Declining 2016

psm1580b

14 hours ago, dgswaim said:

Ha!

Mainly Matt Haber, Jim Tabery, and Jonah Schupbach. But they have a bunch of cool people doing stuff related to what I'm doing (Stephen Downes, Melinda Fagan, Anne Peterson, Dustin Stokes, Miriam Thalos), which is a big part of the appeal. The resources are quite deep. Plus, they really emphasize developing teaching expertise in addition to research, which is huge given the current market.

Guess what? -It worked! :P

7 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

I declined UPenn last night.

You're my favorite!!! Now I just need to convince them that we do relevantly similar things and so they should give that spot to me!!

Is it always the case that if someone declines an offer then some other student will be admitted off the waitlist?  I was told that I was one of the first on ND's waitlist, but I still haven't got a spot even if two students in my line have turned down their offers.  They just initially admitted more students than the number of students they can have in the incoming class.  Moreover, since Harvard's visiting days are from April 11 through 14, a few top students will decide very late and this will create a log jam for many programs.

Here I want to encourage our people, who are not waitlisted in clearly better programs, to decide by April 14 so that our waitlisters can have a good chance of being admitted before the deadline.  Thank you very much for your efforts.

Edited by Davidspring

26 minutes ago, Davidspring said:

Is it always the case that if someone declines an offer then some other student will be admitted off the waitlist?  I was told that I was one of the first on ND's waitlist, but I still haven't got a spot even if two students in my line have turned down their offers.  They just initially admitted more students than the number of students they can have in the incoming class.  Moreover, since Harvard's visiting days are from April 11 through 14, a few top students will decide very late and this will create a log jam for many programs.

Here I want to encourage our people, who are not waitlisted in clearly better programs, to decide by April 14 so that our waitlisters can have a good chance of being admitted before the deadline.  Thank you very much for your efforts.

It's not always the case that it's a one to one ratio of decline for WL offer. For instance, a school might make 10 initial offers and hope for 5-6 spots to be filled. In that case, they would likely only begin to take from the WL once 5 initial offers have been declined. That being said, every bit helps! Stay in touch with the DGS, they may be forthcoming about how many initial students have declined / likelihood of offer, etc. 

Edited by philosophe

19 minutes ago, philosophe said:

It's not always the case that it's a one to one ratio of decline for WL offer. For instance, a school might make 10 initial offers and hope for 5-6 spots to be filled. In that case, they would likely only begin to take from the WL once 5 initial offers have been declined. That being said, every bit helps! Stay in touch with the DGS, they may be forthcoming about how many initial students have declined / likelihood of offer, etc. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  They still have many students to hear from before they admit anyone from the waitlist.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for more good news.

Edited by Davidspring

10 hours ago, Davidspring said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  They still have many students to hear from before they admit anyone from the waitlist.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for more good news.

I was told that there is a "very high chance" that those who are waitlisted will, eventually, be admitted. In recent years, they have typically exhausted nearly their entire waitlist, even needing to admit initially rejected applicants on occasion.

40 minutes ago, R614 said:

I was told that there is a "very high chance" that those who are waitlisted will, eventually, be admitted. In recent years, they have typically exhausted nearly their entire waitlist, even needing to admit initially rejected applicants on occasion.

Thanks for your information!  Do you mean ND?  They are my first choice, so I'd be super excited if they admit me off the waitlist before April 15.

48 minutes ago, Davidspring said:

Thanks for your information!  Do you mean ND?  They are my first choice, so I'd be super excited if they admit me off the waitlist before April 15.

Yes, I'm talking about ND. From what they've told me, it seems like there's a very good chance they will. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, R614 said:

Yes, I'm talking about ND. From what they've told me, it seems like there's a very good chance they will. Good luck!

That's great news for me!  They told me that they had three acceptances so far.  Thanks again!  Best of luck to you as well.

Hi Friends, now mine is a tricky situation.

I was confused between universities A and B. After much consideration, I chose A over B and accepted A formally on their website but I have not paid the security money yet (to reserve my seat). However between the today and the time I made the acceptance of A, much information (read compelling reasons) have come to light which make me want to go for B now ! (Yes, this time I am sure ^_^)

I am pretty sure that though I had said 'yes' to university A, they would not have reserved my seat just going by my mail confirmation (that is the whole point of the security deposit right :)). But still, I am kind of embarrassed now to go back to them to renege on my affirmation.

Can someone suggest a way out of this please !

2 minutes ago, Bodwiser said:

Hi Friends, now mine is a tricky situation.

I was confused between universities A and B. After much consideration, I chose A over B and accepted A formally on their website but I have not paid the security money yet (to reserve my seat). However between the today and the time I made the acceptance of A, much information (read compelling reasons) have come to light which make me want to go for B now ! (Yes, this time I am sure ^_^)

I am pretty sure that though I had said 'yes' to university A, they would not have reserved my seat just going by my mail confirmation (that is the whole point of the security deposit right :)). But still, I am kind of embarrassed now to go back to them to renege on my affirmation.

Can someone suggest a way out of this please !

If university B is the right choice for you, politely back out via email from A. It's not worth going to the wrong university because you're a bit embarrassed. You have to do what's best for you! It's before the deadline, they'll understand. 

Just now, Bodwiser said:

@philisophe, thanks ! 

Of course I am not going to join university A just to save face... I get your point ;)

If I were you I'd take care of it ASAP though, someone might be on the WL and love to take your place. 

Just now, hot.glass said:

It's all over for me, folks. I've declined offers from Syracuse and Rochester. This is the weirdest mix of emotions I have ever felt.

Congrats on finishing this process! May I ask -- have you taken yourself off the WL at UMass?