Declining 2016

psm1580b

1 hour ago, jacbarcan said:

Let me know if you guys want me to confirm when one of the "soon"'s is officially declined. 

Hey Jac, do you think you could let it be known when the two UNC officially decline? 

Here's my shameless plea: Is there anyone else (aside from @lisamadura) admitted to Fordham that thinks they will probably turn down the offer? I'm ranked pretty high on the wait list I've been told.

5 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

I'm also interested to know.

Any idea how high up you are? I haven't asked if they've got a ranking, but it seems like they do ('very high' is what I've heard, but I've no idea if that means in the top three, four, five, etc.).

12 minutes ago, Ulixes said:

Any potential Syracuse decliners out there?

I would probably do that if I were to be admitted off the waitlists of other significantly better programs.  I really hope that I can help you, but that totally depends on what other strong applicants would do in the coming days.

34 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

Pretty well ;) I'll definitely be revealing my identity to some of you soon. 

haha, well clearly you're not in *my* program if you're doing so well. we're having the worst year on record ;_; 

glad it's working out for you, though, you deserve it for your all the work you've done for us this year! 

2 minutes ago, philosophe said:

haha, well clearly you're not in *my* program if you're doing so well. we're having the worst year on record ;_; 

glad it's working out for you, though, you deserve it for your all the work you've done for us this year! 

My program seems to be in a similar situation. What a rough year.

20 minutes ago, philosophe said:

My program is probably having the best year on record! Of course, I'm literally the only person applying to PhD programs out of my program this year... but hey! That's a 100% placement record for this year! :lol:

56 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

My program seems to be in a similar situation. What a rough year.

My program had a terrible year last year, but had done very well in years prior to that. This year we seem to be faring a bit better, my own results notwithstanding. 

My program is actually doing rather well relative to the past few years: 

Person A: Admits at Notre Dame, Toronto, Arizona, Rochester, and Syracuse. Waitlists at NYU, Berkeley (very high on the waitlist), and UVA.

Person B: Admits at UC Irvine LPS, Carnegie Mellon, Maryland, and Penn. Waitlists at UVA and Indiana HPS. 

Person C: Admits at Ohio State and Rice. Waitlist at Miami. 

Person D: Admit at Calgary. Waitlist at Syracuse. 

Person E: No news 

Most of us are still waiting for a handful of other schools. I sense that the faculty here are pleased. Feelsgoodman. 

2 hours ago, frege-bombs said:

My program is actually doing rather well relative to the past few years: 

Person A: Admits at Notre Dame, Toronto, Arizona, Rochester, and Syracuse. Waitlists at NYU, Berkeley (very high on the waitlist), and UVA.

Person B: Admits at UC Irvine LPS, Carnegie Mellon, Maryland, and Penn. Waitlists at UVA and Indiana HPS. 

Person C: Admits at Ohio State and Rice. Waitlist at Miami. 

Person D: Admit at Calgary. Waitlist at Syracuse. 

Person E: No news 

Most of us are still waiting for a handful of other schools. I sense that the faculty here are pleased. Feelsgoodman. 

Person B: DECLINE PENN PLEASE

Withdrew my application to Purdue.

Edit: Paul Draper emailed me back and mentioned that the committee had met today. If anyone is waiting on Purdue, sounds like results might be out soon.

Edited by dgswaim

Will anyone be declining a Pittsburgh offer in the near future? I have been waitlisted there, and I am nearly, say, eighty percent decided on another program. However, I would like to delay for a short while longer if that would increase my odds at Pittsburgh.

13 hours ago, Pair'o'docks said:

Will anyone be declining a Pittsburgh offer in the near future? I have been waitlisted there, and I am nearly, say, eighty percent decided on another program. However, I would like to delay for a short while longer if that would increase my odds at Pittsburgh.

Don't know what your AOI is, but a number of people have got admits at LOTS of top places, including Pitt, and they will inevitably have to decline most of their offers, which will open up a lot of slots or other people and bump people into new offers.  So, I'd say your chances are good at least some of them will end up declining Pitt.  I would hang on to your current offer at the other place a while longer if you really still have your heart set on Pitt.  Unless you have some other pressing reason to commit to your other offer.  This process can take a while to sort itself out.  People are probably reluctant to post where they are declining this early in the game right now quite honestly because they are having a hard time deciding and it's a very scary process to let go of a good prospect when you just can't know for sure where is going to turn out to be the best place.  I wouldn't give up hope this early in the game.   I didn't get my best offer till the last week before April 15!