Declining 2016

psm1580b

This thread is a place for people (like me) to gain small amounts of hope from hearing which school offers people (like you) are going to decline. So, if you've been offered admission (or put on a WL) and have declined or intend to decline, you're welcome and encouraged to say so here. 

Thanks! 

(I did totally steal this idea from someone else, but seeing as it hasn't happened yet--I thought I'd get the ball rolling)

Puss-n-Boots-disney-sidekicks-8530904-358-390.jpg

Edited by psm1580b

57 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

Declined/Withdrew: McGill, BU, UW-Madision

If you don't mind me asking, have you offered an admission from McGill and declined, or you withdrew your application before any decision

Edited by andaval

7 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

I am formally declining my rejections from: Emory, MSU, Oregon, U New Mexico, and Villanova. 

Hope this helps someone out! 

Declining your rejections? It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for her.

Edited by bravesball

47 minutes ago, shitandthings said:

hey guys, whats sorts of things are you saying when you decline? 

I'm going to be declining Rochester, Syracuse, and Florida State (maybe one or two others, not sure) soon, and I don't know how to phrase it.

Same. I sort of wish I could accept all of them (and also all of their money). Everyone is so nice. :( 

1 hour ago, shitandthings said:

I'm going to be declining Rochester, Syracuse, and Florida State (maybe one or two others, not sure) soon, and I don't know how to phrase it.

stuff like "Thank you" "I'm honoured to have been considered/accepted" "I hope I haven't inconvenienced you" etc.

41 minutes ago, DontGetMeSartred said:

I declined my offer from Western Ontario earlier this week. Will also be declining Carnegie Mellon's offer for a master's. I genuinely hope this helps!

Outstanding, thank you! Was this for Western's PhD program I assume? 

26 minutes ago, torpedofish said:

I just declined Toronto, Cornell, and Notre Dame. I've found it surprisingly draining. They're all such great places, and I just kept thinking of the awesome people who work there. Hope this helps somebody.

Wowza. Those are great programs. You must feel elated that you got in. Did you apply to CPAMP at Toronto by any chance?

I think I've posted this elsewhere already, but I've declined my Illinois-Urbana offer and withdrawn my application to NIU's MA program. I'm afraid I don't have any more to offer at the moment! :P

@torpedofish Declined Cornell and Notre Dame! I wish you would've sent me one of those admits :lol:

2 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Wowza. Those are great programs. You must feel elated that you got in. Did you apply to CPAMP at Toronto by any chance?

I feel entirely too lucky. I'm also about to decline UNC, which will be equally draining, I think - such a great place. @MVSCZAR I did apply to CPAMP - I'm guessing so did you? Good luck!!! :) 

@Siegfried42 If only I could!!! 

26 minutes ago, torpedofish said:

I feel entirely too lucky. I'm also about to decline UNC, which will be equally draining, I think - such a great place. @MVSCZAR I did apply to CPAMP - I'm guessing so did you? Good luck!!! :) 

@Siegfried42 If only I could!!! 

I did! I did! :) Eeeeeee.

And it's not so much luck as much as it's that you're obviously just very prepared. 

Edited by MVSCZAR

56 minutes ago, MentalEngineer said:

I am almost certain to decline Urbana-Champaign by mid-March.

Off topic for the thread, but why do you presume rejection from British Columbia?  From the results search, it looks like only a couple wait lists have gone out so far, and if I remember correctly from a couple years ago when I applied there to my MA, they replied with their decision in early March.

On 2/27/2016 at 9:30 PM, shitandthings said:

"I'm in at fucking USC and on the waitlist at fucking NYU so...I'm sure you understand." 

Best, 

shitandthings