Declining 2016

psm1580b

2 minutes ago, Davidspring said:

There has been no movement on the waitlist at ND, which is very unusual, though I know a few have turned down their offers from ND.  Is anyone else deciding to decline ND?

If you don't feel comfortable answering, I completely understand. But, I'm curious: what are your choices at this point? Do you have an option other than ND, in case that falls through?

1 minute ago, Dialectica said:

If you don't feel comfortable answering, I completely understand. But, I'm curious: what are your choices at this point? Do you have an option other than ND, in case that falls through?

I have two other initial offers, but the decision is very tricky.  If I got an offer from ND, I'd decline my other offers quickly.

3 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Got a, "We're gonna offer you a slot if you're in a position to accept our offer" type email from Fordham yesterday. I don't even want to open that can of worms, so I'm declining it outright. Nothing against Fordham, but it's crunch time and I'm really drained. I just want to devote my time to Trump memes now. Today, declining Stony Brook, even though I loved them. 

I'm wondering, is this sort of offer common as time is running out? I'm holding on to just one of my offers while I am wait listed at two schools, both of which I'd prefer to the school where I have an offer—all other things (i.e. funding) being roughly equal. But all other things (i.e. funding) being equal, I'd prefer one of those schools at which I'm wait listed over the other... but I'm not sure what I'd do if I got this sort of offer from the school I prefer less.

so, all things being roughly equal:

1st choice (waitlisted), 2nd choice (waitlisted), 3rd choice (offer)

What to do if I get a "here is an offer if you're in the position to accept" from 2nd choice before hearing anything from 1st choice? ? Here's to hoping that doesn't happen. 

Though at the end of the day it's important to bear in mind that I'd be glad to go to any of the three places.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousMonad said:

I'm wondering, is this sort of offer common as time is running out? I'm holding on to just one of my offers while I am wait listed at two schools, both of which I'd prefer to the school where I have an offer—all other things (i.e. funding) being roughly equal. But all other things (i.e. funding) being equal, I'd prefer one of those schools at which I'm wait listed over the other... but I'm not sure what I'd do if I got this sort of offer from the school I prefer less.

so, all things being roughly equal:

1st choice (waitlisted), 2nd choice (waitlisted), 3rd choice (offer)

What to do if I get a "here is an offer if you're in the position to accept" from 2nd choice before hearing anything from 1st choice? ? Here's to hoping that doesn't happen. 

Though at the end of the day it's important to bear in mind that I'd be glad to go to any of the three places.

This happened to me... I politely said I was very interested but I'd have to wait until the end of the day on April 15th. I got a real offer (as opposed to the cart before the horse kind) from that school the next day regardless, which I sat on until a different, preferred school came through. The APA rules say that they can't make you respond before then, stand up for yourself! You can't be bullied into accepting an offer earlier in order to make that offer come about. If they want you, they should give you an offer and wait for your response like everyone else. 

14 minutes ago, doxazein918 said:

Declining Cornell and will decline Stanford tomorrow once the system is set up for me.  I cried a little…super hard decision for me.  But I'm excited to be at Columbia!

At the risk that I sound annoying (which I really don't want!!), could you not decline Stanford today if you already know you want to? (Via email, as most of us have been doing.) It is my top choice and I worry they will run out of time :(( Sorry if that sounded badly, I really didn't mean to!:) And congrats on Columbia!!

Edited by AnotherKantFan

Just now, AnotherKantFan said:

At the risk that I sound annoying (sorry I didnt mean to!!), could you not decline Stanford today if you already know you want to? (Via email, as most of us have been doing.) It is my top choice and I worry they will run out of time :(( Sorry if that sounded badly, I really didn't mean to!:)

No, unfortunately…they make you set up an ID system and it takes about 24 hours.  My fault for not setting it up earlier.

Just now, doxazein918 said:

No, unfortunately…they make you set up an ID system and it takes about 24 hours.  My fault for not setting it up earlier.

Ok thanks for claryfing. Thats kind of annoying on their part, esp. in conjunctiom with their visit having been so late :(

Maybe you could still email the DGS informing him unofficially about your decision though.

Edited by AnotherKantFan

2 minutes ago, doxazein918 said:

I assume you can still notify the department's DGA?

I'm down to a good offer at my second choice, and waitlisted at my first choice. I'm starting to have weird rejection dreams about my first choice, and I am mostly in the dark about whether there has been any movement on their WL, or what their current roster of acceptances looks like.

I'm also worried that the clock will run out, and I will have to say "yes" to my second choice, before my first choice knows if it can make an offer or not.

For those of you in similar positions, how are you staying sane?

6 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

I'm down to a good offer at my second choice, and waitlisted at my first choice. I'm starting to have weird rejection dreams about my first choice, and I am mostly in the dark about whether there has been any movement on their WL, or what their current roster of acceptances looks like.

I'm also worried that the clock will run out, and I will have to say "yes" to my second choice, before my first choice knows if it can make an offer or not.

For those of you in similar positions, how are you staying sane?

I'm also waitlisted at my first-choice program.  They told me that the future is still wide open, given that a lot of their initially admitted students haven't submitted their decisions yet.  This is very very unusual, according to the DGS.  Yes, I'm going crazy, but I try to distract my attention by doing some part-time job: I'm now cooking in a kitchen...

Edited by Davidspring

3 hours ago, phiapplicant16 said:

I just declined UCSB, and will likely decline UConn Storrs in a day or so.  AoI: Mind/cogsci.

I'm at Uconn for mind/cogsci, let me know if you have last minute questions before you make the final decision to decline! Congrats on your offers!!