Declining 2016

psm1580b

5 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Kudos for going into the finals days very lean. 

Well, my lean toward Utah was heavy enough that it seemed morally unjustifiable to leave someone that might be in the Cincy WL waiting till the 15th.

3 hours ago, hot.glass said:

It's all over for me, folks. I've declined offers from Syracuse and Rochester. This is the weirdest mix of emotions I have ever felt.

I'm curious what you'll be doing--another school or another year? (On mobile, which doesn't show sigs, so maybe the answer is there for wherever else you're accepted at.)

6 hours ago, Ulixes said:

I'm curious what you'll be doing--another school or another year? (On mobile, which doesn't show sigs, so maybe the answer is there for wherever else you're accepted at.)

Haha, I've accepted Cincinnati's offer :) They're an excellent fit for me as I'm a diehard Gibsonian and everyone there seems to be as well. 

Today I declined my offer of admission at Johns Hopkins... I found it emotionally draining, as I've really enjoyed my visit there and their community, and I've been treated really kindly by them during the whole process. So, whoever ends up at JHU - it's s wonderful and supportive place, and you're choosing well!! :) Good luck to everyone wait-listed by JHU.

7 hours ago, hot.glass said:

Haha, I've accepted Cincinnati's offer :) They're an excellent fit for me as I'm a diehard Gibsonian and everyone there seems to be as well. 

Congrats! I really liked it there. If FSU hadn't blown me away we'd have been classmates!

2 hours ago, MentalEngineer said:

Congrats! I really liked it there. If FSU hadn't blown me away we'd have been classmates!

Seconded. I could have been really happy there. If there's anyone out there that's considering an offer from the waiting list or something: it's a super awesome place! It is particularly awesome for those doing philosophy of biology or philosophy of cognitive science. 

3 hours ago, MentalEngineer said:

Haha yeah! What did they do, throw you guys a boat party or something?! (They probably did, didn't they?)

1 hour ago, dgswaim said:

Seconded. I could have been really happy there. If there's anyone out there that's considering an offer from the waiting list or something: it's a super awesome place! It is particularly awesome for those doing philosophy of biology or philosophy of cognitive science. 

Thirded (?) - if anyone has any questions about their program feel free to contact me! 

25 minutes ago, hot.glass said:

Haha yeah! What did they do, throw you guys a boat party or something?! (They probably did, didn't they?)

There actually were boats, although they were optional. I did get my first sunburn in years, which was a perverse sort of selling point.

1 hour ago, Let'sAskThePhilostopher said:

Do you think it's of bad taste to decline a WL mentioning that you accepted an offer from a another program and mentioning that a factor in deciding was that they put their faith in you (by accepting you in the first place)?

Congratulations!  May I ask which program you are in?

Edited by Davidspring

42 minutes ago, Let'sAskThePhilostopher said:

Do you think it's of bad taste to decline a WL mentioning that you accepted an offer from a another program and mentioning that a factor in deciding was that they put their faith in you (by accepting you in the first place)?

Not sure whether it's bad taste or not but I fail to see why this piece of information should matter to the former program. 

Edited by panpsychist

45 minutes ago, Let'sAskThePhilostopher said:

Seems like an unfair thing to say, given the other factors at play in admissions. Either way, what purpose would it serve?

yes, philosophy is a small world, best not to start out in it by making these kinds of remarks to folks.

Edited by AgentScully

Generally, I would say to keep your declines/withdrawals short and sweet. Say you're not going, say something nice about a part of the program that impressed you or how close the decision was, and wish them the best. You can always say more if they ask, though you should think carefully about how candid you want to be.