American Studies programs

Just wanted to update folks.. So thus far I have been dinged by one Communication program, I have been waitlisted by Minnesota and I have been admitted into another Communications program. Feb is off to an interesting start. I wish everyone the best, especially those who are waiting for that first admission. it definitely helped with my anxiety level. 

Thank you so much for your adorable (AND instructive) answers !

I am a little bit less confused about how to deal with USC's offer now. In addition, they offered me to visit the campus in few weeks (and they pay for the flight from Paris!) As you have all said, it would be an excellent way to evaluate in which extent both the university and the program will fit with my future research interests and career plans. 

Besides, I really appreciated your message @towonderland72. I completely agree when you said that there is so much to learn about gender, race and sexuality in the streets of L.A. I have already visited L.A. few times these last years, and I think it represents is an unique and fascinating ethnographic field. I will be delighted to send you a private message when I will have more specific questions. 

Congrats to you @SEAsianIntl! I am so glad another international student had been admitted. I second you on the funding package proposed by USC. I had been selected by the French Fulbright Program and was interviewed by them two days ago. When they saw my letter of admission they told me: "this is a golden opportunity. Please do not refuse!". They looked sincerely happy for me. 

Do you consider to visit the campus in March? Maybe we'll meet each other! 

Congrats to other admits AND lots of support for the others. You worked hard, you deserve to be admitted and I am sure you will. 

Thanks again, have a great day :)

12 hours ago, Aurél said:

Do you consider to visit the campus in March? Maybe we'll meet each other! 

@Aurél Yes, I will visit the campus, but only if my B1 visa is approved. I'll have my visa interview on Wednesday. Now I'm nervous about that :unsure:

Edited by SEAsianIntl

4 hours ago, cypressknee said:

I got an official rejection from UNC Chapel Hill's AMST program this morning. I'm happy for all those accepted, but this one stings a bit!

Sorry to hear that. I have two rejections after the first one the sting is less but if UNC chap was a top choice than I can imagine it hurts. So far what school likes me vs which ones dont has been super random. I just pray one of my top 2 likes me lol

I did. Even though it's a superb program, I won't be upset if I'm rejected. I've heard a lot of things about the racial climate on campus that's given me considerable pause.

(and belated congrats to admits to other programs!)

8 minutes ago, NoirFemme said:

I did. Even though it's a superb program, I won't be upset if I'm rejected. I've heard a lot of things about the racial climate on campus that's given me considerable pause.

(and belated congrats to admits to other programs!)

Thanks and yeah I know it's not perfect but boy I really liked the scholars there. here I was thinking I would be in American studies and I am getting more love from Communication lol. I did speak to a student and was told that his entire cohort was on the wait list so it is possible folks wont go. I have hope we can get on that wait list lol.

7 minutes ago, The Shade King said:

Thanks and yeah I know it's not perfect but boy I really liked the scholars there. here I was thinking I would be in American studies and I am getting more love from Communication lol. I did speak to a student and was told that his entire cohort was on the wait list so it is possible folks wont go. I have hope we can get on that wait list lol.

I do too. So many amazing African Americanists and WGS on the faculty. But I don't know how I feel about doing work on inequality at a place where POC students and staff experience it on a daily basis.