WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 hour ago, Foreveronward said:

Tomorrow is Monday. That means committees might be meeting, application portals might be updated, and emails/letters could be sent. I'm so nervous. In part, I'm happy time is passing and we're (slowing) trudging towards the day(s?) of reckoning. The other side of my brain is still fiercely determined to sleep until March. I gave it my all and slept for twelve hours straight today. (4/10, would sort of recommend).

Only a 4/10? I did that yesterday, I give it at least a 6...

25 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Only a 4/10? I did that yesterday, I give it at least a 6...

I think it would have been better on a weekday or something. At least a solid 6 then, especially if I felt like I was sleeping in while the world did adult things. 

8 hours ago, pterosaur said:

My alternative career plan if the grad school/academia thing doesn't work out: start a combination bookstore bakery called The Bookery. But seriously, I'm incredibly lucky to be in a field where there are job opportunities if this doesn't work out.

I've got my fingers crossed for you guys!

This sounds amazing and I'll come help you if you want?! 

Oh monday, how I am not looking forward to this week. Onwards and upwards, time to power through!!  Good luck for the week everyone :D 

I had a really odd dream interview experience tonight. The woman before me presented her research with a painting and something along the lines of "I watched flowers". And they seemed to be impressed. But I couldn't really present what I wanted because everyone in the audience kept interrupting with nonsense. And then everyone had to sing...

So if I don't hear today I might contact the adcom... I mean 3 days before the interviews it is almost guaranteed that they rejected me, but I at least want to know.

2 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

My ceiling started leaking ... at 4:00 AM ... right above where I was sleeping ... >___________________<

All things considered, that's the best place it could leak (save for above the shower). I had my roof leak while I was asleep and it leaked on the far corner of my bed and proceeded to soak my mattress, before going into the carpet and my closet. I was on a third floor apartment and it was an issue with the roof so I didn't realize it until I woke up. By that time the damage was done and they had to rip up the carpet, put in a massive industrial dehumidifier, and my mattress has a permanent stain where the water was. 

Hopefully you got your issue patched or found a bucket before it got too bad! A leaking roof is no joke.

This reminds me of when my apartment in undergrad starting getting water damage from unknown sources and the landlord was a huuuuuuuuge pain about it. Or the time the toilets in the dorms kept breaking and the (all-male) maintenance staff accused us of flushing our feminine hygiene products down the toilet.

I hope yours gets resolved with less damage and hassle!

10 hours ago, Foreveronward said:

Tomorrow is Monday. That means committees might be meeting, application portals might be updated, and emails/letters could be sent. I'm so nervous. In part, I'm happy time is passing and we're (slowing) trudging towards the day(s?) of reckoning. The other side of my brain is still fiercely determined to sleep until March. I gave it my all and slept for twelve hours straight today. (4/10, would sort of recommend).

I woke up at like 5:15 today and knew immediately I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep. I will now approximate the first thoughts that went through my mind: oh crap, I woke up too early. That means I have at least like 5 hours before I could even possibly expect to hear from any schools. What am I going to do all morning...

Ahhh, I love admissions season. Unfortunately I'm not in as good of running shape as I used to be, otherwise I'd run like 10 miles a day to burn some hours.

1 minute ago, nightfarmer said:

I woke up at like 5:15 today and knew immediately I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep. I will now approximate the first thoughts that went through my mind: oh crap, I woke up too early. That means I have at least like 5 hours before I could even possibly expect to hear from any schools. What am I going to do all morning...

Ahhh, I love admissions season. Unfortunately I'm not in as good of running shape as I used to be, otherwise I'd run like 10 miles a day to burn some hours.

Me too!  I woke up right around 5:15 and could not get back to sleep for the life of me.  When I looked at the clock, I was so disappointed that it wasn't closer to a "I might possibly hear something during this time" time.

And I couldn't fall asleep last night until around 2.  I kept trying to convince myself that the sooner I fell asleep, the sooner it would be morning, but it didn't help.  So, here goes my day, with all 3 hours of sleep I managed...  :blink:

1 hour ago, nightfarmer said:

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wants to sleep in as late as possible for this very reason.

I'm in same situation, kinda going crazy over here. I can't sleep at ALL anymore. On the plus side, my best friend got into a program that would be at a school only like five blocks away from my top choice MA program (I'm applying to PhD and MAs)! So that would make me pretty excited about doing that program. 

4 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I am in full blown insomnia mode, y'all. *cries*

One of my friends told me she was having nightmares because she is afraid that her boyfriend and her will break up after he graduates and it terrifies her that he might date someone else. She knows this thinking is irrational, so I didn't really have much to say except ". . . Well. If you don't sleep you won't have nightmares." 

This is how I'm getting through application waiting season. 

3 hours ago, Foreveronward said:

All things considered, that's the best place it could leak (save for above the shower). I had my roof leak while I was asleep and it leaked on the far corner of my bed and proceeded to soak my mattress, before going into the carpet and my closet. I was on a third floor apartment and it was an issue with the roof so I didn't realize it until I woke up. By that time the damage was done and they had to rip up the carpet, put in a massive industrial dehumidifier, and my mattress has a permanent stain where the water was. 

Hopefully you got your issue patched or found a bucket before it got too bad! A leaking roof is no joke.

That's a good point ... the thing is though, this has been a chronic issue!! Ah! I'm in the basement, so it's not the roof ... rather, when my upstairs neighbor showers (yup, he showered at 4am lol), sometimes the water leaks and comes through my ceiling in my living room right above my couch.

Why was I sleeping on the couch? Well, my *other* upstairs neighbors' living room is right above my bedroom, and boy do they like to party. So, instead of me going up there every time they're making too much noise, I've just relocated to the couch on a semi-permanent basis.

So it was like last night, no matter what I did to try to sleep, it was interrupted (unintentionally)!

Sorry to hear you also had a leaking ceiling D: it really sucks and is concerning!

@pterosaur and @SLPgradstudent thank you! Maintenance is coming today ... I think. I hope they're able to fix it for good this time X_X even if this guy does splash water out of his tub while showering, it doesn't mean the ceiling should leak so easily, so I hope maintenance sees it that way ...

4 minutes ago, raaawr said:

What time is it where you guys are? It's 11:20pm where I am, and since my school is in NYC if they're going to email me at all, they should do it now. Lol. I'm going crazyyyy!

@The InterdisciplinarianWhere are you in Ohio? I used to live in Cincinnati lol

It's 10:30AM here. Are you in Asia somewhere? South Korea is about an hour ahead of you, I think? I only know that offhand because I tend to keep track of kpop releases. :P 

@gingin6789I hope they get your ceiling fixed soon. I remember my undergrad apartment leaked through the walls whenever it rains. It's like a horror movie with sticky wet walls but thankfully it's not blood coming out of the walls, just dirty water. Lol! I lived in the 18th floor and there was no window anywhere near the part where it usually leaks so that was frustrating for a bit. I moved to a different building eventually and I was on the 36th floor but the ceiling on the foot of my bed leaks when it rains too. I tried to get maintenance to fix it but it took them forever. I had to move my bed every time it rains. The worst part is when it rains at night while I'm asleep and when I wake up in the morning my feet are cold and wet and my mattress is soaked with water. ?

8 minutes ago, raaawr said:

What time is it where you guys are? It's 11:20pm where I am, and since my school is in NYC if they're going to email me at all, they should do it now. Lol. I'm going crazyyyy!

@The InterdisciplinarianWhere are you in Ohio? I used to live in Cincinnati lol

Yup, it's 10:30 here.  Same time as NYC.  Are they only sending emails at 10:30 in the morning?

Good luck!

Edited by SLPgradstudent