Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

3 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

That is a little different. When did they give you, if you don't mind my asking? End of this month? Or March? I just got back to my computer and it looks like you are #2 to get the call today. So they must be making them today. 

I wish I had your problem of applying to too many! 

April 7th.  It was a really short phone call.  They were like we'd like to invite you for an interview how does April 7th sound.  I just agreed because I figure that's enough time for me to try to make it work.

I applied to so many because last year I applied to 7 and only got 1 interview.  I didn't want to be in the same predicament again and have to go through this process for a third year in a row.  I did some things to improve my resume and dramatically improved my personal statement.  I guess it worked, but I had no way of knowing that before applying to schools. Probably cost myself $1000 more than I had to.  I have four different transcripts, so that made things pretty pricey.  

3 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I just left costco. Nada. 

Congrats! I met someone at my Emory interview that had already interviewed at OSU in January- they must do several waves, which could explain their particularity about scheduling.

Were they part of this forum? Or an additional person who got interviewed? I know they send in waves, and timeline wise this seems like it would be around the final wave. 

5 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

April 7th.  It was a really short phone call.  They were like we'd like to invite you for an interview how does April 7th sound.  I just agreed because I figure that's enough time for me to try to make it work.

I mean, if you don't want it...I'll take it :-P but congrats! Interviews are exciting!

6 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Congrats! I met someone at my Emory interview that had already interviewed at OSU in January- they must do several waves, which could explain their particularity about scheduling.

Thank you!  That would make sense about them doing it in waves.  With my 2.87 overall GPA, I think schools are a little apprehensive to interview me, so it makes sense that I would be one of the later people to get invited.  

22 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Were they part of this forum? Or an additional person who got interviewed? I know they send in waves, and timeline wise this seems like it would be around the final wave. 

No, I don't think she is on this forum. She was one of the other candidates who interviewed with me the day I interviewed at Emory. I asked if it was everyone's first GC programs interview, and she said that she had interviewed at OSU already. 

8 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

No, I don't think she is on this forum. She was one of the other candidates who interviewed with me the day I interviewed at Emory. I asked if it was everyone's first GC programs interview, and she said that she had interviewed at OSU already. 

That's soo early! I told my mentor that you had interview yesterday when I saw her and she was floored!

I still haven't heard from any program and I'm super bummed :(

35 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I still haven't heard from any program and I'm super bummed :(

Same, though Ohio State let me know my prof STILL hadn't submitted a rec 10 days ago... after he told me he submitted it twice. :( I'm trying to coordinate with him from two states away and they said they'd email him directly but the website says it's still not in... I'm freaking out! 

9 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Same, though Ohio State let me know my prof STILL hadn't submitted a rec 10 days ago... after he told me he submitted it twice. :( I'm trying to coordinate with him from two states away and they said they'd email him directly but the website says it's still not in... I'm freaking out! 

One of my recommendation letter writers couldn't figure out how to submit the letter to UCI.  I contacted the program and they allowed her to just email them the letter instead of using the online submission website.  Maybe since there's so much confusion OSU would let you just have your professor email the letter?

I just called Cincinnati. She told me all the letters for interviews have gone out. But rejection letters won't be sent for a couple weeks. So everyone else waiting, bad news: Your interview is not coming. She looked me up in the spreadsheet and i've been rejected. That one stings. That's the one i wanted. 

Does anyone know if Sarah Lawrence is still sending out interview requests? I haven't heard anything back from them at all. I didn't realize that our financial aid info needed to be in there as well so I just input that info, but I'm not sure if they were reviewing applications without the financial info or not...

4 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I just called Cincinnati. She told me all the letters for interviews have gone out. But rejection letters won't be sent for a couple weeks. So everyone else waiting, bad news: Your interview is not coming. She looked me up in the spreadsheet and i've been rejected. That one stings. That's the one i wanted. 

Ugh major bummer - feeling the sting as well. I had a really good feeling about their program and was excited for it as well. Oh well - hopefully we each have something else work out!! Chin up, head high and ace the interviews we do have :)

23 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

I have a couple of schools where the website shows a letter missing, but I contacted them directly and they confirmed the letters were in. I would say check with the school and see if he can email it directly to someone at the program.

2 minutes ago, csm said:

Wait, I'm confused. So schools send out emails, letters, and/or call? I wish they would all just email... 

The results page shows people in the past also getting news through the schools' websites. Just one more place to check constantly.

For people who have heard from Pittsburgh, did you apply for the dual masters?

24 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

One of my recommendation letter writers couldn't figure out how to submit the letter to UCI.  I contacted the program and they allowed her to just email them the letter instead of using the online submission website.  Maybe since there's so much confusion OSU would let you just have your professor email the letter?

Yeah, that's what they were supposed to do when they contacted me. I just emailed again to ask if he can initiate the email, since I don't know if he's not receiving them or what. We'll see.

24 minutes ago, csm said:

Wait, I'm confused. So schools send out emails, letters, and/or call? I wish they would all just email... 

Yeah some programs call. I've been answering all strange numbers that have called me lately. But it's just telemarkers or Cox trying to get me to spend more money on my internet service.. So annoying :rolleyes:

Edited by AspiringGC

31 minutes ago, csm said:

Most schools email, but there are a few that send out phone calls or letters.  I wish they just emailed too.  I appreciate the time they put into making phone calls, but it made me feel like I was put on the spot.  Having things in emails gives me time to check my calendar and think about how I want to respond. 

28 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

The results page shows people in the past also getting news through the schools' websites. Just one more place to check constantly.

Wait, I'm confused--like it's been posted in people's student portals? or on the program's website itself?

I had a question if anyone has any advice. I just received an email from Indiana State ( who originally rejected me ) offering spots in 2 alternative programs (one is a masters program the other a certificate) that have the same related courses as to genetic counseling that they said could be beneficial and help next time I apply. I was wondering if anyone else received something like this or if it is just a ploy to get more money?

43 minutes ago, JN212 said:

I had a question if anyone has any advice. I just received an email from Indiana State ( who originally rejected me ) offering spots in 2 alternative programs (one is a masters program the other a certificate) that have the same related courses as to genetic counseling that they said could be beneficial and help next time I apply. I was wondering if anyone else received something like this or if it is just a ploy to get more money?

I may just be bitter at this point in the day, but I feel like that's a money ploy. Turn the tables and ask if any of the courses transfer to the program. That's the only way I would do it.