Any late Dec/early Jan applicants? Waiting is so difficult!

Foreveronward

Ugh, my applications were due Jan 4th and I feel like I'm going to be waiting forever. I checked the grad cafe results page, and acceptances usually go out late February, but I'm totally jealous of programs that have already sent out interview requests. It def doesn't help that there is like, no discussion of my program on the forums. The 'Business' sub-forum is mostly MBA students, with no talk of PhD programs. :(

Is anyone else waiting it out? When do you expect to hear back? How are you handling the (excruciating) wait?

My first applications were due December 1, and my last ones will be submitted by tomorrow.

I've already set up alerts in my Google Calendar over two weeks (February 28 through March 12) to check each application website, my email inbox, and TheGradCafe results search at least twice a day. I'm hoping to stick to the calendar pop-up notifications so I don't sit at my desk frantically refreshing pages all day!

My application deadlines ranged from December 1st to January 15th, so I'm kinda just trying to do the rational thing and wait patiently. So, of course, what I'm actually doing is refreshing the Results page and my email about a million times a day.

Hang in there!

Edited by gingin6789
missing word

41 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

My application deadlines ranged from December 1st to January 15th, so I'm kinda just trying to do the rational thing and wait patiently. So, of course, what I'm actually doing is refreshing the Results page and my email about a million times a day.

Hang in there!

My life. 

I submitted my first application December 18th, my second December 28th, and the last isn't due until 2/15.  I'm actually hoping I might hear from at least one school before then, and I won't bother applying to the third school.  It's my 3rd choice school, and I've got a lot of other stuff to deal with between now and then.  If I do apply, I'll just need to finish my SOP, so it won't be that big of a deal.

From past years, it looks like offers for these programs go out anytime between the first week in February to the middle of April.  So I could potentially be waiting for anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 months.  I hope it's the later!

2 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Hang in there!

If you're interested, I might be able to help, at least with the constant refresh of the results page. I set up a little site which will send you an email, or, if you give a phone number on a carrier I support, a text message, within a minute whenever a new result is posted to the results page that matches the program(s) and/or schools(s) you're interested in.

http://gradcafe.myscraper.net

It's just a "quick and dirty" site, so don't expect anything pretty, but it gets the job done. Then you can just focus on all the OTHER sites you need to keep refreshing. ;)

I know we're in different fields, but a late deadline doesn't always correlate with response time. The school with the earliest deadline (Dec 1) took the longest to respond---by the time they requested an interview, I had already heard final decisions from all the other schools!

And as a counterexample: My current program has a Jan 1 deadline and they almost always make the final decision by the 3rd week of January. 

Dbcollies WOW that's amazing! I will certainly be registering for that program! Thank you for developing such a wonderful creation! 

Takeru, that's true!! When I was applying for MA programs 2 years ago, there was a February 1st deadline, and I heard back from them on February 17th!

4 hours ago, AmberRae said:

From past years, it looks like offers for these programs go out anytime between the first week in February to the middle of April.  So I could potentially be waiting for anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 months.  I hope it's the later!

Where are you looking to figure out when your programs sent out invites last year? I'd love to have that kind of information.

6 hours ago, dbcollies said:

If you're interested, I might be able to help, at least with the constant refresh of the results page. I set up a little site which will send you an email, or, if you give a phone number on a carrier I support, a text message, within a minute whenever a new result is posted to the results page that matches the program(s) and/or schools(s) you're interested in.

It's just a "quick and dirty" site, so don't expect anything pretty, but it gets the job done. Then you can just focus on all the OTHER sites you need to keep refreshing. ;)

You are the cat's pajamas. Registered.

@dbcollies thank you! That is so great!

My deadlines are Jan 15th, and I submitted on Dec. 1st. Right now everything is in except one letter. These are going to feel like some very long weeks ahead!

20 hours ago, dbcollies said:

Save my life :)

This tool is the best!

I'm glad my application website doesn't list acceptance/rejection decisions. I'd be checking it every day. :(

Still, they said the official decision would come in the mail. I'm sort of hoping that I'll get a phone call from my PoI or an email about a potential interview first. I'm leaning more towards the phone call option since the website mentioned that they don't send emails (for privacy concerns??). 

These stupid apps are always on my mind D:

I had one due wayyyy back on Nov. 1st and I submitted a few weeks before. The waiting is irritating and I've been checking the results page and have seen a few people who applied to the same university(UCLA), have already received decisions. However, I applied to the MFA screenwriting program, which seems to take longer than any other program at UCLA to make admission decisions. The others are due this month and February, I think one is rolling admissions, so that's one less long wait for me. With my luck, I'll probably get rejected from every one I applied to. :-P

22 hours ago, onceinalifetime said:

Where are you looking to figure out when your programs sent out invites last year? I'd love to have that kind of information.

TheMonkeyOnMyBack is correct, I'm using TheGradCafe's result's search/survey to look for my schools and programs.  You can find it here:
http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

Yeah I've been waiting forever. I submitted my applications months ago even though they are due the 15th. Oh well. I still need to do Texas Tech though. They wanted paper so I'm planning on doing that when school starts again. Their deadline is in June so by sending it out in Jan it looks like they weren't an afterthought. I like their program the other ones just had more pressing timelines.

Well I've found the perfect way to stop stressing- just look at the newly updated acceptance stats for the year prior. 7 programs in the dept, 290 applicants, 11 admits. So I just have to be the top applicant. I knew the U C Irvine Business dept didn't accept a ton of students but one or two a year for my concentration seems so small. What about the cohort? If I was to miraculously get in, would I be with 4 or 5 other people? My 13 person Master's degree class has spoiled me. :(

I just completed the last of my applications today. The last of the deadlines were due on Jan. 15.

At this point I'm just taking a break from thinking about it. It was stressful enough getting fellowship and grad school applications together. I'm certainly not going to worry when there's nothing I can do about it. :)

My applications were all due between December 31 and January 15, and though all of my materials have been submitted, it looks like it'll be a few weeks before I hear back from anyone. The results page indicates that most people who applied to the same schools start hearing back during the last week or two of January. I just want it to be March 1 so I at least know my fate. :) 

Anyone have tips for de-stressing? 

@merteuil Only thing I can suggest is distract yourself!!! Semester starts soon!! If you're in undergrad/master's program now, then hopefully the new semester will distract you.

I've had a pretty cool "distraction" lately. (it's so much more than that though) For a number of reasons, my fiance and I decided to get married a bit earlier than we intended.

We were going to get married in June, but um ... we decided to get legally married in a week.

So, I'm getting married next Saturday! Woo! We're still going to have the bigger, more symbolic and romantic ceremony in June, but we want/pretty much need to get legally married earlier than that.

Got my wedding band in the mail today, got a little white dress (already have ****THE**** dress for our June ceremony though), some new flats, and we just verified everything with the pastor and little venue yesterday.

So, there's a good bit of news among all of my nervous waiting posts! Still ... until then ... ball of nervous energy over here *rolls around the thread*

EDIT: SHOOT, sorry my reply is off-topic! I seriously thought this was the Wine, Wait, and Whine thread!! @___@

Edited by gingin6789

I'm in a master's program now, but the semester doesn't start until next Tuesday! I think I should just bite the bullet and learn to mediate or something to relax. 

4 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Got my wedding band in the mail today, got a little white dress (already have ****THE**** dress for our June ceremony though), some new flats, and we just verified everything with the pastor and little venue yesterday.

New clothes are always a fun way to distract oneself! I had to buy new boots recently, but for a less fun reason than a wedding -- my old ones broke.