WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

19 hours ago, Demeter said:

I'm running out of movies to watch. I found Accepted to be heartwarming, given that it's like a giant middle finger to the establishment, even if it is farfetched. I need a hobby that makes the waiting easier. 

Impossible!  Watch all the Oscar noms, start hitting the indie and foreign films.......

4 minutes ago, Neist said:

As long as one of us haven't heard anything yet, I think it'll be fine. And I haven't heard anything yet, and I assume you haven't. :) 

Nope. We're good, @Neist. I have decided there will likely be no news from them today, considering it's already after 4 pm. <- impending weekend logic

3 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Nope. We're good, @Neist. I have decided there will likely be no news from them today, considering it's already after 4 pm. <- impending weekend logic

Boo! The weekends are awful :( Sorry you two didn't hear anything. 

5 hours ago, pterosaur said:

Based off of last year, I think the committee for my top choice program is meeting today.

Also, am I supposed to be worrying about the FAFSA right now if I'm applying for funded PhD programs? I hadn't even thought of that!

LOL I completely forgot about the FAFSA I'm so busy cringing at filing taxes.  You know what no one tells you when you finally land a well paying job?  How horrifying taxes are, that most deductions are for poor people, and that if you make a mess of things you really do need to hire someone to help you.  Oh how I miss my poor student days when all I needed was the 1040EZ and my beat up old calculator to do all the figuring myself....wait if I get into a program this round I can go back to that for a few years!

7 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

LOL I completely forgot about the FAFSA I'm so busy cringing at filing taxes.  You know what no one tells you when you finally land a well paying job?  How horrifying taxes are, that most deductions are for poor people, and that if you make a mess of things you really do need to hire someone to help you.  Oh how I miss my poor student days when all I needed was the 1040EZ and my beat up old calculator to do all the figuring myself....wait if I get into a program this round I can go back to that for a few years!

I've used TurboTax for years. It's totally worth the 30 or so dollars. Makes it so much easier. 

I, too, have forgotten about FAFSA. Whoops. I do have a little bit of time though. I can't imagine FAFSA deadlines are next week at any program I'm looking at. That'd be nutty. Most people haven't done taxes this early.

On the subject of motivational quotes, I have two that I like:

"Either you think you can or you can't, either way you are right"

and

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"

The first one reminds me have conviction in my decisions, and trust that I know what I'm doing or that I can learn. The second I actually got as a tattoo following a long series of losses and it reminds me to live each day to the fullest, moving on from the mistakes I've made in the past and keeping a positive outlook for the future. 

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

I've used TurboTax for years. It's totally worth the 30 or so dollars. Makes it so much easier. 

I, too, have forgotten about FAFSA. Whoops. I do have a little bit of time though. I can't imagine FAFSA deadlines are next week at any program I'm looking at. That'd be nutty. Most people haven't done taxes this early.

Yeah there's likely plenty of time on FAFSA deadlines and since I only applied to funded programs I'll just wait until I know for sure I'm going somewhere before bothering.  By then my taxes will be done and I won't have to bother with a revised FAFSA.  Funny you mentioned Turbo Tax, I just got some discount coupon for them so I figure why not.  And I'm definitely getting my money's worth and asking them how to prevent this mess in the future.

3 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

On the subject of motivational quotes, I have two that I like:

"Either you think you can or you can't, either way you are right"

and

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"

The first one reminds me have conviction in my decisions, and trust that I know what I'm doing or that I can learn. The second I actually got as a tattoo following a long series of losses and it reminds me to live each day to the fullest, moving on from the mistakes I've made in the past and keeping a positive outlook for the future. 

More great quotes!  Thanks for the motivational quotes @piglet33.  Considering that I still haven't heard anything back from the programs I applied to, I could really use a little pep talk at the moment!  And that sounds like a cool tattoo!

Just now, pterosaur said:

I got my first acceptance!! Fully funded PhD at CMU! I haven't heard from my top choice, but it's such a relief to have a good offer in the bank.

YAYAYAYAYAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!  Congratulations on the acceptance and the full funding!  Fingers crossed that you get as good of an outcome with your top choice!!!!

4 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

I got my first acceptance!! Fully funded PhD at CMU! I haven't heard from my top choice, but it's such a relief to have a good offer in the bank.

Congrats! :)

Sigh... nothing... I really don't know if they still send out invites in the week of the interviews or just let the rejected wait that long...

Well, I spent the last 2 days editing 300 pictures of a parking garage :/

I used hrblock efile this year and didn't have to pay anything. Turbo tax only lets you file free up to 35,000 or something and hrblock lets you go up to 67,000 or something like that.

2 hours ago, Neist said:

So I'm grading the worst piece of writing I've ever read in my entire life.

I'm glad I have a beer. Ugh.

I'm at the tail end of an intensive course; a few of my students are pulling the "may I pleaaaaaaaaase have an A? I feel like I deserve it as I worked hard!" and part of my feels bad for sighing, taking a sip (or gulp) of cheap wine and emailing back "no."

3 hours ago, bruin228 said:

I guess I've been rejected by 5 schools thus far. :(

If it makes you feel any better (which, it may not), getting rejected isn't necessarily a reflection on you as a student, researcher, human, or educator. There can be seemingly arbitrary considerations as to who gets admitted, such as the personalities on the ad comm, number of current students and their focus, funding, etc.––this is my third year applying to programs, so it's not like I'm saying this from the warm throne of acceptance, but rather the cold sidewalk of rejection. It's a disheartening reality, but please, please don't let that stop you from doing and being what you want.

18 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

If it makes you feel any better (which, it may not), getting rejected isn't necessarily a reflection on you as a student, researcher, human, or educator. There can be seemingly arbitrary considerations as to who gets admitted, such as the personalities on the ad comm, number of current students and their focus, funding, etc.––this is my third year applying to programs, so it's not like I'm saying this from the warm throne of acceptance, but rather the cold sidewalk of rejection. It's a disheartening reality, but please, please don't let that stop you from doing and being what you want.

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate them. It's been a long day/week lol.

I understand that some of this is rather arbitrary, but it's still tough being rejected. I just wish I could know that programs were rejecting me on the basis of fit or something nebulous like that rather than "Man, you're dumb!" like I often imagine it to be.

10 minutes ago, bruin228 said:

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate them. It's been a long day/week lol.

I understand that some of this is rather arbitrary, but it's still tough being rejected. I just wish I could know that programs were rejecting me on the basis of fit or something nebulous like that rather than "Man, you're dumb!" like I often imagine it to be.

I understand the feeling! I often wish the process would be more transparent, and that ad comms would have more....sensical rejection letters, like "Hey! Here is something really specific that wasn't quite working out with our program/faculty/fit" instead of the "LOL NOPE ONLY TEH BESTEST FOR DIS UNIVERSITY!"-type rejections. I wish I could say it gets easier, and perhaps it does a negligible amount, but rejection seems to be always hard. I hope your weekend brings with it cool things!

7 minutes ago, bruin228 said:

Nope, don't even entertain the thought that they think you're dumb. I did this during the time after I had to leave high school. I thought everyone must have thought I was too unintelligent or unmotivated to get through. And that feeling that people thought I was stupid and unmotivated really dragged me down... It sucked what little energy I had, and so it was bad for my health to dwell on that thought. 

That's why this mindset is heartbreaking to me. I know it's so  tough being rejected. It's an awful feeling. But you're not dumb, and adcomms couldn't look at an applicant to grad school and think they're dumb. It is almost always about fit.

We're here for you, to lift you up and help you get through the lows and cheer you on through the highs. 

*huuuuggggs*