History 2010

Sparky

Evidently UMich is having final deliberations on the 23rd and will be calling people that day or the next.

Thanks for that information, that actually makes me feel alot better as I've been fairly nervous about Michigan. I knew that they were about a week away and its nice to be able to place a potential date.

Rumor is that several big Midwest schools will make decisions next week...we've waited this long. How hard are another 6-8 days of no sleep?

It's things like this that make me glad that I'm not currently a student. I recommend delving into something that totally shuts out external stimuli/worry. Take Civilization 4 and some bourbon for instance.

It's things like this that make me glad that I'm not currently a student. I recommend delving into something that totally shuts out external stimuli/worry. Take Civilization 4 and some bourbon for instance.

I have found solace in scotch, Spanish wine, and episodes of Magnum PI on Hulu...

Holy smokes. Who's that lucky UToronto admit? A potentially whopping 35,000 CAD if accepted for fellowship seems to be a hands-down-must-go offer.

(Not that I applied there but just seemed like a fortune :))

Holy smokes. Who's that lucky UToronto admit? A potentially whopping 35,000 CAD if accepted for fellowship seems to be a hands-down-must-go offer.

(Not that I applied there but just seemed like a fortune :))

I was the admit. Think the 35,000 CAD doesn't cover tuition, though. I just woke up and was kinda groggy - should like read between the lines before posting such stuff. Tsk tsk me.

I was the admit. Think the 35,000 CAD doesn't cover tuition, though. I just woke up and was kinda groggy - should like read between the lines before posting such stuff. Tsk tsk me.

Toronto's a great place though! I grew up there (and my mother teaches there) - it's just beautiful!!

canadian tuition is cheap, even for international students. i can't imagine your yearly tuition being much over $15,000, leaving you with $20,000 for living expenses, which is the size of most stipends/fellowships that schools offer. if the tuition's less than $15K, you're sitting pretty. congratulations.

canadian tuition is cheap, even for international students. i can't imagine your yearly tuition being much over $15,000, leaving you with $20,000 for living expenses, which is the size of most stipends/fellowships that schools offer. if the tuition's less than $15K, you're sitting pretty. congratulations.

Thanks! Good to know!

I'm a PhD student at U of T (did my masters at History, moved to another department for my PhD but my supervisor is cross appointed and I have taken several history grad courses). As far as I know, SSHRC CGS is 35k, not the usual funding package, which after tuition you're left with about 15K (not that easy to live off in this city). SSHRC CGS is only available to Canadian residents and citizens though.

Anyway, the history department is quite large - in both the number of students and faculty - but like everywhere else, they are suffering from the economic downturn. Whereas in previous years they were able to offer addmission (all fully funded) to 20 students or even more at times - this year the number has dropped considerably to about 10-11. So congrats to the U of T admit. You made it despite the cut!

Anyone know what Northwestern's status is? They seem to be letting some know and not others...

I found out via the online application about a week ago. I've since received an official acceptance package in the mail, email and snail mail letters on the funding package and info about the admitted students gathering March 8-9, and a call from my potential advisor last night. I'm in Medieval European. The email was addressed to 26 other admitted students, for what that's worth. If you haven't even had a decision link show up on your application yet, I would definitely contact the department.

This week has been so excruciatingly quiet! I guess that means next week will be a barrage of results.

What do you think, is it safe to assume that if you didn't get an acceptance from Chicago or Harvard yet then you can just look forward to the rejection letter in the mail sometime in March?

I'm a PhD student at U of T (did my masters at History, moved to another department for my PhD but my supervisor is cross appointed and I have taken several history grad courses). As far as I know, SSHRC CGS is 35k, not the usual funding package, which after tuition you're left with about 15K (not that easy to live off in this city). SSHRC CGS is only available to Canadian residents and citizens though.

Anyway, the history department is quite large - in both the number of students and faculty - but like everywhere else, they are suffering from the economic downturn. Whereas in previous years they were able to offer addmission (all fully funded) to 20 students or even more at times - this year the number has dropped considerably to about 10-11. So congrats to the U of T admit. You made it despite the cut!

Thanks for the post!

A question - How do students survive on a 15k stipend then?

What do you think, is it safe to assume that if you didn't get an acceptance from Chicago or Harvard yet then you can just look forward to the rejection letter in the mail sometime in March?

I assume that my rejection letter from Harvard is already in the mail, and making its way across the Pacific Ocean to me - a second time round.

Anyone heard anything from Temple or Cornell or Hawaii?

Edited by seahistory

I assume that my rejection letter from Harvard is already in the mail, and making its way across the Pacific Ocean to me - a second time round.

Anyone heard anything from Temple or Cornell or Hawaii?

I haven't heard anything from Temple or Cornell. My online application at GWU says that I am "under review" or something to that extent.

Edited by Mercer

I haven't heard anything from Temple or Cornell. My online application at GWU says that I am "under review" or something to that extent.

Are your transcripts listed as missing on the apply yourself site for Temple? I just noticed it not too long ago, but am pretty sure that my transcripts arrived in Temple's Department of History, though.

Thanks for the post!

A question - How do students survive on a 15k stipend then?

Living with a million roomates, eating those gross noodles (a buck at the dollar store), taking a loan, getting a part time job, applying to every single award possible.

It's a tough life. I have to think a thousand times before I actually purchase an item of luxary or go out to a fancy place, and on top of everything, I buy tons of books every month, which doesn't help. But I have survived thus far, and so can you. If you have a partner, consider the family residence - it has a shady reputation, but dirt cheap. Or perhaps find a few roomates and get a place together, or maybe a basement apartment somewhere in the Annex. Go to as many talks / receptions as possible - free food. :) many get a part time job at the library or the nearest café. Just tighten the belt and you'll be fine. Toronto isn't cheap, but I bet it isn't as expensive to live as NYC or Boston.

Also - the department often has funding for research travel, conferences and for learning a language that isn't taught here, and there are also awards for international students.