History 2010

Sparky

Did anyone who was accepted to Wisconsin get an email from their POC saying that they will offer a travel reimbursement for the prospective students weekend? I'm wondering if this might mean funding is on the way? Thanks

I did not receive any such email. That certainly sounds promising from a funding perspective.

Did anyone who was accepted to Wisconsin get an email from their POC saying that they will offer a travel reimbursement for the prospective students weekend? I'm wondering if this might mean funding is on the way? Thanks

It hasnt come up in anything Ive said with my POC. As far as I know, reimbursement is only possible if you get a multiyear fellowship. Are you planning on going?

Nope - my advisor from Wisconsin just emailed me a very nice, lengthy email letting me know some more about the whole funding situation (they don't offer many multi-year fellowships) and asked if I was planning on coming to the recruitment weekend - nothing about reimbursement.

I'm thinking that another possibility is that it is coming from the area studies center i'd be affiliated with. Do you think it would be too forward to ask if there is a connection between the reimbursement and funding since it was not mentioned in the email?

I'm thinking that another possibility is that it is coming from the area studies center i'd be affiliated with. Do you think it would be too forward to ask if there is a connection between the reimbursement and funding since it was not mentioned in the email?

It might have to do with some sort of FLAS fellowship, I know I don't qualify for one, so maybe that why the other admittees here or myself didn't hear anything, but it would make sense. Are you doing something exciting with some difficult language (if I'm not asking you to tip your hat too much)?

I received an e-mail from my potential adviser at Wisconsin with no mention of funding whatsoever. I am trying to set up a telephone call with her in order to (hopefully) get better information about the funding situation.

I"ll out myself a but here... I have strong connections with people at Michigan. So I got some info ftom a friend whose an administrative asst and she talked with History. She said that Europe people will meet very soon. US history people have yet to meet and will meet in about two weeks to make decisions. My friend said this while rolling her eyes that the dept is one of the slowest ones at UM because they really do read each and every one of the application (close to 400). So Michigan people can rest easy knowing that nothing is going to happen for the next week.

As for Princeton. I assume email as my classmate is currently in the Middle East for a year.

Thanks for that; really nice of you to share...

Any word from your friend about when UM's Otherists met/will meet?

I"ll out myself a but here... I have strong connections with people at Michigan. So I got some info ftom a friend whose an administrative asst and she talked with History. She said that Europe people will meet very soon. US history people have yet to meet and will meet in about two weeks to make decisions. My friend said this while rolling her eyes that the dept is one of the slowest ones at UM because they really do read each and every one of the application (close to 400). So Michigan people can rest easy knowing that nothing is going to happen for the next week.

As for Princeton. I assume email as my classmate is currently in the Middle East for a year.

Thanks for that; really nice of you to share...

Any word from your friend about when UM's Otherists met/will meet?

Nope. Her department routinely gets affiliated students in US and European history.

Not to stress anyone out, but my boyfriend was the OSU admit from a few days ago. As of today his online status shows he is accepted (it even has an accept/decline button). So basically any university fellowship nominees should hear soon.

Good luck to all of you (but I am extremely happy cos now we have a chance to go to the same school! :D )

Edited by ScreamingHairyArmadillo

Not to stress anyone out, but my boyfriend was the OSU admit from a few days ago. As of today his online status shows he is accepted (it even has an accept/decline button). So basically any university fellowship nominees should hear soon.

Good luck to all of you (but I am extremely happy cos now we have a chance to go to the same school! :D )

Was he offered a fellowship? The main committee meeting has not met yet.

No money, no honey at Berkeley. 400 applicants, not one of the chosen ones. In other news, Chicago just sent me an email notifying me that they've forwarded my app to the admissions committee in the History dept. and that I should hear something by March 12. Anyone else receive that email? It seems like a standard one where they just give a heads-up on what they're doing and nothing more.

I also just got the Chicago email. Seems pretty standard for all applicants. Still waiting on Berkeley, though. Were you notified by the department?

It does seem that way. And yes, the department sent the standard reject letter. The only comfort is that they had the pdf catalogued by my name, much like they had all the applicants do for every document submitted, which quite frankly was a pain in the ass. Good luck! Hope your news is better than mine.

I also just received the Chicago email and logged on here to see if everyone else had too. Looks like I'm not special, damnit!

Anyways, that was nice of them to let us know exactly what's going on and what we should expect come March. Looking forward to an MAPSS admit!

Well, the way I figure it, at least it softens the blow to see "accepted" and "rejected" together at once from Chicago; even if it is the notorious master's program, at least you got into Chicago, right? ;)

I don't understand why I got a negative mark thing about that comment. Always the most random comments people don't like! And frankly, yes, the MAPSS does count as a Chicago admit. No one who doesn't study in the social sciences will know about its less impressive reputation, so therefore if they do accept me (God willing), I can run around claiming to have received a very prestigious acceptance. Frankly, I don't care about the whole "cash cow" stigma (aside from the expense it necessitates), I would just LOVE to move to Chicago.