Working Full-Time AND Applying

kbui

I don't know how people are doing it, but I was unemployed for 1.5 months (scary) and so I had a lot of time to work on applications. But now that I'm (happily) employed 40 hours a week with a ~40 minute commute (I take public transit) each way, I am exhausted and don't want to do anything besides eat and watch Modern Family after work. I have so much respect for people who have to work full time and apply at the same time

I think this is one of those things that if you're determined to do it then you'll make it work.  My schedule is a bit fuller than yours and I too applied this season and was just set on getting it all done.  Also being exhausted doesn't sound healthy.  Perhaps you should consider some adjustments to your sleep schedule, switch up your exercise routine, or maybe make some dietary changes.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still working full time. Gave all my exams while working and as people before me have stated it is all about priorities. Though, my subject GRE scores might have been slightly affected due to work (trying to get some work published); I'm overall positive about my applications and hopefully will get into grad school someplace. All it takes is determination to pursue a better career. 

I worked full time while studying for exams for the most important professional certification in my field, worked full time while studying for the GMAT, and while applying for school, I was working such a hard and stressful job that it made me physically ill.  It can be done.   It just requires focus.  And a realization that this is only for a season. 

Ah, working full time. Those were the days. I worked full time hours at a restaurant while in undergrad, usually 40 hours over 6 days, but sometimes I'd have to come in on my day off, too, if someone called off. I also took 20 credits every semester, plus tutored 2 hours per week after the first semester. I also did an internship in the summer between my junior and senior years while working. That being said, I didn't find applying to be too time consuming, but I think it did impact my GRE math score.

I'm with the OP, I work roughly 45-50 hours a week and I commute between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours each way (by car, so no passive activities to occupy that time beside defensive driving) and I am EXHAUSTED when I get home. I work in HR, so most of my day is staring at a computer, as well, so I really don't want to stare at my laptop when I get home either. I do agree, though, it's about prioritizing. Sometimes that means starting an SOP a few months in advance and I spent about 4 months studying for the GRE with the last month being really intense studying. All that being said, working full time and commuting the way I do (and I'm sure others do) is exhausting in and of itself. If I were in my early twenties still, this would be way easier, too.

On 1/3/2016 at 1:29 PM, manutdftw said:

Totally agree with MarineBluePsy. It's really not that hard. It's all about priorities.

Yeah, I work full time, have small child, and take undergrad courses typically close to full time. It's all about efficiency. It's definitely not easy, but it's certainly doable. I've only had a few semesters that bordered on impossible.

On 1/11/2016 at 10:24 AM, sackofcrap said:

Imagine the stress of people who work full time and actually attend graduate school as well. I have seen it done!

I would say these people are insane. :) Although I guess it depends on the discipline. I wouldn't do it as history. Too much reading.

On 1/12/2016 at 3:09 AM, KroNoS said:

I'm still working full time. Gave all my exams while working and as people before me have stated it is all about priorities. Though, my subject GRE scores might have been slightly affected due to work (trying to get some work published); I'm overall positive about my applications and hopefully will get into grad school someplace. All it takes is determination to pursue a better career. 

I mirror these sentiments exactly. I'm pretty sure my GRE scores were affected by the circumstances of my life, but I still produced relatively strong applications. I'm positive I'll be going to grad school somewhere (already got one acceptance, yay!).

I can only reflect upon my own life, but having a kid really motivates one. No one in my family went to college, and I really want to be a good example to my daughter. If I have to drag myself through hell, I'll do it.

I've worked full-time during a Master's degree and I applied this cycle working full-time (as a writer). I did a complete overhaul on a writing sample for 2.5 weeks, where I worked 8 hours, drove my 30 minute commute home, and then researched/wrote 6-7 hours at night. Get up, do it over again. I'd written my personal statement over the summer, studied a lot of verbal GRE over the summer etc. so I tried to manage my time well, balancing work/school/relationships. 

I'm sure it depends on the job. My 40 hour job doesn't compare to my friends who I know who work 70-80 hours a week, or those who work full-time and have kids. I have a few other things scheduled besides work (volunteering, etc.) but I just made sure that I made a little time each day or each week leading up to submitting the applications to make it work. It's not something I can do in a day, or even a week or two.

On 12/12/2015 at 11:29 PM, kbui said:

I don't know how people are doing it, but I was unemployed for 1.5 months (scary) and so I had a lot of time to work on applications. But now that I'm (happily) employed 40 hours a week with a ~40 minute commute (I take public transit) each way, I am exhausted and don't want to do anything besides eat and watch Modern Family after work. I have so much respect for people who have to work full time and apply at the same time

Hey @kbui, I know you posted this forever ago, but I happened upon it. I'd like to say that I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT HEAR YOU and think some of the other posters here went a little overboard with their "well I'm doing more" or "it's not that hard" reactions. Sure, you *can* do it all. Sure, some people are juggling more, some less. And shoot, to think, you might even have other things going on in your life that you didn't list in your pretty light-hearted and complementary post that are also influencing your process.  

Anyway, best of luck to you. Hoping you found a community of people elsewhere on here or in the real world who are supporting your process! And congratulations on the job! :)

@mm3733, for sure! I was really stressed at the time of posting, but now things have calmed down and it's all about waiting for the next 1.5 months. I do find work more tiring than it should be, but maybe it's because the work isn't intellectually challenging enough.

I work full-time and teach as an adjunct.  I got my application for my Ph.D program in at the beginning of September and took the GRE a week later on one of my days off.  I had written my SOP and edited my writing sample and CV before the new semester started.  I worked on it a little at a time each day so I wasn't overwhelmed with my work schedule and preparing for the upcoming semester.  If you try to do everything all at once, it's very daunting.  Try setting a little bit of time aside every day to work on your application(s).  If you have the drive, determination, and dream to pursue that degree, you can make it happen!

I also worked 40 hours/week during undergrad on top of living off campus (commuter student).  Went to school full time, volunteered, had a "full time" social life; for me this is "normal".  I worked on my applications when I could, but I had also begun the process early.  

I worked full time and applied to 6 programs. I worked full time in undergrad, my first Master's program, and worked as a TA in my second Master's program...so studying/taking the GRE, working on my personal statement, etc. wasn't that bad. The only thing that was tough was revising my writing sample (significantly overhauling it) without student access to an academic library...I put a lot of time into it about a month before the deadline and never was really satisfied with how it turned out (working all day, coming home and working 8 or more hours on research/writing). THAT part really wasn't fun. It was the first time during this process where I envied full-time students (without jobs). :)

I worked about 60 hours a week during breaks; 40 hours between my GA and internship while taking full-time courses during the semester. It was definitely about prioritizing, but it was worth it. I found themes within my personal statement reflected my work experience, and helped me stay focused on my profession, and not just as a student. I can definitely say that my schedule impacted my GRE math score (as someone else mentioned about). I put in a good amount of study time, and learned a lot of skills, but I really needed a rigorous program, and it just wasn't possible for me. That being said, I wouldn't trade anything. I would rather be working with my clients and tutoring students than studying for a math test, on skills I evidently don't use regularly.