Options if I don't get in?

Hi!

So far I've received only rejections so I'm starting to consider my options if I don't get in? Does anyone know if I can be accepted into a post bacc program if my degree is already in SLP? Also, what are other options to consider? I'm lost :unsure:

I'm sorry to hear about your rejections, don't give up just yet. Everything always works out in the end. But, as far as other options, I know a few people in my undergrad class are doing special education, higher education, social work, and OT instead of the SLP route.

2 hours ago, courtney1 said:

Hi!

So far I've received only rejections so I'm starting to consider my options if I don't get in? Does anyone know if I can be accepted into a post bacc program if my degree is already in SLP? Also, what are other options to consider? I'm lost :unsure:

I don't think it would make sense to do a post-bacc if your degree is in CSD unless you are missing a prerequisite or two that schools are looking for. You may be able to become an SLPA depending on the state you live in. Maybe retake the GRE if your scores aren't the best? I would consider getting yourself involved in some volunteering that can still relate to the field, like literacy tutoring or with a program that serves special populations. 

I agree that doing a post-bacc would not make sense, unless you are missing some classes, I'm not even sure if you'd be allowed to join a post-bacc since your degree is already in that field. The best thing you can do is strenghten your application with higher GRE scores, volunteer expereince, and strong recommendations. Applying to different schools is also a good idea, I have read a lot of people who keep applying to same schools over and over, and I don't know if that's the best idea. 

Have you looked into schools that start in the spring? Right now I am on all waitlists, so I am already thinking of plan B. That is just one of my ideas! If I don't get accepted I also plan on studying for and retaking the GRE, and gaining even more volunteer experience. My resume is pretty strong, and I know I can't change my grades (which are pretty average - (3.6 overall, 3.7 in the major, last 60 3.8). I am also looking into internships with my company as a behavioral therapist and doing more job shadowing!

I am doing the SLP Asst coursework concurrently with my 2nd bachelor's with the idea of working as a SLPA if I don't get accepted to grad school the first time around.

Academic Language Therapy is something that pays decently (the going rate for certified ones in my neck of the woods is $100/hour but of course that includes overhead). That would require completion of a reading intervention training program and most of those are held in the summer. http://imslec.org/directory.asp?action=accredited

I've been rejected from 4 schools so far and waitlisted at one. I know I can retake the GRE but I can't change my GPA and that sucks. I want this so badly which makes the rejections sting that much more :( I'm going to retry in the spring with (hopefully) better GRE scores and a new personal statement.

Edited by slptobe92

If you want to supplement with another class or two, it doesn't hurt to show these programs that your dedicated in bettering yourself.  You could take human anatomy and physiology or something else related like a course on the aging brain or autism.  You don't need to take a postbacc, but you can take classes without being enrolled for the whole program.  My postbacc was online through Alaska, but I supplemented with a few online classes from Montana.

I think it would be more valuable though for you to look for experience.  Try to get more hours in shadowing/observation and see if you can be an SLP assistant (volunteer if needed!).  This was my plan if I had not been accepted.  I think if they see that instead of just sitting around sulking, you went out and found another way to get experience in the field, that will make a big difference in your resume.  Also, definitely revise your essay.  Consider setting up a meeting with someone to ask how you can improve your essay and application for next year.  Some people have said they learned a lot from these conversations.

Also... there are some schools that start in the spring.  Just a thought.

Best of luck next time around!

On 3/15/2016 at 11:19 AM, courtney1 said:

Hi!

I'm sorRy to hear that.  Keep your spirits up though! You still have a shot.  It's okay to start thinking about plan B. Don't worry you are not alone. There are so many 2nd year applicants for SLP grad school, it's insane. I'm in that boat. For the 2nd time around, I called Schoils thar rejected or waitlisted me and asked how I could improve my application. All of them said I need to up my GRE scores.  I took a prep class, used 3 different study materials, graduated with my undergrad with a 3.9 GPA, got a job as an SLP-A and spent a lot of time writing excellent essays. I think my essay really helped me get accepted and get on Waitlists this year.( because my gre scores didn't improve much). In my essay, I focused on my strengths, my commitment to the field, and why my scores were not a reflection of me as a student.

Look up Utah State University Online for undergrad courses. They are cheap,  online,  self-paced and professors are great.  

On March 15, 2016 at 11:19 AM, courtney1 said:

Hi!

Hi! Sorry to hear your circumstances! I was rejected my first time around, and it stung badly. 

When I didn't get in, I got a job at a special education preschool and worked with them for about two years. I recently switched gears and am working with kiddos that are a little more behavioral in an emergency foster care/trauma unit at a children's home. Meanwhile, I am completing the post-bacc certificate through UVM to retake my speech classes and come out with a certification as an SLP-A. My undergrad GPA was disgraceful, so I'm taking these classes in hopes of showing that, academically, I'm capable of so much more, and personally, I have drive, determination, and want nothing more then to be an SLP! 

That being said, I have not tried applying to graduate programs since, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track. Best of luck to you!! 

On 3/15/2016 at 9:19 AM, courtney1 said:

Hi!

Why would you consider doing a post-bacc program if your degree is already in SLP? 

I think everyone else´s advice about getting great experiences is really useful. 

Also, you should be very strategic about your application process. I obviously don´t know in your case, but in general I think people just pick a couple schools and apply to them. I think you should carefully evaluate your application with a harsh/critical eye to see what your strengths and weaknesses are. Then be sure to look closely/honestly at the programs you´re applying to and seeing if you´re truly a good fit. 

Idk If I´m anymore qualified than anyone else, but I´d be happy to help you look at your essays (as a place to start). 

Edited by mcamp
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/15/2016 at 10:19 AM, courtney1 said:

Hi!

If you don't get in this year, I think you should apply to Radford next year. Your stats seem to line up well with them. You should also consider schools who look more at full package and not just GPA and GRE. I think that  includes Grand Valley State, Northern Arizona University (Part-time summers only program for SLP-A), Loyola University...there are definitely more...

Hint: Ask schools how many applications they received the last admission cycle...you'd be surprise how many more applicants they get in just a year's time...even if their GRE and GPA averages from two cycles ago match yours....call and ask....I was able to eliminate JMU and La Salle by asking this question because they get over 500 applicants!!

ETSU and Marshall are two schools that have almost had double the applicants they had last year....and more applicants means stronger applicants and tougher decisions for admissions committee...so these ones youll have to ask what their average GPA and GRE SCORES were from Fall 2016 cycle, because they are definitely not near the low 2015 averages that are posted on their website.

Your GRE scores are good and adding maybe a few classes to bump your overall GPA and CSD one would do you well.

Accepted: Radford, Northern Arizona University (Summers-Only)

Rejected: West Virginia University, Marshall University, ETSU, University of Akron

Waitlist: University of Akron (1st round only) , Loyola, Towson

Have not heard from: University of Delaware, IUP, California University of PA, West Carolina U, Western Kentucky (part-time online)

STATS: CSD G.P.A 3.91, GRE 147, 145, 3.5, SLP-A in schools for one year, 2nd year applicant

On 3/16/2016 at 9:02 PM, slptobe92 said:

I've been rejected from 4 schools so far and waitlisted at one. I know I can retake the GRE but I can't change my GPA and that sucks. I want this so badly which makes the rejections sting that much more :( I'm going to retry in the spring with (hopefully) better GRE scores and a new personal statement.

You could retake some courses so that your course work in SLP classes goes up. 

On 3/29/2016 at 9:40 PM, clmogel said:

If you don't get in this year, I think you should apply to Radford next year. Your stats seem to line up well with them. You should also consider schools who look more at full package and not just GPA and GRE. I think that  includes Grand Valley State, Northern Arizona University (Part-time summers only program for SLP-A), Loyola University...there are definitely more...

Hint: Ask schools how many applications they received the last admission cycle...you'd be surprise how many more applicants they get in just a year's time...even if their GRE and GPA averages from two cycles ago match yours....call and ask....I was able to eliminate JMU and La Salle by asking this question because they get over 500 applicants!!

ETSU and Marshall are two schools that have almost had double the applicants they had last year....and more applicants means stronger applicants and tougher decisions for admissions committee...so these ones youll have to ask what their average GPA and GRE SCORES were from Fall 2016 cycle, because they are definitely not near the low 2015 averages that are posted on their website.

Your GRE scores are good and adding maybe a few classes to bump your overall GPA and CSD one would do you well.

Accepted: Radford, Northern Arizona University (Summers-Only)

Rejected: West Virginia University, Marshall University, ETSU, University of Akron

Waitlist: University of Akron (1st round only) , Loyola, Towson

Have not heard from: University of Delaware, Indiana University of PA, California University of PA, West Carolina U, Western Kentucky (part-time online)

STATS: CSD G.P.A 3.91, GRE 147, 145, 3.5, SLP-A in schools for one year, 2nd year applicant

Have you decided if you'll choose Radford or NAU??

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:41 PM, NCNativeSLPA said:

Have you decided if you'll choose Radford or NAU??

Yes, I actually decided on WKU because of cost! I declined Radford and NAU last week

On March 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM, courtney1 said:

My overall GPA is currently a 3.2 that is why I was considering a post bacc program, so even with that GPA you wouldn't recommend one?

Are you wanting to REtake coursework you didn't perform well in the first time around? Someone should correct me if I misunderstood this, but doesn't CSDCAS overlook repeated  courses in it's GPA calculation? If you aren't trying to do replacents, I agree with others. Only take any classes that are missing prereqs for you (if there are any).

I continue to see posts suggesting GVSU as "less competitive", but I'm not sure if should still be considered as such, as they received nearly double the applicants as some of the other programs in the state of Michigan. 

And to add to this thread, I believe work experience related to the field is the most beneficial in the application process. 

This may be a dumb question but what jobs can you get at a hospital/school/rehab center without a masters degree?? I feel like I need to consider other options but other than substitute teach I just have no idea what I would do. 

9 minutes ago, Dreamtobeslp said:

This may be a dumb question but what jobs can you get at a hospital/school/rehab center without a masters degree?? I feel like I need to consider other options but other than substitute teach I just have no idea what I would do. 

I've seen jobs at a local hospital for a rehab assistant, which is basically assisting PT's, OT's, and SLP's in the inpatient rehab facility. Check out your local hospital job postings and I'm sure you'll find something!

1 hour ago, slptobe92 said:

I've seen jobs at a local hospital for a rehab assistant, which is basically assisting PT's, OT's, and SLP's in the inpatient rehab facility. Check out your local hospital job postings and I'm sure you'll find something!

Thanks so much! I was just overwhelmed with what to do. You've really helped me focus and calm down. 

2 hours ago, slptobe92 said:

Check your state licensing requirements because you may need to complete a formal SLPA, OTA, or PTA program in order to work as one.

2 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Check your state licensing requirements because you may need to complete a formal SLPA, OTA, or PTA program in order to work as one.

This job was different, it was assisting all of the therapists but also the PTA's, OTA's, and SLPA's so it was like assisting the assistants haha