@GreenEyedTrombonist that's true, I think there are any number of fields that I can pursue my research interests - sociology, literature, anthropology....  But after doing my MA in English and trying to research identity construction there, I just found the subtle differences in approach a bit stifling to be honest. I like how interdisciplinary Communication is. I feel like it will be a bit more flexible. Either way, awesome Buffy paper, here we come!!

Yeah, I love anthropology @DBear but unfortunately not many anthropologists are looking at social media/online communities/etc. There are some notable exceptions, but overall its just too new a field to give me many options in terms of PhD programs on the anthro side.

Saw an acceptance for U of Iowa's American Studies program today, and considering my partner will know if he was accepted to the Comm program tomorrow I'm feeling a little bummed. Long distance marriage ftw I guess hahaha.

@heyDW trying to think of a bright side - at least you guys won't be on different coasts?? Really keeping my fingers crossed for you guys 

@ejpril88 I see you updated your signature! Congratulations on almost being done! 

@GreenEyedTrombonist Totally forgot earlier, but congratulations Auntie! I love Davis, too - I think if @ejpril88 ends up there, she will be happy. There are a lot of cute little pockets in Sac that I like, too!

On 2/6/2017 at 6:45 PM, heyDW said:

Only one I can think of is North Dakota State University! Their deadline is in March. Fargo is a pretty cool place...

Thanks for this info pal. 

On 2/6/2017 at 6:59 PM, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@sammyo Would you consider a M.A. or M.S. program? They often have later deadlines than PhD programs.

I wont mind any of if they will lead to direct entry into a PhD program 

Thanks @phdthoughts:) I'm still waiting for that funsing email from Davis, hope I will get it tomorrow. In the meantime I got a rejection from UCSB, so that's two rejections in one day but I don't feel sad at all, I expected both rejections. That didn't stop me from eating a comfort pizza for dinner - just to be safe :D

I'm feeling really ambitious and want to be helpful so I decided once I have a moment, I'll try and consolidate which programs do interviews and perhaps review my journey and see what worked and what didn't. This forum has been so helpful for me especially because I felt very isolated during the process of applying... I'd like to give back a bit!

Hey everyone, I can see 4 rejections for Cornell communication PhD 2017 but not a single acceptance or waitlist. Do you think that they send out rejections first? Or that those who have been accepted simply didn't post anything? Thanks so much

2 hours ago, sadsoul88 said:

Hey everyone, I can see 4 rejections for Cornell communication PhD 2017 but not a single acceptance or waitlist. Do you think that they send out rejections first? Or that those who have been accepted simply didn't post anything? Thanks so much

I'm not sure about Cornell, but I was wondering the same thing about University of Washington. Is it common for some schools to send out a round of rejections first, sit on it and then do acceptances and maybe more rejections in waves?

3 hours ago, sadsoul88 said:

If I had to guess I'd imagine there were just so few people that got accepted that they might not even be people who are active on here. But I suppose anything is possible!

1 hour ago, Triangular said:

I'm not sure about Cornell, but I was wondering the same thing about University of Washington. Is it common for some schools to send out a round of rejections first, sit on it and then do acceptances and maybe more rejections in waves?

Bolding mine.

This is me right now; glad to know I'm not the only one completely in the dark about what's happening vis-a-vis UW.  Judging from past years on the "Results" tab, it's conceivable that those of us who have not yet been contacted by UW have either (a) been admitted, (b) made it past the "initial screening" stage, or (c) been waitlisted. 

1 hour ago, hnm1231 said:

If I had to guess I'd imagine there were just so few people that got accepted that they might not even be people who are active on here. But I suppose anything is possible!

Good point, this seems very likely also. I forget that there are those out there who do not use grad cafe. Strange as that may seem! Lol 

7 minutes ago, phdthoughts said:

Has anyone heard from Iowa? I seriously feel like I'm in some weird grad school purgatory. Neither accepted or denied. #maddening. :) 

Mass comm or comm? Did you interview? Communication (at least rhetoric and media tracks) did interviews on Tues and Wednesday and said they'd make decisions by the end of the week.

UGH @phdthoughts this really sucks, doesn't it? Right now, I feel like this part of the application process was the worst. Not the agonizing over the GRE, not the worrying about the SOP, but the waiting. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I feel like I've been waiting since December. I remember even as I was writing up my applications thinking "when will I know the outcome" 

I guess now that we're nearing mid Feb - we're closer to the end than we were a week ago, so there's that.... 

13 minutes ago, DBear said:

I guess now that we're nearing mid Feb - we're closer to the end than we were a week ago, so there's that.... 

time feels like it doesn't exist anymore...but yr right.