Venting Thread

dgswaim

I applied to Berkeley but haven't heard anything yet. Does that probably mean a rejection? I know worrying won't help, but I'd like to have a realistic idea about my chances of hearing good news in the future. 

55 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

I applied to Berkeley but haven't heard anything yet. Does that probably mean a rejection? I know worrying won't help, but I'd like to have a realistic idea about my chances of hearing good news in the future. 

In years past, it looks like they staggered acceptances over a couple of days (last year, someone didn't find out until three days after the first decision, and a couple of wait list decisions were released the day before that later acceptance). Based on this data, I wouldn't assume anything either way until Feb 6 or 7.

4 minutes ago, Sam Anscombe said:

In years past, it looks like they staggered acceptances over a couple of days (last year, someone didn't find out until three days after the first decision, and a couple of wait list decisions were released the day before that later acceptance). Based on this data, I wouldn't assume anything either way until Feb 6 or 7.

Thanks!

On February 1, 2017 at 11:26 AM, necessaryandsufficient said:

If it makes you feel better, for one school I wrote down a certain prof as a POI and his retirement was announced about a month before I submitted my application (but he was still listed on the website). I worded my interest in him in rather weak terms considering how old he was, but still...

Update: I got in anyway. 

It seems more and more unlikely that I will receive acceptances from a number of continental schools I'm hoping for. But I am on the waitlist at NW, so if the continental-ly person who got in there could just turn it down, that'd be greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. 

I applied to 10 schools, and I've heard back from 0. 

Ze-ro.

On the outside, I look very placid, but on the inside I'm rage screaming about 18 out of the 24 hours of the day. I'm afraid of rejection emails. I'm afraid of interview emails (new anxiety!!). I know some people don't even hear back until late March, early April. I don't think I can go that long.

Thank God for thegradcafe. None of my friends are in the middle of this, so they try to be understanding but don't really get it. Most of graduate school, from application to prelims, is just a long, long hazing process. 

19 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

I applied to 10 schools, and I've heard back from 0. 

Ze-ro.

On the outside, I look very placid, but on the inside I'm rage screaming about 18 out of the 24 hours of the day. I'm afraid of rejection emails. I'm afraid of interview emails (new anxiety!!). I know some people don't even hear back until late March, early April. I don't think I can go that long.

Thank God for thegradcafe. None of my friends are in the middle of this, so they try to be understanding but don't really get it. Most of graduate school, from application to prelims, is just a long, long hazing process. 

Applied to eight schools, most of which have accepted people by now. Have heard nothing. I am right with you!

37 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

Applied to eight schools, most of which have accepted people by now. Have heard nothing. I am right with you!

Hmm...I haven't seen any posts about UT Austin, Arizona, UVA, UCSD and Colorado-Boulder yet.

2 hours ago, gradcoffee said:

Hmm...I haven't seen any posts about UT Austin, Arizona, UVA, UCSD and Colorado-Boulder yet.

Fair enough; I said that without actually counting. I guess Arizona and UVA are already giving me anxiety. 

9 hours ago, matchamatcha said:

Supposedly, I'll be hearing back from some places this week. Still trying to think positive or withhold judgement or whatever, but I can't because determinism.

inorite? At least one school is predicted each day this week for me, having heard nothing yesterday or today...

7 minutes ago, Turretin said:

inorite? At least one school is predicted each day this week for me, having heard nothing yesterday or today...

Yep. And I'm really weirded out by the 1 Chicago and 2 Brown acceptances. Not sure whether people just aren't posting on GradCafe, or if there's still news to come.

59 minutes ago, Turretin said:

I noticed you applied to IU as well, which is supposed to be today.  To the philosophy program, I assume?  I wonder if HPS has a similar timeframe of notification as the phil program.

Gaaahhh, I wish it was standardized and that we used the same system to apply to all schools and on some pre-specified date, we just log into the system and it tells us all our accepts/rejects.

56 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

I noticed you applied to IU as well, which is supposed to be today.  To the philosophy program, I assume?  I wonder if HPS has a similar timeframe of notification as the phil program.

Gaaahhh, I wish it was standardized and that we used the same system to apply to all schools and on some pre-specified date, we just log into the system and it tells us all our accepts/rejects.

The HPS program historically releases significantly earlier than the philosophy department at IU. Of course, given that we're all especially cognizant of Hume's problem of induction . . . . 

Dr. Kate Abramson has produced some of my favorite contemporary research. It's a shame I've only discovered her work recently.  

Today I couldn't help overhearing a professor say to one of my peers that they should go out and celebrate his acceptances. I felt miserable because I have also been accepted and wanted to celebrate, but let alone doing something outside my supervisor even turned down my offer to have lunch together at school. What is worse, I'd just given a talk on my thesis which was good, another thing to celebrate, and immediately talk about afterwards if one was interested. It is just that it does not matter how successful I am and how much my supervisor admires me, it never ignites any connection whatsoever, no interest whatsoever in me as an upcoming colleague. When somebody admires you a lot but does not like you, it feels even worse.

58 minutes ago, muddystone said:

Today I couldn't help overhearing a professor say to one of my peers that they should go out and celebrate his acceptances. I felt miserable because I have also been accepted and wanted to celebrate, but let alone doing something outside my supervisor even turned down my offer to have lunch together at school. What is worse, I'd just given a talk on my thesis which was good, another thing to celebrate, and immediately talk about afterwards if one was interested. It is just that it does not matter how successful I am and how much my supervisor admires me, it never ignites any connection whatsoever, no interest whatsoever in me as an upcoming colleague. When somebody admires you a lot but does not like you, it feels even worse.

Take all your students out to lunch someday. :(

1 hour ago, muddystone said:

Geeze. This vignette is depressing. That blows.

Edited by Turretin