History 2010

Sparky

For everyone who was turned down by Yale (I wasn't one of them, since I didn't apply), the following link should make you feel better: Yale video

Any college that completely lacking in self-awareness doesn't deserve you :-)

Yeah, I might have done terrible things if I had to attend the Graduate School of Glee.

I must say, while I agree with the substance of what you say, I don't like your attitude. Maybe because you're "already attending" you feel that you have wisdom to impart, but I believe that we are all aware of how competitive the academic world is. The constant refrain of dubious statistics warning us all of our impending failure is not really constructive, and it's not original either. That said, I think most of us realize that we are not guaranteed any kind of success. It's difficult enough to put yourself out there, put your best foot forward etc. without having to contend with the condescension of others.

funny, that. because my tone was in direct response to the derisive, insulting, short-sighted, arrogant, condescending attitudes a good number of the posters in this thread have had regarding the presumed defects of anyone that gets a rejection letter. so i am glad to hear that my attitude offended you, because it was intended to. i was really, genuinely offended, and while my response comes a few pages/days late, i stand by it.

it was also meant to be comical and take the edge off for people. as in, "don't sweat it, we all have plenty of opportunity to fail." i suppose i need to litter my posts with emoticons for that to come across in text.

My money is on Cornell and Harvard.

Just curious, is that a guess/hunch, or based on something you heard? Looking at last year's results it appears that Cornell won't get going until the 19th.

Just curious, is that a guess/hunch, or based on something you heard? Looking at last year's results it appears that Cornell won't get going until the 19th.

Actually, my friend was notified by Cornell 13 Feb last year. I just wasn't in a position to add that result on my friend's behalf.

Thank the man up there for the blissfully psychotic innocence of Ween and Butthole Surfers, who have helped during these anxious times. Nothing quite like getting lost for a moment. Everyone should find something of the sort.

funny, that. because my tone was in direct response to the derisive, insulting, short-sighted, arrogant, condescending attitudes a good number of the posters in this thread have had regarding the presumed defects of anyone that gets a rejection letter. so i am glad to hear that my attitude offended you, because it was intended to. i was really, genuinely offended, and while my response comes a few pages/days late, i stand by it.

it was also meant to be comical and take the edge off for people. as in, "don't sweat it, we all have plenty of opportunity to fail." i suppose i need to litter my posts with emoticons for that to come across in text.

Oh I understand that! I was in an irritable mood, for my part. You're right to suggest that we shouldn't be so intense, and that we shouldn't beat ourselves up if we're rejected.

Edited by dflanagan