Venting Thread

dgswaim

2 hours ago, currentphilgrad said:

Is anyone else only on waitlists at this point? It's so stressful! Two of the programs I'm waitlisted at said they were optimistic about giving me a spot; but, the deadline is less than a week away, and I haven't heard a peep. I just want to get in ah!

That's all I've got; all my hope rests on my waitlists. Not a fun position to be in at all. Really hoping for some significant movement soon.

Edited by Dialectica

3 hours ago, WVE said:

I'm still on a wait list, too. The DGS said that they'll go to the wait list 'only if all of [their] remaining offers are declined', which only really makes sense if there are more people admitted than there are spots...which seems like a dangerous game to play lol. In any case, I probably won't be admitted. 

(If anyone has another interpretation of what he meant, I'd love to hear it)

I think that making more offers than one has room for makes sense, and then waitlisting. If you want 6, you could admit just six and waitlist the rest and run the risk of most of those six sitting on their offers and holding up everything. Or, admit like 15. You will almost certainly get more commitments more quickly and not have the same level of madness on April 15. The one downside is that more than you expect commit...but programs can be pretty confident about what their yield will be based on past years. But yes, this is bad news for waitlistees. You might think that for every declined offer one waitlistee will get a spot, but this might not be true. It might mean, as it sounds like is more like your case, that they made a bunch of offers and only if their yield is much lower than expected will they turn to the waitlist. But maybe I'm wrong! Good luck!

3 hours ago, currentphilgrad said:

Is anyone else only on waitlists at this point? It's so stressful! Two of the programs I'm waitlisted at said they were optimistic about giving me a spot; but, the deadline is less than a week away, and I haven't heard a peep. I just want to get in ah!

Let's keep waiting a few more days and see what will happen to us!  Good luck to everyone here!

On 4/9/2016 at 6:51 PM, Dialectica said:

That's all I've got; all my hope rests on my waitlists. Not a fun position to be in at all. Really hoping for some significant movement soon.

Ditto.

• 2 weeks later...

I never got an outcome from UConn. Is this normal? The application portal still says 'submitted' and everything is there. I solicited and didn't receive a response...

On 4/22/2016 at 7:20 AM, hot.glass said:

I never got an outcome from UConn. Is this normal? The application portal still says 'submitted' and everything is there. I solicited and didn't receive a response...

that's weird. i'd recommend you call the department

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread if that's cool.

I applied to UNM and got a missed phone call from someone in New Mexico. I know UNM can't go through all its applications in 5 days, but this low key gave me hope.

29 minutes ago, Naruto said:

I thought I'd resurrect this thread if that's cool.

I applied to UNM and got a missed phone call from someone in New Mexico. I know UNM can't go through all its applications in 5 days, but this low key gave me hope.

Eeek. I applied to UNM too and I'd be dying if I saw an NM number come through. In fact, since I submitted every time I see an unknown number on my screen, my breath pauses... Alas, always a telemarketer for me. 

I posted about this in another thread but I went to UNM for my undergrad and took courses with the grad students. They used to send out their results pretty late, a few years back it was nearly April 1 and AFAIK it's always past March 1. So I wouldn't worry about getting your results for awhile. If you have any questions about UNM I'd be happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, goldenstardust11 said:

@Swann I'm with you. My personal prediction is tomorrow. But at what point of the day do we call it? 5? 6? This work day is going rather slowly with the wait compounding it!

I hope you're right about tomorrow :). 

And yea, I'm feeling the same about when I should stop thinking about it. I feel like 6pm is a safe bet...(but I don't know, I saw that some acceptances went out last year all the way up to 10:30 pm?!?)

Luckily, I have some work to keep me busy. Its not, however, enough to totally distract me from checking my emails constantly!

3 hours ago, goldenstardust11 said:

@Swann I'm with you. My personal prediction is tomorrow. But at what point of the day do we call it? 5? 6? This work day is going rather slowly with the wait compounding it!

This is on the blog, but remember that the predictions are the mean of the last five (or less) initial notificaton dates. It is by no means a perfect science, especially since DGAs switch sometimes and might do things differently. Some predictions are calculated based on four or five very different dates and might therefore be less reliable, while others are remarkably consistent with initial notification dates (like Berkeley, off the top of my head). But you can also see that last year, many of Jac's predictions were on the nose. All of this is not to undermine the calculations or the peace of mind the predictions give us (I'm in the same boat as all of you!), but it is important to keep this in mind.

1 hour ago, Sam Anscombe said:

This is on the blog, but remember that the predictions are the mean of the last five (or less) initial notificaton dates. It is by no means a perfect science, especially since DGAs switch sometimes and might do things differently. Some predictions are calculated based on four or five very different dates and might therefore be less reliable, while others are remarkably consistent with initial notification dates (like Berkeley, off the top of my head). But you can also see that last year, many of Jac's predictions were on the nose. All of this is not to undermine the calculations or the peace of mind the predictions give us (I'm in the same boat as all of you!), but it is important to keep this in mind.

No no I of course understand that the predictions are imprecise and rather impressions indicating roughly when it is more or less likely that we'll start hearing back. I only say tomorrow because from my gleanings it looks like nw has a tendency to release on wednesdays and fridays and some wishful thinking that your prediction be more or less accurate in this particular instance :)

53 minutes ago, Electric Anxiety said:

Anyone else's anxiety causing them stomach issues? 

No stomach issues here, but my anxiety's certainly been becoming rather palpable recently. It's been stressing me out pretty badly; I find myself less able to focus on things on which I'd like to spend more time. I really thought that I would've heard something by now. I suppose I should be glad no one's rejected me yet, but no news doesn't necessarily strike me as good news. I've been questioning the quality of my letters and my sample, whether I should've applied to different schools, and so on. :mellow:  I'm already working on Plan Bs and Plan Cs (granted, I think this is a good idea for applicants either way). 

Edited by 753982

If I'm not accepted this year, I'll probably start studying for the GRE the week after I take the Virginia State Bar Exam. I didn't have time to study very thoroughly for the GRE first time around because I worked at a golf course doing manual labor, and I would always come home exhausted. I had a vocabularly app that I studied extensively but that was about it. I only studied the quantitative for four days. I had to submit all my applications in early September because they would cut into my study/journal editing time if I waited any long. At the end, my score was 315 (162 V; 153 Q). The day I took the test, I had a splitting headache, and I was incredibly nervous. I'm fairly certain that I could do much better if I had something other than a used Kaplan prep book with which to study. I was thinking about doing the Magoosh course because it was only $100 and they guarentee an extra 5 points to your score if you watch all the videos for the problems you get wrong. 

In any case, I realize how naive I was to have applied to many of the programs I was hoping for. Right now, I'm really hoping for either Virginia Tech or Texas A&M. Those are good Master's programs with great placement records. I don't think it's possible for a Master's program to be any more difficult than my current schedule, and hopefully I will find a less labor-intensive job for the summer so I can finally study for the GRE. Maybe I'll even be able to draft wills during the summer if I pass the bar and am able to attend Virginia Tech. That's sort of my hope at this point. Of course, if I'm accepted to IU, UT, or USC, or UVA, that would be wonderful, but it doesn't seem very likely to me. It's just frustrating during the wait. I want to be able to start formulating a plan! 

23 minutes ago, desolesiii said:

If I'm not accepted this year, I'll probably start studying for the GRE the week after I take the Virginia State Bar Exam. I didn't have time to study very thoroughly for the GRE first time around because I worked at a golf course doing manual labor, and I would always come home exhausted. I had a vocabularly app that I studied extensively but that was about it. I only studied the quantitative for four days. I had to submit all my applications in early September because they would cut into my study/journal editing time if I waited any long. At the end, my score was 315 (162 V; 153 Q). The day I took the test, I had a splitting headache, and I was incredibly nervous. I'm fairly certain that I could do much better if I had something other than a used Kaplan prep book with which to study. I was thinking about doing the Magoosh course because it was only $100 and they guarentee an extra 5 points to your score if you watch all the videos for the problems you get wrong. 

In any case, I realize how naive I was to have applied to many of the programs I was hoping for. Right now, I'm really hoping for either Virginia Tech or Texas A&M. Those are good Master's programs with great placement records. I don't think it's possible for a Master's program to be any more difficult than my current schedule, and hopefully I will find a less labor-intensive job for the summer so I can finally study for the GRE. Maybe I'll even be able to draft wills during the summer if I pass the bar and am able to attend Virginia Tech. That's sort of my hope at this point. Of course, if I'm accepted to IU, UT, or USC, or UVA, that would be wonderful, but it doesn't seem very likely to me. It's just frustrating during the wait. I want to be able to start formulating a plan! 

I feel the same way about my GRE scores. I scored similarly to you (only I had a very slightly higher total score). I definitely think I could score better with more prep and better peri-testing nutrition, but given what I've read on here and on philosophy blogs about the importance of the GRE I doubt I'd retake it myself, nor would I likely want to go through this process again without an additional qualification, like an MA from a reputable terminal MA program. Props to those of you who can bear putting yourselves through the application process more than once, though (especially with the expenses being what they are). 

I suppose we may be allowing ourselves to fret too much, given many schools still haven't released any decisions. But that doesn't change the stressfulness of the process, unfortunately.

Are you interested in the philosophy of law, or perhaps a law-philosophy academic career (ala Brian Leiter)?

Edited by 753982

Stomach problems, problems sleeping, problems enjoying the things I normally enjoy.  yes to all of the above.  I'm just a ball of anxiety in so many ways.  I keep thinking that if I get in nowhere, then that's probably it for me since this is my second time applying.  As a POC, I'm also scared about the US political situation despite being a Canadian citizen.  Obviously, most of the schools I've applied to in the US are in the more left leaning states, but I can't help fret over the feeling that I'd potentially be trading in my safety for an education if I were admitted there.  I can't even imagine what students from the 7 visa banned countries are feeling.

I'm trying to keep these thoughts at bay until I actually hear back from more schools since it's really no use getting anxious over all these what if scenarios before I have any amount of information, but it's just so difficult.

1 hour ago, desolesiii said:

I studied for the GRE while working full-time, so I feel you. While I was able to put some time into studying  and felt more-or-less okay with my GRE scores, I also decided that it was necessary to write a new project for my WS in about 6 weeks, also while working full time. Because I spent so much time on the GRE, I had less time to spend on my paper than I would have liked. I ended up getting lots of helpful feedback, and felt good about the final drafts of it. However, most of the programs I applied to had earlier deadlines, so they got an earlier, and I suspect, less strong version of the paper. Oh well. What's done is done. I also want to start making a plan so I can at least look forward to quitting my much-hated job.

28 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

Stomach problems, problems sleeping, problems enjoying the things I normally enjoy.  yes to all of the above.  I'm just a ball of anxiety in so many ways.  I keep thinking that if I get in nowhere, then that's probably it for me since this is my second time applying.  As a POC, I'm also scared about the US political situation despite being a Canadian citizen.  Obviously, most of the schools I've applied to in the US are in the more left leaning states, but I can't help fret over the feeling that I'd potentially be trading in my safety for an education if I were admitted there.  I can't even imagine what students from the 7 visa banned countries are feeling.

I'm trying to keep these thoughts at bay until I actually hear back from more schools since it's really no use getting anxious over all these what if scenarios before I have any amount of information, but it's just so difficult.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I can't imagine how anxious you must feel. Police discrimation against POC's transcends the urban/rural divide. It always has. :(

49 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

That's what I'm trying to do too. I felt positive, or at least was forcing myself to feel confident, a few weeks ago, but I've gone downhill since. I'm trying to send positive vibes out for myself and others feeling the same way though!

7 minutes ago, jkm871 said:

I studied for the GRE while working full-time, so I feel you. While I was able to put some time into studying  and felt more-or-less okay with my GRE scores, I also decided that it was necessary to write a new project for my WS in about 6 weeks, also while working full time. Because I spent so much time on the GRE, I had less time to spend on my paper than I would have liked. I ended up getting lots of helpful feedback, and felt good about the final drafts of it. However, most of the programs I applied to had earlier deadlines, so they got an earlier, and I suspect, less strong version of the paper. Oh well. What's done is done. I also want to start making a plan so I can at least look forward to quitting my much-hated job.

On the practice tests I was taking, one of the Verbal sections had a longer sample from a Constitutional law treatise on Marburry v. Madison (a subject matter with which I'm more familiar). I scored a 166 on that practice test, so I thought I would be fine. On the actual test, I froze up. I rushed through the final three Verbal questions, and was barely able to skim the final paragraph on anthropology. Maybe it was the headache, maybe it was something else, but the GRE was a fiasco for me. I think I could have raised my quantitative score by about 5 points with only a few weeks of study if I had just had the time back then, and I could have raised my verbal score by three points through happenstance. I only had two math classes in college, and they were six years ago. I'm glad you were able to score well despite your work schedule, but I'm admittedly a little bit envious too. :( 

Working at a golf course was not the most ideal job for someone wanting to study, but I've been doing this for the last six years during the summer. I woke up at 4:55 every day (I am by no definition a "morning person"), would get home around 3:30--5:30 after digging ditches, mowing fairways, or watering greens in 85--95 degree heat, and then all I would wanted to do was sleep. Please don't misunderstand me: I'm very thankful for that job because it allowed me to pay rent through my fall semester---it's just that I can't write explanations like this into my statement of purpose. What type of job are you planning on quitting?

Ultimately, it was a blessing that I submitted my apps early. I received two A's and two B's last semester in law school. In a class of 30, the professors will usually only award 4 A's. The median GPA is 2.5 for first year students so they can weed out those who fall below a 2.0 (my class started with 107 and fell to 80 after the conclusion of the first year because 27 people "failed out"), and then the school changed the median to 2.7 for 2L's and 3L's; however, this past year they must have felt bad for us receiving all these dehumanizing grades, so they upped the median to 2.9--3.1 for my last year. At my law school, a "D" is a passing grade as long as you maintain above a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and those receiving the highest "A" are awarded a "Book Award" in front of the whole law school at a ceremony. Those graduating with above a 2.8 are usually considered good students who are usually projected to pass the bar exam on the first try. Indeed the law school aphorism is: "A-students make law professors; B-students make judges; and C-students make the money." It looks as though I'll be a judge at this rate. 

I got the highest "A" in our philosophy of law class, but I did not receive a Book Award because the school policy was apparently that there must be 8 J.D. students in the class for a student to be eligible for a book award. Unfortunately, one of the eight students in our Jurisprudence class was a Master's student, and Master's students are graded separately and far more leniently. Master's students are given a B pretty much for showing up to class. Our (the J.D. student's) grades are based upon one cumulative, in-class, timed, final exam, which is usually several essays, but some have been multiple choice or a combination of the two. Most students elect to take summer classes so that they can avoid having to study for five cumulative finals at the same time; however, I did not have enough money to afford this option. I've gotten hammered by brutal exam seasons---except for this past year in which I only had four, so I'm very thankful I submitted my applications, as early as possible. 

Wow! I'm so sorry for becoming hypergraphic, but I needed to get all of this "off my chest." I couldn't reduce all of my academic peregrination to writing for my statement of purpose, but I hope my writing sample is cogent. To anyone who actually read all of this, thank you for witnessing my wanderings.:'( I consider myself to be personable, caring, as well as a good lecturer and editor, so I hope some department will at least grant me an interview.