Declining 2016

psm1580b

On 4/9/2016 at 11:31 AM, AgentScully said:

I have now declined UCSD and UCLA, so that I'm down to my second choice and my wait list choice going into this last week.

Hot potato! Got an email acceptance from UCLA just now. I will probably be turning it down within a day.

5 hours ago, oddnumber said:

Not yet - struggling to decide between NYU and Rutgers (the epitome of a first world problem...).

I've come to characterize my complaints about the difficulties of making my decision as being of the form:

"Look at my yacht! It's so large! I have so much cleaning to do!"

4 minutes ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

I've come to characterize my complaints about the difficulties of making my decision as being of the form:

"Look at my yacht! It's so large! I have so much cleaning to do!"

Haha I like that way of putting it! Where do you think you'll go?

22 minutes ago, oddnumber said:

Haha I like that way of putting it! Where do you think you'll go?

I wish I thought I would go somewhere. I really feel torn between Chicago, Princeton, and Stanford at this point. And I have no idea how I'll manage to make up my mind by Friday.

50 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I'll be declining my offers at UCSB and Arizona by the end of the day! Hope this helps people :)

Just out of curiosity, what made you prefer Indiana over Arizona? I had considered both those schools and I remember the placement record of the latter standing out to me. Is it mostly about AOI? 

4 minutes ago, metapsychic said:

Just out of curiosity, what made you prefer Indiana over Arizona? I had considered both those schools and I remember the placement record of the latter standing out to me. Is it mostly about AOI? 

Placement is much better at Arizona, but a few things made the difference for me: The grad students there have a very heavy workload. They teach 3 sections for all years except for one fellowship semester, up to 75 students (grading for them as well). All that while they're supposed to be doing their own work. That seems like way too much for me, I value my time. Second, the main person I want to work with is considering an offer elsewhere, and as late as yesterday told me he wasn't sure if he was staying or leaving. That leaves only one person in my area of interest, and that's putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Third, they've been jerking me around a lot, (initially guaranteeing one fellowship semester, then saying that will only be the case if I accepted asap) and that seems disrespectful and like a potential red flag. I also am not a fan of the desert climate. Hope that helps to clarify! 

Edited by philosophe

Got a, "We're gonna offer you a slot if you're in a position to accept our offer" type email from Fordham yesterday. I don't even want to open that can of worms, so I'm declining it outright. Nothing against Fordham, but it's crunch time and I'm really drained. I just want to devote my time to Trump memes now. Today, declining Stony Brook, even though I loved them. 

7 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Placement is much better at Arizona, but a few things made the difference for me: The grad students there have a very heavy workload. They teach 3 sections for all years except for one fellowship semester, up to 75 students (grading for them as well). All that while they're supposed to be doing their own work. That seems like way too much for me, I value my time. Second, the main person I want to work with is considering an offer elsewhere, and as late as yesterday told me he wasn't sure if he was staying or leaving. That leaves only one person in my area of interest, and that's putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Third, they've been jerking me around a lot, (initially guaranteeing one fellowship semester, then saying that will only be the case if I accepted asap) and that seems disrespectful and like a potential red flag. I also am not a fan of that climate. Hope that helps to clarify! 

Yeah, definitely, thanks for the response. I understand there's a lot of factors going into this decision and I appreciate hearing how others are approaching it. 

16 hours ago, Another applicant said:

Just declined USC and asked to be taken off the waitlist at Yale and Michigan.

Rutgers class of 2021!!!!

Congratulations!!

if you don't mind me being self-interested, do you know of anyone else who is planning to decline USC?

21 minutes ago, FettuccineAlfrege said:

Congratulations!!

if you don't mind me being self-interested, do you know of anyone else who is planning to decline USC?

Yes, I know of at least one person (I think I know of two) who is planning to decline USC. A couple people I know liked USC, but are still trying to decide between that and other offers. Of course, USC may have over-accepted since they know people will be declining, so it's uncertain what that will do for waitlisted candidates. USC is pretty great, and they're definitely going to get a number of the students they accepted. Best of luck!!!

There has been no movement on the waitlist at ND, which is very unusual, though I know a few have turned down their offers from ND.  Is anyone else deciding to decline ND?

Edited by Davidspring