American Studies programs

TKO from Yale. Struck out with three of the four American Studies programs to which I applied. :-/

Not devastated like I would have been a few weeks ago, but a tad exasperated/frustrated because there's no way of knowing what AMST programs want. Congrats to those who did get in to the top programs. 

16 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

Not devastated like I would have been a few weeks ago, but a tad exasperated/frustrated because there's no way of knowing what AMST programs want. 

Right??? I'm happy to have gotten into a few really good programs, but I really want to know what it was about the candidates who got into top AMST programs. To be a fly on the wall of those admissions committees...

20 hours ago, cypressknee said:

Right??? I'm happy to have gotten into a few really good programs, but I really want to know what it was about the candidates who got into top AMST programs. To be a fly on the wall of those admissions committees...

Same but after a campus visit with communications, many  faculty when I told them of my predicament urged me regardless of where I went not to go into the field of Amst studies. They alluded to hireabilty and future trajectory of many disciplines and faculty lines. Maybe they only wanted the most outstanding or most closely aligned students  as it might be bumpy with jobs in the future. I might ask a mentor who has more insider knowledge about it down the line.

2 hours ago, The Shade King said:

Same but after a campus visit with communications, many  faculty when I told them of my predicament urged me regardless of where I went not to go into the field of Amst studies. They alluded to hireabilty and future trajectory of many disciplines and faculty lines. Maybe they only wanted the most outstanding or most closely aligned students  as it might be bumpy with jobs in the future. I might ask a mentor who has more insider knowledge about it down the line.

I've heard this too---that American Studies isn't as "respected" as a traditional humanities discipline, and it's not worth it to do American Studies unless you go to top program (Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc) because the job market is just so abysmal. When I was applying, some recommended that I use a traditional English or History program to pivot into interdisciplinary work, and it looks like I'll end up doing just that. It seems like American Studies has been super competitive across the board this year, so I guess programs are responding according to the market (?).

Are you going to end up in an AMST program, or a Comm program?

well as of right now, it seems communication is where I will be. I am a natural fit for the media /cultural studies section of communication as it aligns with my sociology and critical human geography background. Unless something huge happens I can safely assume I will be in communication. I still plan to participate intellectually in the discipline I just guess I will be outside of it as far as home department and that's ok. I am used to being spread out far intellectually. Some of the best professors I have interacted with have an intellectual range that is out of this world and I am modeling my scholarship after them. I have an affinity for reading across boundaries and liking everything so I am just going to organically embrace that aspect of my personality.

And yes, it has been. I am very curious to who got in though and wonder if it was topic or methodology that caused many of us issues with getting into programs we though we had fit with.So this coming year ASA is going to be very, very interesting.

I think it's at least partly because so many problems and scholars can fit under american studies, so there is such a large number of applicants to the top programs. So they can really cherry pick the most qualified candidates. And they take such few students. And, as NoirFemme said, there's no way of knowing what they want. the field is so broad, its like my project isn't even on the same map as some of the other projects I've seen in american studies. 

On 3/4/2017 at 7:50 AM, cypressknee said:

Definitely. 

I'm over it right now lol. On to getting excited about where I'll be this fall!

22 hours ago, cypressknee said:

I've heard this too---that American Studies isn't as "respected" as a traditional humanities discipline, and it's not worth it to do American Studies unless you go to top program (Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc) because the job market is just so abysmal.

I've heard this too, which is why I'm trying to be smart with my apps. I applied to some schools in the area that I live currently in the hopes that I can work and go to school at the same time. I talked to one program, and they seemed totally fine with the idea of part-time grad work (in fact, the grad director eagerly helped me block out a part-time 'plan'--now to see if I got in, that's the question). The job market for honestly every field is so terrible right now, and so, while I want to get a PhD, I also don't want to stop working for 5+ years only to graduate with no job. It would effectively be like if I just stopped working for half a decade. I didn't even look at programs that weren't amenable to part-time grad work. Does this not make me a 'serious' scholar in the eyes of some schools/departments? Probably, but honestly, I don't care. Quality of life comes before letters at the end of my name....... even though I really want those letters! :P

But I could rant about the horrid institutionally-imposed conditions of a graduate school lifestyle all day long, so I'll stop.

21 hours ago, kekology4 said:

I think it's at least partly because so many problems and scholars can fit under american studies, so there is such a large number of applicants to the top programs.

This is a great point. The topics I'm interested in studying are radically different from many others in the field, only really unified by the term 'American'. That's cool because it means the field is so interdisciplinary and everyone is learning tons of new stuff all the time, but it also means that you can easily get booted if there's even the tiniest of shifts in the field's overall interests.

Edited by way_moby

Finally got my rejection from UT. A little bummed, but I received my acceptance today to GW's MA program today. Apparently they're giving me some merit based aid, which seems unusual for a MA program so depending on how things shake out with UNC's waitlist I could be in DC next fall.

This whole process has been a total clusterfuck. Thanks for providing some solace in the madness!

19 hours ago, foodnerd said:

Finally got my rejection from UT. A little bummed, but I received my acceptance today to GW's MA program today. Apparently they're giving me some merit based aid, which seems unusual for a MA program so depending on how things shake out with UNC's waitlist I could be in DC next fall.

This whole process has been a total clusterfuck. Thanks for providing some solace in the madness!

The vast majority of MA programs are unfunded, so the fact that they're giving you money suggests to me that they think you were a rather good applicant who, had this cycle been less brutal, would've been accepted into the PhD program. I think that's very good news! Congrats.

1 hour ago, way_moby said:

The vast majority of MA programs are unfunded, so the fact that they're giving you money suggests to me that they think you were a rather good applicant who, had this cycle been less brutal, would've been accepted into the PhD program. I think that's very good news! Congrats.

Thanks! :) 

The Shade King - thank you for bringing up UMass Boston's program.  I'm an alum of the MA program there, and I agree that it is excellent!  There are also plenty of opportunities to TA, and the program itself is quite affordable.

Edited by karmak

Hi all:

Long-time lurker, thanks for all the great information on this page. I applied to American Studies/Ethnic Studies program in the past season and am considering/on the waitlist for a few options. Up until this morning Michigan's American Culture was my top choice. However, I saw this morning on facebook a lawsuit against the department alleging some pretty serious issues surrounding race and gender discrimination: http://umich-alumni-apiastudies.tumblr.com/post/158136917298/professors-file-landmark-suit-exposing-cover-up-of

My research interests aren't in Asian American studies per se but as a queer woman of color I'm very concerned about the allegations in the lawsuit. Plus considering how department politics goes in a *healthy* academic atmosphere I don't know if it's smart to attend a school where faculty are suing each other. Is this a red flag?

Anyway was just wondering if others saw this and have similar concerns, or if my worries (as a potential incoming grad student) are overstated. 

Apologies if I'm violating any rules of the forum, hope to hear back from some of y'all!

Thanks for sharing @gradschoolgal. I understand why you're so concerned about going there. I would be too.

It's absolutely a red flag to me. It's really alarming, frankly, that so many faculty of color left or were forced out in the past 20 years. What was pushing them out? The complaint tells us - race and ethnic discrimination, gender discrimination, and a race hostile work environment. I just read a good deal of the complaint and it shows a clear history of racism and sexism at michigan and within the american culture department specifically. 

5 hours ago, gradschoolgal said:

Hi all:

Long-time lurker, thanks for all the great information on this page. I applied to American Studies/Ethnic Studies program in the past season and am considering/on the waitlist for a few options. Up until this morning Michigan's American Culture was my top choice. However, I saw this morning on facebook a lawsuit against the department alleging some pretty serious issues surrounding race and gender discrimination: http://umich-alumni-apiastudies.tumblr.com/post/158136917298/professors-file-landmark-suit-exposing-cover-up-of

My research interests aren't in Asian American studies per se but as a queer woman of color I'm very concerned about the allegations in the lawsuit. Plus considering how department politics goes in a *healthy* academic atmosphere I don't know if it's smart to attend a school where faculty are suing each other. Is this a red flag?

Anyway was just wondering if others saw this and have similar concerns, or if my worries (as a potential incoming grad student) are overstated. 

Apologies if I'm violating any rules of the forum, hope to hear back from some of y'all!

I too saw this circulating through my social networks. There have been rumors circulating about this program for some time now. It's hard to ever say that one should absolutely not attend a school, but the allegations are very serious and a definite red flag. I would try to talk to current grad students (especially if there are other queer/poc students) and see what their experience has been. Grad students tend to be more frank than faculty, so you might get a better sense of the climate that way.

Edited by duran0

Hello! Been lurking on this forum for a while and decided to finally pop in to ask a question that I've been mulling over a few weeks now... 

I've seen some admits to USC's American Studies PhD program in the last few months on this site. Congrats to those who got in! I also saw one rejection from this year online, but I haven't heard anything from USC yet. Wondering if I'm on the waitlist and they're just taking their time to late me know... Is it  appropriate if I approach the department and ask what's going on? :( Does anyone have any advice/experience on situations like this? I need sweet sweet deliverance from this hellish experience. 

On 3/8/2017 at 7:08 AM, karmak said:

The Shade King - thank you for bringing up UMass Boston's program.  I'm an alum of the MA program there, and I agree that it is excellent!  There are also plenty of opportunities to TA, and the program itself is quite affordable.

No problem I was sent an nice email probably as a result of me taking the gre but I was like this is a nice program. I would have definitely applied if I had known about it a few years ago when I was living on the east coast.

Hi @bloomings

I have been accepted to USC's American Studies PhD Program and attended their Open House last week. At my knowledge, they have invited all admitted students plus those who are on the waiting list...however, it is surprising they did not give you a definitive answer. Where in early March, and I think it is appropriate to keep in touch with them and asking about your application status.  

@Aurél Thank you for the update... Congrats on getting in! I really wonder what happened with my application. :( I know it went through the portal (all the parts are checked off and I got a confirmation email when I sent in the application), but I'm wondering if something happened. I'll email them as soon as possible and hopefully they can clarify things for me... I feel like it's probably a rejection and it sucks (I feel like if it was an acceptance/waitlist, they would have double checked things with me at this point) but I just need to know for sure I guess... 

Edited by bloomings

@bloomings You're welcome. You are right: send them an email on Monday to know if you have been rejected or waitlisted. While awaiting developments, just relax. Do you wait to heard from other programs?