On 11/3/2016 at 6:19 PM, Triangular said:

@totallyuncreative Do you have any more specifics on the Boulder program that you'd be willing to share, especially if you are attending there? Specifically about how students are involved in faculty work and how plentiful opportunities for publishing are?

If anyone else has any information about their experiences with or applying for this program that would be greatly appreciated!

Hi!! Sorry, I just saw this. I'm not attending, but have friends that are. From what they've told me, it is pretty collaborative and there are plenty of opportunities to work with faculty. I don't believe they have a research structure that requires you to work on faculty's projects - I believe you can work on your own projects. I could be wrong there, but that's what I know from what I've been told. 

On 11/10/2016 at 8:41 AM, DBear said:

So, it's already November and I'm thinking everyone's list of schools is close to done and the application process is  underway.. 

I was wondering how many programs people are applying to.... My list has shrunk to 8 and I don't know if I'm taking too big a risk with too few schools. 

I've been of the opinion that applying to fewer programs will allow me to put more work into my preparation, but then everyone around me applying for grad school (all in English, though) is applying to at least a dozen schools. 

I've got U Penn, Temple, U Illinois Urbana Champaign, U Wisconsin Madison, U Iowa, Ohio U, U Mass Amherst and Bowling Green on my list, and Bowling Green is hanging on by a thread... Apart from Urbana Champaign, I'll be applying for the phd program. Urbana Champaign won't let me apply for the phd program because my MA is in English.. 

This thread seems a bit quiet but I'll put this out there anyway... 

I think 8 is a perfectly reasonable number! I applied to 3, and I don't anyone who applied to more than 6. 

6 hours ago, totallyuncreative said:

I think 8 is a perfectly reasonable number! I applied to 3, and I don't anyone who applied to more than 6.

Thank you SOOOOO much - at this point I'm running dangerously low on confidence in the process and the decisions I make so reassurance is much appreciated.

Especially since there was an administrative hiccup since I last wrote and now I'm down to 7... :) Thanks again!

On 19.10.2016 at 6:53 PM, DBear said:

I've narrowed down my list to 12 - I'm hoping to get it down further, but I may end up applying to all of them :( I'll probably go into debt doing so..

U Wisconsin-Madison, UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio State, U Iowa, U Illinois Urbana-Champaign, U Penn, Temple, Bowling Green, UC San Diego, NYU, U Mass Amherst, U Colorado Boulder

Hi DBear! I am applying to two of the schools from your list: UW-Madison and Umass Amherst. Really glad I found this thread, at least there will be someone to talk to this application season. UMass instructions are a bit confusing, to be honest, especially with transcripts. Are you sending your transcripts in hard copy?

Edited by Nika Teneo

3 hours ago, Nika Teneo said:

UMass

So many programs are confusing. For Mass, I'm going to send hard copies, as that part seems pretty specific. The thing about Mass is that we only get lor links after everything is done so I'm trying to work on this first so I can get the links out ASAP

5 hours ago, kirbs005 said:

Somewhat off topic, but finally submitted some of my first applications. And it feels surprisingly relieving. Now I just have to wait. 

Hang in there everyone you can do it :)

It's exactly on topic!! Congratulations! I haven't even submitted one application (though I have 7 open online apps) but all I can think of is that I want to be over and done with this!

On 10/17/2016 at 10:41 PM, wazzzup said:

Im applying to the University of Denver's International and Intercultural communications program. Has anyone heard anything about this program? Its hard to find any info. 

@DBear In regards to the University of Denver's program, it is very hard to get information.  I contacted them several times, both the general inquiry email and the graduate director.  It took me months before I finally got a response (which was a sketchy sign to me).  I finally had a conversation with the graduate director, friendly and very informative.  There were certain things I liked about the program but I decided not to apply because the faculty research didn't mesh up as well as I would hope with my own, and they do not provide 4 years of funding.  Their deadline is early, but I'd recommend reaching out to the grad director as soon as possible to ask your questions if you haven't done so.  She told me they made some changes to the program and were updating their website. which is why not much info is available.  I didn't get a good feeling from all of that, but definitely reach out and ask questions if you have them to her.

On 2016. 11. 18. at 0:09 AM, av2010 said:

In the final stages of applying to Interpersonal programs at UCONN, West Virginia, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Anyone else just want the stress of this all to be over?!

Yes!! I vote yes to wanting this to be over - thanks for the info on Denver, though I think someone else asked for it. I'm sure they'll benefit!

I'm still wrapping up the 3 schools that are due in December.. but then I have a handful more that are due in Jan so... I don't think it'll be over for me for a while.. and then there's the waiting.....

I'm down to U Penn, U Wis-Mad, Temple, Iowa, Ohio U, U Mass Amherst, and Bowling Green. I've been in touch with most these schools regarding applications (conflicting info etc) so if anyone is having difficulty with one of these schools, would be happy to share info:)

Good luck to us all!

I need reassurance! I submitted my application, due today, and there is still a red x by my gre scores and one set of transcripts. I submitted an unofficial version of my transcripts, and I'm half tempted to upload pictures of my gre/transcript receipts. I'm in a full on panic. The gre scores they have were physically mailed. I probably still have the two red x marks because the department hasn't consolidated materials sent online right???  

13 hours ago, acmangold said:

I need reassurance! I submitted my application, due today, and there is still a red x by my gre scores and one set of transcripts. I submitted an unofficial version of my transcripts, and I'm half tempted to upload pictures of my gre/transcript receipts. I'm in a full on panic. The gre scores they have were physically mailed. I probably still have the two red x marks because the department hasn't consolidated materials sent online right???  

I think if you're that worried, I'd check with the admissions department - though I think those x's most likely indicate they haven't received/ filed your hard copies. As for the GRE score, have your scores been published yet? AWA and everything? If they have, you can always send a pdf unofficial report if they want proof you've taken it and the scores are on their way. Each school's system is so different (and I know that some of the school's systems are completely archaic) so I think the only way you can get that peace of mind will be to contact the school. :) I'm sure it'll be okay!!!

7 minutes ago, heyyDW said:

Sent off my second application today! UoMN and U Denver are in. Can't sleep now. :o

I know the feeling! Sent off the first two yesterday and thought I'd sleep well - but was even more anxious. 

Anyone else just one big ball of anxiety now? 

Also, has anyone contacted Bowling Green? I've contacted the grad secretary, grad admissions office, and the dean of grad studies and NO ONE has gotten back to me. I noticed a discrepancy in the dept's required documents (2 hard copies of official transcripts) and the instructions on the online application. Since the info on the dept's page is referring to the BGSU graduate school's requirements, I think that it should be okay to go with what the online system says.. but emailed anyway to no avail. I'm not in the U.S. so with the time difference and not wanting to call internationally, I've been hoping to get a reply via email. I was so annoyed at one point I was thinking of not applying :( but two of my professors already uploaded their letters of rec.. so might as well.. 

Gah this process is NO FUN.

Hi DBear and Nika, are you applying for Communication Arts PhD at UW Madison? That is one of the seven places I am applying for. I am so happy I found this forum. I feel like I came from another planet. This is my eight month in the US and I am still adapting. That said, I know absolutely nothing about the education system here and my confidence regarding doctoral studies is pretty low. Anyone else in the same boat?

7 hours ago, ejpril88 said:

Hi DBear and Nika, are you applying for Communication Arts PhD at UW Madison? That is one of the seven places I am applying for. I am so happy I found this forum. I feel like I came from another planet. This is my eight month in the US and I am still adapting. That said, I know absolutely nothing about the education system here and my confidence regarding doctoral studies is pretty low. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hallo! Yes, I'm applying for Wisc Mad Comm Arts as well... I'm also an international student but spent a good chunk of time in the U.S. so if you have questions about adjusting or schools in general, let me know! Communication is a bit alien to me because my studies up until now have not been in Communication and I only know one person in the field so... I have no idea if I'm even going about this whole thing the right way. The one friend I do have says I should be okay.. but still.. I'm feeling less than confident :(

16 hours ago, ejpril88 said:

Hi DBear and Nika, are you applying for Communication Arts PhD at UW Madison? 

I was an undergraduate student at UW-Madison in the Comm Arts department on the rhetoric side, so let me know if y'all have any questions!

DBear I know exactly how you feel :) Where did you live in US? I have managed to submit transcripts electronicaly, as a part of my online application for Madison, so I am a bit confused because you mentioned something about sending hard copies. My biggest concern regarding grad school is my English, which is not that bad (109 on TOEFL) but I'm worried that others might think that I am not educated enough due to my simple vocabulary. In my native language I sound much more educated and confident. That's why I feel weird when I'm talking to Americans, I feel like I am worth less than them, I don't know how to explain...

Kirbs, can you tell me something about the campus, is it close to downtown and how is the public transport? I don't drive.

Edited by ejpril88

It's right downtown! The campus is about a 15 minute walk east of the capital. Personally I thought the bus system for being a midwest town was great. I had no issues walking/biking/taking the bus when I was a student. And the University provides bus passes. I didn't start driving in town until I graduated and started working full time.

On 02.12.2016 at 8:25 AM, ejpril88 said:

Hi! Yes, I am applying at UW-Madison this season, and the whole process is pretty nerve-wracking, if you ask me =) I am also an international student, like DBear. That being said, I was actually in Madison during summer semester in 2015, got to talk with a couple profs, not from the Comm Dep though. But I absolutely loved living in Madison, so if you have questions about practicalities or whatnot I'll try my best to answer.

21 hours ago, DBear said:

Communication is a bit alien to me because my studies up until now have not been in Communication

I am also switching from another discipline (polisci), and feeling pretty anxious about it, to be honest. I am applying fresh from undergrad to boot, and need a REALLY good statement to convince them I am serious about research and phd studies.

On 30.11.2016 at 5:05 PM, DBear said:

I've contacted the grad secretary, grad admissions office, and the dean of grad studies and NO ONE has gotten back to me. I noticed a discrepancy in the dept's required documents (2 hard copies of official transcripts) and the instructions on the online application. Since the info on the dept's page is referring to the BGSU graduate school's requirements, I think that it should be okay to go with what the online system says.. but emailed anyway to no avail.

Gah this process is NO FUN.

Yeah, I know the feeling.  

What are you going to do with sponsor statement for UMass? It says we need to submit a scan of signed sponsor statement on the admission reqs page, but then when you actually fill out the application there is a tick mark about funding which seems to imply otherwise. I figured I'll upload one just to be safe, but these conflicting instructions are just so frustrating.

On 2016. 12. 3. at 3:47 AM, kirbs005 said:

I was an undergraduate student at UW-Madison in the Comm Arts department on the rhetoric side, so let me know if y'all have any questions!

Thanks for sharing! I noticed that you're not applying for Comm Arts at Madison, can I ask why not? I know some programs encourage students to pursue studies in other schools as MA to phd curriculum doesn't really change too much. 

On 2016. 12. 3. at 6:52 PM, Nika Teneo said:

What are you going to do with sponsor statement for UMass? It says we need to submit a scan of signed sponsor statement on the admission reqs page, but then when you actually fill out the application there is a tick mark about funding which seems to imply otherwise. I figured I'll upload one just to be safe, but these conflicting instructions are just so frustrating.

@Nika Teneo There's so much conflicting info, but for the funding document, I decided to follow the instructions on the online application and just ticked off that I'd be needing funding from the school. The pdf document they say to upload seems to indicate that if you are expecting funding from the school as your main source, you just need to tick off one box so.. thought that was the same as the tick mark on the online app. I was a bit hesitant about this thinking that if all else is equal, perhaps the program would choose an applicant that can pay for themselves. However, a friend of mine that started her phd program this fall (in English) said that during the funding negotiation process, one of schools kept coming back to the fact that she said she anticipated a government scholarship and tried to give her less. I thought I'd be upfront with the school because I really have no intention of going to an unfunded phd program because 1) I can't afford to (I only have enough saved up for food and stuff) and 2) I think the amount of funding (or lack thereof) is an indication of how strongly the program wants you and I don't want to go somewhere I'm not welcome with open arms. 

On 2016. 12. 3. at 7:18 AM, ejpril88 said:

DBear I know exactly how you feel :) Where did you live in US? I have managed to submit transcripts electronicaly, as a part of my online application for Madison, so I am a bit confused because you mentioned something about sending hard copies. My biggest concern regarding grad school is my English, which is not that bad (109 on TOEFL) but I'm worried that others might think that I am not educated enough due to my simple vocabulary. In my native language I sound much more educated and confident. That's why I feel weird when I'm talking to Americans, I feel like I am worth less than them, I don't know how to explain...

Kirbs, can you tell me something about the campus, is it close to downtown and how is the public transport? I don't drive.

So, I lived in the US pretty much all of my childhood and then went back for my MA in a small graduate school in CA. I wouldn't worry about 'simple' vocabulary. If your post is any indication,then your English is just fine. I know so many students that can't even write a post here without making it obvious that English isn't their dominant language, and they go on to do well in their studies. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only international student here or the only one who did political science in undergrad. Though, unlike @nika teneo, I'm on the other end of the spectrum in that I did a lot of non-academic things following my undergrad so my biggest concern is that admissions committees look at my profile and think 'this is really random, how do we know she's committed to academics now?" .... All in all, this process has been an exercise in self-criticism and questioning everything I've done up til now... :(

Hey ! Im an international student from India.

I am filling in the form for UMASS - AMHERST.

Should I convert my gpa on the 10 scale to the 4 scale and submit ?

The applications are not clear on this. 

Please help me out :)

1 hour ago, GeekGirl94 said:

Hey ! Im an international student from India.

I am filling in the form for UMASS - AMHERST.

Should I convert my gpa on the 10 scale to the 4 scale and submit ?

The applications are not clear on this. 

Please help me out :)

Hi! I just finished my U Mass application and the online application said to convert to A+= 4.0 scale "to the best of your ability" so I converted :)