Venting Thread

dgswaim

I just realised that the paper I wrote as my writing sample has been under review at a journal for 10 weeks now, which is only 2 weeks less than when they promised they'd get it back to me, so now I have one more thing to anxiously check my inbox over.

11 minutes ago, Electric Anxiety said:

For real! Haha. My phone is like "wtf is wrong with this guy refreshing gmail over and over?" 

SAME.  I know that my phone will notify me if I get something, but I can't help but think that it's sync is just broken.

Also, Indiana sent out a mass email (maybe only to their internationals) about the immigration ban, but it was titled "You are Welcome Here".  WHY IU, WHY WOULD YOU TITLE IT LIKE THAT??!?!  What an emotional rollercoaster.

19 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

SAME.  I know that my phone will notify me if I get something, but I can't help but think that it's sync is just broken.

Also, Indiana sent out a mass email (maybe only to their internationals) about the immigration ban, but it was titled "You are Welcome Here".  WHY IU, WHY WOULD YOU TITLE IT LIKE THAT??!?!  What an emotional rollercoaster.

Speaking of Indiana... Tim O'Connor just accepted a position as distinguished professor at Baylor, starting fall 2017. Hope he wasn't anyone's POI there (and, if so, terribly sorry!)

http://alexanderpruss.blogspot.com/2017/01/tim-oconnor-coming-to-baylor.html

Edited by axiomness

6 minutes ago, axiomness said:

Speaking of Indiana... Tim O'Connor just accepted a position as distinguished professor at Baylor, starting fall 2017. Hope he wasn't anyone's POI there (and, if so, terribly sorry!)

http://alexanderpruss.blogspot.com/2017/01/tim-oconnor-coming-to-baylor.html

I was just about to vent about this. I can't stand when faculty moves are announced at this time of year for this reason. Tim was certainly my POI. I'm very frustrated. 

That said, I would still very much like to attend. I'd love to work with Gary Ebbs and Kirk Ludwig, for example. I'm also hopeful that they'll make up for this loss for metaphysics in their department. 

9 hours ago, Dialectica said:

I was just about to vent about this. I can't stand when faculty moves are announced at this time of year for this reason. Tim was certainly my POI. I'm very frustrated. 

That said, I would still very much like to attend. I'd love to work with Gary Ebbs and Kirk Ludwig, for example. I'm also hopeful that they'll make up for this loss for metaphysics in their department. 

Ah, I'm sorry, man. :/

10 hours ago, Dialectica said:

That's terrible to hear. I almost applied to IU, and he would have been my POI no doubt.

There is a silver lining, I suppose, it could be the case that professors leave in the fall. If this happens you'd have students who just started there--and maybe chose program X for this particular person--and now get stuck at a department they would have (now) rather not picked. We had this happen to several students here at Purdue when we lost Steup to CU Boulder last year. 

11 hours ago, Dialectica said:

If it makes you feel better, for one school I wrote down a certain prof as a POI and his retirement was announced about a month before I submitted my application (but he was still listed on the website). I worded my interest in him in rather weak terms considering how old he was, but still...

Thanks for the support @desolesiii, @axiomness, and @necessaryandsufficient . To your point, @axiomness , I feel bad for some folks that just started there who had him as their POI. That would be difficult. My hope for both them and myself (if I get in) is that they have someone in the wings for metaphysics. I won't hold my breath for them having a phil religion person in the works, but that would be cool, too. 

@necessaryandsufficient: that's a bummer. I don't think that will be a big deal, though. But, for that reason and others besides, I didn't make my SOP very specific, for better or worse.

If it's any solace to people looking at IU, I heard from someone there that metaphysics has been deemphasized lately, and O'Connor wasn't super active with grad students lately. (I was going to apply there until I heard this.)

I also screwed up on my SOP, though, not realizing until after I submitted everywhere to actually check the ages of people. Maybe mentioning multiple faculty over 70 at a single school wasn't the best move available.

17 hours ago, Nichi said:

If it's any solace to people looking at IU, I heard from someone there that metaphysics has been deemphasized lately, and O'Connor wasn't super active with grad students lately. (I was going to apply there until I heard this.)

I also screwed up on my SOP, though, not realizing until after I submitted everywhere to actually check the ages of people. Maybe mentioning multiple faculty over 70 at a single school wasn't the best move available.

I'm curious what 'deemphasized lately' amounts to. If you could clarify, that'd be great. Does it mean they don't plan to hire someone whose AOS is metaphysics? Or does it mean they just haven't currently been focusing on metaphysics?

42 minutes ago, Tecumseh Valley said:

I've never checked my email's spam folder so regularly in all my life.

The worst thing is that sometimes you might get spam emails that say something like "PHD OFFER"

And you get excited, and you click on them, and really, they're just an ad for a shady online pharmacy

2 hours ago, Dialectica said:

I'm curious what 'deemphasized lately' amounts to. If you could clarify, that'd be great. Does it mean they don't plan to hire someone whose AOS is metaphysics? Or does it mean they just haven't currently been focusing on metaphysics?

I don't remember all of the details she mentioned, though I do remember she said specifically they haven't had any courses in metaphysics in the few years she's been there.

3 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Don't get me wrong. I love the west coast. But I can't stand having to wait until later in the day for their decisions. Sad. 

Don't you mean, "Sad!" ;)

In all seriousness, Berkeley is consistent but I do wonder if decisions might be delayed because of the major protest yesterday against Milo Yiannopoulos (Breitbart editor).

19 minutes ago, Sam Anscombe said:

In all seriousness, Berkeley is consistent but I do wonder if decisions might be delayed because of the major protest yesterday against Milo Yiannopoulos (Breitbart editor).

I wondered the same thing! Though I am not sure how directly the protests would affect the timing of their decision release?

53 minutes ago, Sam Anscombe said:

I was wondering that as well. Though, like @Witsclaw, I'm not sure how it would delay admissions. In any case, I'm looking forward to next week. Should be yuge—big league (better?). 

p.s. You've got UConn's seal up for Cincinnati. 

5 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

I was wondering that as well. Though, like @Witsclaw, I'm not sure how it would delay admissions. In any case, I'm looking forward to next week. Should be yuge—big league (better?). 

Just got word from the FB group that Berkeley is releasing decisions today!

36 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

Oops, my bad! Will fix that.

This may not be venting, but I have a general haze of confusion about what to be looking out for and when. Are accepted students emailed or called personally (i.e., not just given an update through an application page)? Also, is there any rhyme or reason to the time of day that people are contacted? And do all of the first round acceptances go out the same day, or do they sort of trickle out over time? I'm sure it differs, but a general idea of how best to keep an eye out might ease my worries haha...

From what I've gathered, there is little consistency from school to school. Email seems to be the most popular route, but I wouldn't ignore your phone. If the school is well past the prediction date and/or other people are posting about it, you might want to check the portal. Business hours are common, but there have been acceptances sent out in the 11pm-3am range before. Since nobody demands a response until April 15, you don't really need to worry until April, of course.