29 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

uh oh what's up with Iowa @heyDW?

Just waiting for them to send decisions. Misery. They said the end of the week and nothin yet.

Edited by heyDW

3 minutes ago, DBear said:

Anthology of vampires and etc - DONE! I can do a chapter or two on Supernatural as well!

And yes - racial representation (or lack thereof) definitely should be a chapter or two!

So we have @The Shade King, @av2010, @GreenEyedTrombonist - anyone else??

Yes, it has exploded on tv for the last few years and the tropes are very real and need to be unpacked. Poor Bonnie Bennett. 

Got my rejection from UCSD.  Stings.

I think that the adcomm figured that I just wasn't a good fit. FYI my interests are in Political Communication and Media Studies.

Still waiting on UW and U Maryland.

Edited by 2ManyTacos

14 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I feel like when schools say that we should assume it means next week. :D Hope you hear soon!

I agree! I talked to a professor from UC Davis on Tuesday and he told me I will get a funding email on Wednesday but I got it yesterday. It's a full funding offer so now I have to decide between Davis and Purdue.

16 hours ago, heyDW said:

really wish i would have waited to eat the pint of ice cream til AFTER Iowa decided to ignore my partner waaah going back into my depressed hole

I'm so sorry! It's possible that Iowa is still behind. They promised offers on Thursday and I felt much like you when I heard nothing. But they might be staggering the acceptances or something. There's still hope for your partner!

5 hours ago, ejpril88 said:

I agree! I talked to a professor from UC Davis on Tuesday and he told me I will get a funding email on Wednesday but I got it yesterday. It's a full funding offer so now I have to decide between Davis and Purdue.

I was told last week Wednesday I'd get a funding letter from Wake Forest's grad school "in the next few days" and I'm still waiting...I'm thinking my address is wrong, or grad school people/schools just live in a different world where time acts differently.

@kirbs005 you should email them. I emailed UC Davis yesterday and they sent me a funding letter soon after that. Funny thing is - the date on the letter was February 7th, exactly when the professor told me I should expect it. Not sure why they didn't send it on the 7th.

Edited by ejpril88

3 hours ago, heyDW said:

Hooray! Sorta! Husband (I hate calling him that, I don't talk like this in real life) is on the waitlist for Iowa. At this point, just massively relieved it's not a rejection...he needs some good news.

YAY!!! That's awesome. You need a celebratory pint of ice cream!

3 hours ago, heyDW said:

Hooray! Sorta! Husband (I hate calling him that, I don't talk like this in real life) is on the waitlist for Iowa. At this point, just massively relieved it's not a rejection...he needs some good news.

Yesss! Congrats! Haha I am the same when it comes to the word "husband" :)

When it hits you that you should have applied to the communication program rather than the American studies program at a school that was at the top of your list and you just have to live with that rejection because you know it's really about fit lol.

Damn.gif

Okay guys - I'm not really prone to negative thinking - but why the silence from schools? I'm starting to think I'm not even worth a rejection or a waitlist notification. I emailed Purdue on Friday just so I could at least get a formal rejection from them. And Iowa...nothing and Ohio, nothing. 

I was preparing myself this cycle for rejections - didn't count on absolute silence. :( 

Edited by phdthoughts

@phdthoughts UGH I'm so sorry - I feel like that with a few of my applications as well and found myself wondering if the schools even got them... or maybe they just stole my application fee. I scoured the results database right after submitting my applications and found that some people were accepted to a program in Jan and some others were accepted to the same program in March - so I'm thinking that's the waitlist. Some seemed to notify rejections first that admits later of vice versa.. So I had told myself to be okay with not hearing anything til late Feb - but then saw people posting interviews and stuff starting Jan and began growing impatient.. All in all, I think that most people have more "nothing yets" than those who have news... I'm sorry this sucks so much.. I wish schools really had a clear cut process for this with set deadlines for notifications.. 

This entire admissions season seems a bit behind past years. I wonder why that is? My admit from UMN, for example, while early was still two weeks after what is consistent with them. U of Iowa and BGSU American studies tend to announce by now... I'm trying to hold onto the idea that no news is good news, but when you see other folks getting movement it really is frustrating and kinda miserable ? Time crawls

Edited by heyDW

23 hours ago, ejpril88 said:

@kirbs005 you should email them. I emailed UC Davis yesterday and they sent me a funding letter soon after that. Funny thing is - the date on the letter was February 7th, exactly when the professor told me I should expect it. Not sure why they didn't send it on the 7th.

I did end up talking to the DGS because we were already talking about visiting, and he told me they send funding emails/letters individually so *hopefully* it's within a few days but sometimes it can be longer. So we'll see when I actually hear back.