Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

32 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Thank you all so so much for your responses! I certainly elaborated on 2 specific shadowing experiences, however I think it was to "Dry" if that makes any sense, like it wasn't so exciting. I will certainly be making another edit on this statement before submitting my last application. I think I will add as well how I am a first generation college graduate and how I took a year off in order to gain experience in knowing how competitive the field is and most importantly to save 2 years worth of rent and bills so that I do not have to live off of loans. Saving money was important to me and not getting in any extra debt, as I grew up with not much money and at my families lowest point I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment with my mom and 2 sisters. I think my hardships has certainly motivated me to succeed and this is something I should talk about in my statement. I also debating discussing a program called" AVID". I was the first every south jersey class to be in AVID (we were a trial). It was a class meant for student not working to their abilities who needed extra guidance and tools, yet had potential to be successful students. I not only stuck with the program (it started when I was in 7th grade) but I also became the student representative of the program and had to deliver a number of speeches to the board of education on why they should continue to fund this program. Despite me being young when this all began, this program truly impacted how I am as a student and a person today. It gave me motivation and self confidence to be successful. On top of that I have so much pride in this program that I am working with a pediatric nurse practitioner to start a similar program for children in our area. I believe these are all things I should discuss that may make me stand out in my personal statement, rather than just "i love genetic counseling, and I no it from shadowing" hhaah. I think I need to discuss who I am and how I became so motivated and hard working and than lead into how my experiences verified my belief that this is the correct field for me. I just was hesistant to discuss the AVID program as it began in 7th grade...

I'm somewhat familiar with AVID. It impacted your education and your experiences, and you were a strong advocate for the program! I'd definitely make sure it's in there. Show who you are and why you're that person. You'll do great!

6 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I'm somewhat familiar with AVID. It impacted your education and your experiences, and you were a strong advocate for the program! I'd definitely make sure it's in there. Show who you are and why you're that person. You'll do great!

Thank you! I'm a little bummed that all of my applications are submitted except 1 with the old personal statement. So fingers crossed that this new one will land me an interview!

I have been lurking, mostly on the results forum but decided to join.  I applied to Cincinnati, and only Cincinnati as I am geographically limited. I have not heard from them yet and expect to the first or second week of Feb per past year results and what they indicated at open house/events.  I saw 2 people were emailed January 18 and it was surprising and nerve-wracking as I wondered why they contacted people so early and I haven't heard anything.  I keep telling myself at least I haven't been rejected to just be patient! I've been wanting to apply to this program for years but have a family and the timing is (finally!) right.  I really hope I get in this year, but if I do not I will get feedback and reapply next year.

I saw a few pages back about acceptance/denials.  I wanted to let you know how the process works.  Typically ALL GC schools nationwide let applicants know the same day if they make it or are waitlisted. This year it is April 24.  You have 3 days to accept/reject.  If you are waitlisted you can request your number on the list.  The reason it is done this way is to limit people accepting and then rejecting to go to different schools!  My advice would be if you get an offer but it isn't your top school give it the 3 days and wait to hear from your top school.  Some people get accepted to multiple schools and pick their top- once they reject the others, those schools move down the waitlist.  I hope this helps.  I would think it would not look good to accept and then go back and change your mind-you might burn a bridge.  This is the reason everyone is notified at the same time and has 3 days to decide.

Hi guys I posted a little bit ago (prematurely freaked out about not hearing about an interview) but figured I'd introduce myself! I'm really happy to have found a little online community to talk about the application process. I graduated 4 years ago from undergrad (3.6 GPA) and have my MPH (3.8ish). I work in community based research as a program manager. While I have a lot of research experience within healthcare, I'm nervous that none of that is in genetics. I'm really interested in grief work so for advocacy experience I volunteer as a group facilitator in a support group for kids that are grieving. I've been doing it for 2 years and It's super rewarding. I'm relatively new to the profession so I took the online "Genetic Counseling Career" course through the University of South Carolina...I would definitely recommend it! It was really interesting and very helpful. I applied to Brandeis (interview 3/17), VCU (interview 3/3), Maryland, Johns Hopkins, and Wisconsin. This whole process is pretty crazy and all the student bios are so stellar, so I'm definitely a little intimidated. I've only been able to shadow a couple of times so hoping that doesn't hurt me too much. Wishing good luck to everyone! 

Edited by JennyVt

13 hours ago, JennyVt said:

Hi guys I posted a little bit ago (prematurely freaked out about not hearing about an interview) but figured I'd introduce myself! I'm really happy to have found a little online community to talk about the application process. I graduated 4 years ago from undergrad (3.6 GPA) and have my MPH (3.8ish). I work in community based research as a program manager. While I have a lot of research experience within healthcare, I'm nervous that none of that is in genetics. I'm really interested in grief work so for advocacy experience I volunteer as a group facilitator in a support group for kids that are grieving. I've been doing it for 2 years and It's super rewarding. I'm relatively new to the profession so I took the online "Genetic Counseling Career" course through the University of South Carolina...I would definitely recommend it! It was really interesting and very helpful. I applied to Brandeis (interview 3/17), VCU (interview 3/3), Maryland, Johns Hopkins, and Wisconsin. This whole process is pretty crazy and all the student bios are so stellar, so I'm definitely a little intimidated. I've only been able to shadow a couple of times so hoping that doesn't hurt me too much. Wishing good luck to everyone! 

Jenny, I also took the USC online class and found it incredibly helpful and interesting! I felt like it gave a good 'range' of topics that I might not otherwise have bumped into or been exposed to at this point.  The support work that you do with grieving children sounds incredibly difficult and important - kudos for taking the time to help support others make sense of a difficult time. 

I keep checking this board and my email out of nervousness! I also need to download a new book for my kindle. Anyone reading anything good at the moment or have any recommendations? Bonus points if it is somewhat GC-related! I typically prefer non-fiction, but am open to anything. 

16 minutes ago, Darwin said:

Jenny, I also took the USC online class and found it incredibly helpful and interesting! I felt like it gave a good 'range' of topics that I might not otherwise have bumped into or been exposed to at this point.  The support work that you do with grieving children sounds incredibly difficult and important - kudos for taking the time to help support others make sense of a difficult time. 

I keep checking this board and my email out of nervousness! I also need to download a new book for my kindle. Anyone reading anything good at the moment or have any recommendations? Bonus points if it is somewhat GC-related! I typically prefer non-fiction, but am open to anything. 

Well I am more of a fiction reader so my recent reads have included:

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult - not GC related, but is centered around major ethical issues and healthcare related.

Most Wanted by Lisa Scottoline. A little GC related and they do meet with a genetic counselor but the author refers to it as "genetics counseling/counselor".

Otherwise this post on Reddit has some suggestions: https://www.reddit.com/r/ClinicalGenetics/comments/4msvyp/book_recommendations_for_an_aspiring_gc/

1 hour ago, plunker said:

Does anyone who attended the Utah Career Camp this year still have their slides? I remember getting them, but can't find them anywhere in my email!

I'll look when I'm back at my computer!

14 minutes ago, SJMcGC said:

Well I am more of a fiction reader so my recent reads have included:

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult - not GC related, but is centered around major ethical issues and healthcare related.

Most Wanted by Lisa Scottoline. A little GC related and they do meet with a genetic counselor but the author refers to it as "genetics counseling/counselor".

Otherwise this post on Reddit has some suggestions: https://www.reddit.com/r/ClinicalGenetics/comments/4msvyp/book_recommendations_for_an_aspiring_gc/

Thanks for sharing this link! A lot to explore here. =)

I also love Jodi Picoult - Handle with Care and Nineteen Minutes were my favorites. I have not read the newer one that you mentioned, will probably download that today! TY for the tip :)

On 1/27/2017 at 8:18 PM, GCFaith92 said:

I applied to Rutgers and USF! SOPHAS was the death of me! I still didn't get confirmation from the school despite me having everything in. It was so expensive too!!! I'm just hoping I get an interview somewhere, even if I don't get in this year, an interview will give me good practice and some confidence. I no they give feedback if you get rejected so that's always nice. I am nervous my GRE scores will keep me out of every program this year despite my experience and GPA but time will tell!! Best of luck with SOPHAS, I submitted my transcripts on the 4th and it was just received on the 25th. They said from the day they receive the transcript, they have 12 business days to process it :-( hence why it took them so long.

So have you heard anything back from SOPHAS yet about your transcripts? My evaluation was FINALLY received and processed yesterday! But my transcripts from my two undergrad universities STILL say verifying - I submitted on the 26th and my application was marked complete on the 27th, but apparently it takes 2-4 weeks from the date you submit to actually verify! So I'm kind of freaking out that they won't review my application. She said it needs to be cleared by SOPHAS before they can even review it. Ahhhhhhh!

Hi!  New to this thread but have been lurking.

I'm a new applicant this year.  English and Pre Health major, 3.5 GPA, decent GRE scores (160/162/5).  I've shadowed at a couple local GC clinics and volunteered in a family practice medicine clinic for a year, also have done extensive work with homeless women and am on a crisis hotline.

I am a crazy person and applied to 15 schools.  (IUPUI, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan, Stanford, Mt Sinai, Sarah Lawrence, Rutgers, Indiana State, Virginia Commonwealth, Brandeis, Ohio State, Maryland, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota).

So far I have 4 interviews: Brandeis, VCU, Indiana State, and Michigan.  Waiting patiently for everything else!!

Edited by Gorays39

1 hour ago, Darwin said:

Hey all, another former lurker here. I couldn't not jump in to respond this though. I just finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and it was awesome AND very relevant to genetic counseling. Especially the ways family dynamics and culture/myths can impact the perception of a diagnosis/condition. This family definitely could have used a GC. The SLC GC program used to have a book/film list on their website, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Bummer.

3 hours ago, Darwin said:

I also took the USC class and during the class I read the book Give Me One Wish by Jacquie Gordon.  It was a nonfiction book about the life of a girl with cystic fibrosis, and I thought it was really great.  You should check it out!

I was so certain I'd get an email from at least one program today and nada ? Congrats to everyone who has though!!

It's weird that it seems like east coast/Midwest schools send out their invites before most of the west coast schools. I wonder if there's a reason for that ?

16 minutes ago, .Aku. said:

Me too! :D

Congrats!!!

9 minutes ago, alalav said:

Do schools usually send out interview invites before rejections? 

I think so... probably to make sure they fill all of the interview slots first.

15 minutes ago, alalav said:

Do schools usually send out interview invites before rejections? 

It seems like it based on the data from last cycle, and i think that Emory sent out its invites in early January and just now sent out rejections on the 31st.

I'm about to get in the car and drive home from Atlanta now.

Anyone interviewing at Emory: Everyone was so nice and the interview was very low stress and conversational. Don't sweat it! 

1 hour ago, slaybackc said:

I was so certain I'd get an email from at least one program today and nada ? Congrats to everyone who has though!!

It's weird that it seems like east coast/Midwest schools send out their invites before most of the west coast schools. I wonder if there's a reason for that ?

I'm feeling the same way! I just keep checking...