shouldn't.. I don't have anyone else to ask so I am really hoping she sends it in soon. But really, all I am asking for is one line to let me know what's up. So unprofessional and messing with my (sanity and) future. Blargh :(

@Syedahum, you do realize most colleges and universities are closed right now, right? That faculty may want to spend a few days with their family and/or friends WITHOUT also having to do work? It's not unprofessional to not answer your email or phone when the entire university is closed. The polite students (and the ones I appreciate the most) are those who at least acknowledge that there's a winter break for faculty and staff, not just for students.

13 minutes ago, rising_star said:

@Syedahum, you do realize most colleges and universities are closed right now, right? That faculty may want to spend a few days with their family and/or friends WITHOUT also having to do work? It's not unprofessional to not answer your email or phone when the entire university is closed. The polite students (and the ones I appreciate the most) are those who at least acknowledge that there's a winter break for faculty and staff, not just for students.

Thanks but I do realize that. And I also realize that the deadline is Jan 4, right after the winter break so they would either have to do it before or during the break. It's just stressful from my end not knowing if she is still able to or willing. Doesn't take too much to just send one line saying yes, I remember and will be able to still do it. I don't want to ruin her holiday and know she deserves the time off. I'd like to spend my holiday relaxing and knowing it will get done in time as well. 

Thanks for your input though 

2 hours ago, Syedahum said:

It's just stressful from my end not knowing if she is still able to or willing. Doesn't take too much to just send one line saying yes, I remember and will be able to still do it. I don't want to ruin her holiday and know she deserves the time off. I'd like to spend my holiday relaxing and knowing it will get done in time as well. 

I know this is going to sound harsh and I understand how you feel because I remember the stress of application seasons myself. However, for your own good, I want to say this:

It is not your professor's problem that you are stressing over the LOR and that it is ruining your holiday. You are the only one responsible for how you feel and it is neither helpful to you (nor professional) for you to blame others for this. 

I want to say again that your stress is certainly warranted---applications are a terrible and crappy time. You're entitled to feel frustration and stress and I'm not taking that away from you. But this does not mean you are entitled to blame others for it, and I think your actions are more unprofessional than your professor's. From the point of view of a third party, I would say that your professor's right to not have to think about work during her holiday trumps your right to know yes/no.

But, I try not to judge anxious applicants at this time of year because I know it sucks. I hope you do get to hear from your professor before school reopens on January 4 but I also hope you understand why you don't the right to know it just because it stresses you out to not know.

9 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

It is not your professor's problem that you are stressing over the LOR and that it is ruining your holiday. You are the only one responsible for how you feel and it is neither helpful to you (nor professional) for you to blame others for this. 

THIS. I have several rec letters to send out tomorrow/Friday but, none of the students who need them are sending me a bunch of emails about it. They sent me their stuff, checked to make sure I received it, and then asked if I needed anything else. If I had to guess, they'll wait until the day before or the day of the deadline to send me any sort of inquiry about whether or not it's done. Why? Because just like I trust students to meet the deadlines I set out in the syllabus, they trust me to meet the deadlines I have. 

If you're stressing out about it @Syedahum, then you need to do something to help yourself relax. The rec letter process is so frustrating because it's one of the few things about your application that you cannot control. Remember that life is full of things you can't control. Figuring out ways to deal with the stress this loss of control produces is going to be key to thriving in life.

16 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

I know this is going to sound harsh and I understand how you feel because I remember the stress of application seasons myself. However, for your own good, I want to say this:

I want to say again that your stress is certainly warranted---applications are a terrible and crappy time. You're entitled to feel frustration and stress and I'm not taking that away from you. But this does not mean you are entitled to blame others for it, and I think your actions are more unprofessional than your professor's. From the point of view of a third party, I would say that your professor's right to not have to think about work during her holiday trumps your right to know yes/no.

But, I try not to judge anxious applicants at this time of year because I know it sucks. I hope you do get to hear from your professor before school reopens on January 4 but I also hope you understand why you don't the right to know it just because it stresses you out to not know.

Haha fair enough. I guess I just have to trust her, which I didn't for some reason.. Let's hope you are right and she gets it done!