American Studies programs

39 minutes ago, sometimesmorgan said:

Long time lurker here, just needing to vent a little about the metaphorical cricket sounds from admissions. I've only heard back from one school (Minnesota, rejected) out of nine and am getting progressively more obsessive with checking for updates.

Same here. I applied to 6 schools and heard back from one at the end of January (rejection from Northwestern's History PhD). Absolutely nothing since. It's killing me, I've been starting to obsess over gradcafe and checking and rechecking all of my application pages. It has definitely not been healthy for me, mentally or physically. At this point I'm fairly convinced I'm not going to get in anywhere (3 other schools I applied to, including Harvard, have sent out acceptance notifications, but I haven't heard anything). I just want to know so that I can move on with my life and start making some decisions about what I'm going to do going forward!

1 hour ago, RageoftheMonkey said:

Same here. I applied to 6 schools and heard back from one at the end of January (rejection from Northwestern's History PhD). Absolutely nothing since. It's killing me, I've been starting to obsess over gradcafe and checking and rechecking all of my application pages. It has definitely not been healthy for me, mentally or physically. At this point I'm fairly convinced I'm not going to get in anywhere (3 other schools I applied to, including Harvard, have sent out acceptance notifications, but I haven't heard anything). I just want to know so that I can move on with my life and start making some decisions about what I'm going to do going forward!

I am in the same boat. It's killing me softly. 

Edited by Armchair_Phil

14 hours ago, RageoftheMonkey said:

Yeah I feel ya! I actually think some of my complaining must've propelled something in the universe forward because I did get an acceptance from Lehigh's MA AMST this morning but no word on financial aid. Getting an acceptance is nice for sure but I'm still waiting for anything on funding. I totally know what you mean still though, I am still waiting for my top choices and I think I'm just getting more obsessive everyday. 

15 hours ago, foodnerd said:

I've heard from heard from half of my eight schools (one waitlist, thee rejects). I totally get the desperate need for one full on acceptance. I'm handling it poorly. I'm trying to find comfort in the waitlist and trying to plan for a worst case scenario future where it doesn't pan out this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Absolutely! Positive thinking is the only way of getting through this, I swear. Lots of deep breathing and "everything will be fine!" mini mantras. Good luck on your schools, sending good thoughts your way!

Harvard and Brown rejections this morning. I told myself I wouldn't be but I'm really disappointed. Mostly an ego thing. I really hope everyone ends up at a program that will offer the best for them.

So sorry for all the rejections everyone. If you've appplied to more than one schools and are waiting to hear back, the wait it not over yet!

Be sad first, then do something fun today to cheer yourself up and try your best to stay positive. 

American Studies has been so brutal. I wonder why it has been so rough on us despite many of us getting into other programs. It makes me wonder if the admission committee responding to something going on the discipline.  And good luck everyone.

I also received my rejection from Brown this afternoon. I removed my name out of the from the applicant pool at U-Penn's Africana Studies Program (had an interview with them earlier this week) and pulled my name off of the waitlist at U-Michigan's American Culture Program. However, I ended the selection process early and accepted an offer from the University of Delaware's Interdisciplinary History Program (5 Years of year round funding).

Wishing everyone luck and strength over the next few months! 

I was accepted to Yale's American Studies PhD! Got an email from the DGS which was very nice and included funding info. I applied to study the history of the US far left, especially looking at radical use of space and at the construction and use of alternative infrastructure.

Though I thought the program was a good fit I really was not expecting this, it's my first acceptance anywhere and I've gotten a few rejections. I had come to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to get in anywhere this year. So excited!! Hasn't really sunk in yet. Still waiting to hear from Cornell's History PhD, which is the only program I haven't heard from that I might consider over Yale.

Thanks so much for the support and discussion y'all, really helped me get through these last couple weeks. Much love.

1 hour ago, RageoftheMonkey said:

I was accepted to Yale's American Studies PhD! Got an email from the DGS which was very nice and included funding info. I applied to study the history of the US far left, especially looking at radical use of space and at the construction and use of alternative infrastructure.

Though I thought the program was a good fit I really was not expecting this, it's my first acceptance anywhere and I've gotten a few rejections. I had come to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to get in anywhere this year. So excited!! Hasn't really sunk in yet. Still waiting to hear from Cornell's History PhD, which is the only program I haven't heard from that I might consider over Yale.

Thanks so much for the support and discussion y'all, really helped me get through these last couple weeks. Much love.

Wow!! Congratulations!

20 hours ago, The Shade King said:

American Studies has been so brutal. I wonder why it has been so rough on us despite many of us getting into other programs. It makes me wonder if the admission committee responding to something going on the discipline.  And good luck everyone.

I don't think it's rough, I think--I know it's true for me--that we underestimated how stiff the competition is for AMST. I realized we're not only competing against applicants from other top schools, but applicants from English, History, Communications, Sociology, Music, and a whole host of other disciplines. Coupled with the fact that there are more aspiring AMST grad students than there are AMST undergrad programs in the country, and...yeah...bloodbath on the results board.

After licking my wounds a bit and getting distracted by a bunch of midterms (blech), I recognized that I am grateful to have the acceptances I do have--and that I didn't apply to any school that didn't emphasize its commitment to interdisciplinary study. 

23 minutes ago, NoirFemme said:

I don't think it's rough, I think--I know it's true for me--that we underestimated how stiff the competition is for AMST. I realized we're not only competing against applicants from other top schools, but applicants from English, History, Communications, Sociology, Music, and a whole host of other disciplines. Coupled with the fact that there are more aspiring AMST grad students than there are AMST undergrad programs in the country, and...yeah...bloodbath on the results board.

After licking my wounds a bit and getting distracted by a bunch of midterms (blech), I recognized that I am grateful to have the acceptances I do have--and that I didn't apply to any school that didn't emphasize its commitment to interdisciplinary study. 

Me too I am hurt but its just renewed my resolve to get jobs in departments that I liked. This is my first time trying to be outside of a traditional discipline so it was jarring for me but I have learned a lot from it. And yes you are right, it could be worse I could have no acceptances. And I still have a few to here from. So I guess I will see what happens. But I will be taking me a day to have a pity party lol.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:15 AM, heyDW said:

I applied. Haven't heard a peep.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:21 AM, sometimesmorgan said:

Yes applied, no to hearing anything 

Same. I was told we would hear by mid-February but that's after being told the first week of February and not hearing anything. :/ The anxiety is real. Guess it is just a waiting game now. 

42 minutes ago, kekology4 said:

Hello Yale rejection! By e-mail.

Just NYU left in American Studies for me now! 

Same. I also got a rejection from Northeastern's English department today. The last place I'm waiting to hear back from Boston University's American Studies program. 

The end is finally near. Thank god

2 hours ago, cypressknee said:

Same. I also got a rejection from Northeastern's English department today. The last place I'm waiting to hear back from Boston University's American Studies program. 

The end is finally near. Thank god

Yep waiting for BU AMS and Kansas Amst. Anyone else apply to Kansas?

17 hours ago, The Shade King said:

Yep waiting for BU AMS and Kansas Amst. Anyone else apply to Kansas?

I applied to Kansas and emailed one of the depart. admins today concerning the timeline. She told me that the grad committee has met, but that "official decisions have not been issued quite yet."

It sounds like it will be soon, though.