Venting Thread

dgswaim

On 4/1/2016 at 11:36 AM, FettuccineAlfrege said:

So... It's really emotionally and mentally draining to spend so much time and energy agonizing over a couple of offers when the possibility of getting off the waitlist into a way better program (where I would definitely go) is looming uncertainly over my head. Bah. 

Word. Try to rank all of the schools in your head so you can make a quick decision once the clock runs out. I also highly recommend letting your WL school know that you will have to accept an offer on April 15th. (This way they won't think they might be able to give you an offer on the 17th). It also might help to tell them that they're your number 1 choice and that you would definitely accept. It might make the difference for them and bump you to the top, if you're not already there, since they know its not a gamble. They want things to be predictable and to fill their slots as soon as possible, once april 15 rolls around. 

I fully deserve and will gladly accept downvotes for it, but my current rant is this: FSU is too fucking awesome, I want to start now now now, and instead I have to wait four more months. In Milwaukee, where for some Godforsaken reason it's snowing. In April. For an entire week.

On 4/4/2016 at 3:22 PM, MentalEngineer said:

I fully deserve and will gladly accept downvotes for it, but my current rant is this: FSU is too fucking awesome, I want to start now now now, and instead I have to wait four more months. In Milwaukee, where for some Godforsaken reason it's snowing. In April. For an entire week.

This deserves precisely none downvotes.

26 minutes ago, philosophe said:

It's like i had three weeks off and now I'm back to freaking out every time I get an email. #WLlyfe

I removed myself from all but one of my stable of wait lists. I can't imagine what it'd be like to be waiting on four at this stage in the game. My hat's off to you!

3 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

I removed myself from all but one of my stable of wait lists. I can't imagine what it'd be like to be waiting on four at this stage in the game. My hat's off to you!

It'll all be over in 9 days!  (But who's counting?) :blink::wacko:

15 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I wish I could buy all my TGC compatriots a round (or 6) of beers on the 16th. We all deserve it!!!

10 minutes ago, philosophe said:

39 minutes ago, philosophe said:

It's like i had three weeks off and now I'm back to freaking out every time I get an email. #WLlyfe

This is me lol. I did not anticipate this level of anxiety. I had never been one to constantly check email, but now I freak out too over every single notification. I'm waitlisted at two schools (including my top choice [major anxiety there]), have gotten into 3 (none with funding though), and am still waiting to hear back from another. There's such a variety of emails that could come my way. 9 more days!!! ?

17 minutes ago, Scroop said:

This is me lol. I did not anticipate this level of anxiety. I had never been one to constantly check email, but now I freak out too over every single notification. I'm waitlisted at two schools (including my top choice [major anxiety there]), have gotten into 3 (none with funding though), and am still waiting to hear back from another. There's such a variety of emails that could come my way. 9 more days!!! ?

we'll make it through!

I defended and was approved on my masters thesis yesterday DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? I am a Master of Arts, holla.

...A Master of Arts without a PhD acceptance waiting in the wings, I make bad life choices. Here's hoping for good news from NSSR and BU in the next week!

1 hour ago, bechkafish said:

I defended and was approved on my masters thesis yesterday DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? I am a Master of Arts, holla.

...A Master of Arts without a PhD acceptance waiting in the wings, I make bad life choices. Here's hoping for good news from NSSR and BU in the next week!

Congrats! It's definitely a nice feeling to have successfully defended! (did mine a couple of weeks ago)

I hope one of your wait lists comes through for you! If not, try not to lose heart. I know a few people that were shut out when they applied during their second year of the MA, but then did really well the next year when they were applying with MA in hand. Keep the faith!

1 hour ago, dgswaim said:

Congrats! It's definitely a nice feeling to have successfully defended! (did mine a couple of weeks ago)

I hope one of your wait lists comes through for you! If not, try not to lose heart. I know a few people that were shut out when they applied during their second year of the MA, but then did really well the next year when they were applying with MA in hand. Keep the faith!

Everyone in the last several years at UWM who's been shut out has gotten multiple offers the next year. (Except the one kid who actually took the NYU bioethics offer, but we don't talk about him...)

4 hours ago, bechkafish said:

I applied the same semester I finished my thesis and was rejected from everything. This year, my second year, I got lucky. Keep your chin up! 

Huge ball of anxiety today. I can't get any work done because I'm constantly checking my email. It's pretty crazy to think that I submitted these apps in November and here we are on April 8th and I'm still waiting, possibly for a negative result. Something tells me this might be the longest week of my life. I can't wait for it to be over.

Since there's no nail biting or vomiting emoji this will have to do :blink: 

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

Huge ball of anxiety today. I can't get any work done because I'm constantly checking my email. It's pretty crazy to think that I submitted these apps in November and here we are on April 8th and I'm still waiting, possibly for a negative result. Something tells me this might be the longest week of my life. I can't wait for it to be over.

I feel you. Half of the bloody year... What's your #1 choice? :) UCSB would be awesome too, in any case, right?

Edited by AnotherKantFan

1 hour ago, AnotherKantFan said:

I feel you. Half of the bloody year... What's your #1 choice? :) UCSB would be awesome too, in any case, right?

Yeah, I'd probably take any of my WL schools. UCSB would be fine, but I'd prefer to go somewhere with a better placement record. 

Edited by philosophe

2 hours ago, philosophe said:

Throwin' Up.jpg

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

Yeah, I'd probably take any of my WL schools. UCSB would be fine, but I'd prefer to go somewhere with a better placement record. 

Cool :) Though I recommend setting up a ranking of these 5 places in your mind, because once it comes to choosing you won't have much time :)

8 minutes ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Cool :) Though I recommend setting up a ranking of these 5 places in your mind, because once it comes to choosing you won't have much time :)

I do have a rank in my mind, but the idea of getting off more than 1 WL sounds like wishful thinking rn. I'll believe it when I see the choice arise :P

4 hours ago, philosophe said:

I do have a rank in my mind, but the idea of getting off more than 1 WL sounds like wishful thinking rn. I'll believe it when I see the choice arise :P

Yeah..... I was already admitted of the WL at Utah, so I feel like somehow Penn just ain't gonna happen. I know that the two events are (probably) statistically independent, but I mean... rationality is pretty overrated. 

12 minutes ago, currentphilgrad said:

Is anyone else only on waitlists at this point? It's so stressful! Two of the programs I'm waitlisted at said they were optimistic about giving me a spot; but, the deadline is less than a week away, and I haven't heard a peep. I just want to get in ah!

I'm still on a wait list, too. The DGS said that they'll go to the wait list 'only if all of [their] remaining offers are declined', which only really makes sense if there are more people admitted than there are spots...which seems like a dangerous game to play lol. In any case, I probably won't be admitted. 

(If anyone has another interpretation of what he meant, I'd love to hear it)

Edited by WVE