Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

7 minutes ago, .letmeinplz// said:

I'm personally against doxing (no matter how awful he is), but when someone is this toxic you would think mods would handle it. 

For sure. I should clarify: his actions on this forum are so contrary to CASW code of ethics. Also, the fact that someone is linking him to sketchy activities IRL is alarming. I tried to find somewhere on the site where you can report someone, but grad cafe is more about letting us handle it ourselves within the forums (which is why they created the upvote/downvote system). 

54 minutes ago, sososocialwork said:

I'm sure his licensing body would LOVE to hear about these online activities, especially harassing women and posting hateful trash anonymously on forums. Or not so anonymously... since he is apparently known to others?

LOL . deprecating a person who challenges the undeniable  facts of institutional racism and academic oppression as " hateful trash", I am sure CASW code of ethics love to hear that !! 

Edited by YWEANG

I speak in this forum as a member of UofT FIFSW Class of 2017. It's clear that Ye has his opinions and they are unlikely to change. I think this forum would be better served getting back to its original purpose of helping one another as it was used during my application cycle. Yes, applications are in now but that doesn't mean you can't provide encouraging words to one another. My other recommendation would be to ignore Ye and not engage as many have found his posts inflammatory. Obviously you all can make your own decisions but this forum has gotten a bit out of hand. 

3 hours ago, SW15 said:

I'm sorry but this is just rude, 75%+ of U of T MSW's are on OSAP like everyone else. I'm in the program, I'm white, I'm 70k in debt and of the dozens of friends I have in the program I know of 2 whose parents paid their way through, everyone else is either taking student loans or working outside of school to pay for it. Many people are stretched very thin as they can't afford to go to school without working part-time or in some cases even full time. My 2 best friends in the program are members of visible minorities not mentioned by you, the program is definitely predominantly white but we certainly have more than "some chinese and jewish women". 

Also, I find you posting in this forum generally unpleasant as you make everyone who is currently in the U of T program uncomfortable after last year when you attended events that were for U of T students only, and then proceeded to add every female in the program on Facebook and creepily message them and comment on their stuff. Honestly, I've been lurking this message-board and holding my tongue but then you started being super harsh about U of T and like no, just stop.

Access to OSAP is called  privilege!!!  Having a job while in school is called privilege!! Lol. looks like u of t didn't teach you folks anything about critical self-reflection and the concept of intersectionality of social oppression. Why did not you go to a cheaper school if you complaining about  the student debt ? Maybe those schools are too " ethnic"  to you? 

As a racialized  gay person, I have absolutely no interest to initiate any intimate  interaction with heterosexual women. I find your accusation is preposterous and absurd !!! I never attended any u of t event in the past few years besides a mandatory training at OISE . I was too busy with my job and I was not even in Canada last year!  I don't know why you trumped up these baseless and defamatory stories ! Is it a strategy that U of T taught you to silencing people who question the legitimacy of dominant discourses in social work profession? Then, I must say that U of T is doing a good job here :)  Cheers !! 

51 minutes ago, UofT2015 said:

I speak in this forum as a member of UofT FIFSW Class of 2017. It's clear that Ye has his opinions and they are unlikely to change. I think this forum would be better served getting back to its original purpose of helping one another as it was used during my application cycle. Yes, applications are in now but that doesn't mean you can't provide encouraging words to one another. My other recommendation would be to ignore Ye and not engage as many have found his posts inflammatory. Obviously you all can make your own decisions but this forum has gotten a bit out of hand. 

I guess you are referring me as "Ye"? Although I don't know who is this person, posting that person's name without his/her consent on a public forum is called cyber-bullying and crime!!! in case that u of t didn't teach you!!

39 minutes ago, UofT2015 said:

Yes, I agree with this as I chose to have dialogue but not acknowledge the statements that I may have been offended by as YWEANG is just trying to state an opinion.  They made it clear that they wanted people on this forum to be able to express whatever opinion they had so people can agree or disagree.  While I highly respect U of T as one of the top schools in Canada, I have my own reasons for not applying there BUT I do not wish to make light of those who applied there and those who will get in as it is an awesome accomplishment.  I respect all of you who did apply (big props) and I congratulate those who will get in ahead of time because it is the top notch program to get into :)  

13 minutes ago, YWEANG said:

Access to OSAP is called  privilege!!!  Having a job while in school is called privilege!! Lol. looks like u of t didn't teach you folks anything about critical self-reflection and the concept of intersectionality of social oppression. Why did not you go to a cheaper school if you complaining about  the student debt ? Maybe those schools are too " ethnic"  to you? 

As a racialized  gay person, I have absolutely no interest to initiate any intimate  interaction with heterosexual women. I find your accusation is preposterous and absurd !!! I never attended any u of t event in the past few years besides a mandatory training at OISE . I was too busy with my job and I was not even in Canada last year!  I don't know why you trumped up these baseless and defamatory stories ! Is it a strategy that U of T taught you to silencing people who question the legitimacy of dominant discourses in social work profession? Then, I must say that U of T is doing a good job here :)  Cheers !! 

However, I accept a challenge against an institution for what is it, a challenge....as that is what we as social workers are encouraged to do, challenge and critique the system.  YWEANG - your first points about tuition are valid, but the next point about other programs being too ethnic for an individual is one where you are making an assumption and that becomes personal, what people take issue with.  If you would argue your points without criticizing the points of others or their own social position, it would be acceptable to say, I chose not to apply to that school because the tuition was too high or because it didn't talk about additional considerations for marginalized groups in the application process ect.  So I want to publicly say I respect a challenge of a highly regarded, excellent institution - BUT not when it makes others feel anything less than 100% for applying and attending the program or for their own social position.  I believe it is still important to have respect for the institution for what it does do well, and obviously U of T has become one of the top universities in the country for many, many reasons.          

As many have already stated, this thread is starting to get ridiculous. 

I have been creeping this forum since 2014 and used to find it as a huge source of support during the application process. In fact, a friend and I referred classmates from Lakehead's 1 year HBSW program to it about two years ago. The direction it has taken is embarrassing. While I respect that everyone has a right to voice their opinions and feelings, this is not what this space was intended for. 

YWEANG: Yes, I applied to UofT, I also applied to 3 other schools that I felt were best aligned with my future career goals. My dream is to get my MSW. That is all. Suggesting someone doesn't want to attend a school because it is "too ethnic" is so accusatory and misinformed it blows my mind that someone as informed as yourself would even make that generalization.

We have ALL taken this root because we want to make society a better place. Social Work is hard work and I applaud anyone who has committed their future to learning how to improve social conditions. Whatever institution we attend, our hearts are in the right place.   

13 hours ago, sososocialwork said:

I'm sure his licensing body would LOVE to hear about these online activities, especially harassing women and posting hateful trash anonymously on forums. Or not so anonymously... since he is apparently known to others?

Complaints were made directly to the U of T Equity office regarding his inappropriate behaviour, meetings were had. Anyway, I agree that everyone should just ignore whatever YWEANG says (and after this discussion I don't see why he should ever post again). I apologize for shaking the forum with the post about him but it just bothered me on a fundamental level that someone who did so many ethically questionable things was posting hateful/biased comments that could influence prospective applicants to the program.

I certainly agree that nobody should be shamed for their decision to apply to any program (In Social Work and otherwise), there are problems with every educational institution out there--if people were only applying to schools that completely aligned with their values/ethics then there would be no applicants to any programs. All schools have cons, and you're sorely mistaken if you think any school is an exception to this--particularly in a field as multifaceted as SW. I'm at U of T, a program that I love,  and there are many aspects of the program I find problematic and I'm lucky to be in a cohort that has been advocating over the last 2 years to start a dialogue about said issues and changes are slowly being made. I have friends at Ryerson and York, they both love their programs but take issue with certain aspects of their programs. And spoiler alert, wherever you end up working for your practicums or real jobs will have many organizational issues as well. I've done practicums in community and hospital based settings and both had many questionable practices, and as Social Workers it is our job to vocalize when something is amiss. 

So to all applicants, the schools you apply to do not reflect who you are as a person, whatever school you choose to attend will have many wonderful and not so wonderful things about it. We are all walking out of these programs with the same Masters degrees that we can use for whatever purposes we see fit, with the ability (and certification!) to bring about the social change we believe needs to be made. Social Work is a noble and difficult profession, and you are amazing for even considering it as a career option as not many people would (read: any social worker will tell you that the #1 response to telling people what they do is "you're really great, I could never do that). Don't let anyone make you feel like crap or a lesser prospective social worker because of the program that interests you. 

I really hope we can foster a safe space here post drama because you guys are going to be hearing back from schools in the next few months and that's when having support is imperative! I hope everyone gets into the school of their dreams!

I have been following this forum for 4 years, and although I am not applying to MSW programs until 2018, I want to add my perspective. I have 3 years of very anti-oppressive social work education (SSW and BSW) after completing a psych degree. Personally, I am interested in working in mental health, so I will be applying to UofT's health and mental health program. I am doing this not because I am uninterested in continuing to use my AOP/critical SW thinking, but because I feel a clinical perspective would give me the practical skills and would balance my critical education.

I think it is quite unfair to assume that people choosing a clinical program don't care about AOP, because it's very hard to know their background on a relatively anonymous forum. There are many reasons why someone may choose one over another. 

However, I think as future SWs it is also very dangerous to advise those who don't want their privilege questioned to stick to a clinical school. In this profession it is crucial that we reflect upon our own social location, and learn different ways of thinking in order to expand our minds and support as many future clients as we can. I believe the ability to think somewhat anti-oppressively/critically/social justice-oriented is what really makes SW stand out from other health professions. And many SW programs are beginning to become more critical in their teaching. 

Anyway, I really have appreciated all the experiences everyone has shared on here, and I hope everyone gets into their school of choice! I hope we can continue to accept each other's different opinions, ideas, and experiences, and support each other the way we hope to support our future clients! Many of my classmates are currently waiting to hear back also, so best of luck to you all! :)

1 hour ago, SW15 said:

Complaints were made directly to the U of T Equity office regarding his inappropriate behaviour, meetings were had. Anyway, I agree that everyone should just ignore whatever YWEANG says (and after this discussion I don't see why he should ever post again). I apologize for shaking the forum with the post about him but it just bothered me on a fundamental level that someone who did so many ethically questionable things was posting hateful/biased comments that could influence prospective applicants to the program.

With all these bizarre comments you made  ,You clearly don't know who am I !!!  Although i don't know who you were referring to in your post, I think is very obnoxious that you shaming another individual in such malicious manner on a public forum; just let me guess, he/she must be another colored person whom you feel is safe to cyber-bullying and verbally abuse!

And judging my comments as " hateful and biased" is a solid evident that you are a narrow mind person who can't handle different opinions! 

Edited by YWEANG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TOPIC CHANGE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone (Ontario) know if there are any changes to OSAP for graduate students, or are we still to go through the OGS process to get funding from the government? Curious because of the changes happening for undergraduate students starting in 2017.

1 hour ago, tnt92 said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TOPIC CHANGE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone (Ontario) know if there are any changes to OSAP for graduate students, or are we still to go through the OGS process to get funding from the government? Curious because of the changes happening for undergraduate students starting in 2017.

So as far as I am aware OGS and OSAP are two entirely separate entities. OGS is not income dependent you just have to write a research proposal, and interestingly enough it doesn't even matter if you follow through on it. They just want to see your idea. OSAP is still a funding process that you can go through and I know for at least U of T if you qualify for OSAP there are many needs-based grants that you can qualify for once in the program.

Hey guys! 

Just a quick question... I'm getting a little worried because many are saying that their application status has changed to "under review" for U of T. Mine still says "No Registration History"... could this just be because I am a 2 year applicant? Or the volume of the applications? I got mine in well within the deadline. SGS just changed to "documents received" not that long ago. 

Just have to calm my thoughts - it can be difficult not overthinking things like this when it comes to applications! Thanks! 

20 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Hey guys! 

Just a quick question... I'm getting a little worried because many are saying that their application status has changed to "under review" for U of T. Mine still says "No Registration History"... could this just be because I am a 2 year applicant? Or the volume of the applications? I got mine in well within the deadline. SGS just changed to "documents received" not that long ago. 

Just have to calm my thoughts - it can be difficult not overthinking things like this when it comes to applications! Thanks! 

Don't worry about it. U of T sucks at updating their system--they're just really slow. I.e. when I applied my thing said it was under review well over a month after I had already gotten in! As long as it says documents are received I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Edited by wishingonuoft

7 minutes ago, wishingonuoft said:

Don't worry about it. U of T sucks at updating their system--they're just really slow. I.e. when I applied my thing said it was under review well over a month after I had already gotten in! As long as it says documents are received I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Thank you! I appreciate the help!

2 hours ago, UofT2015 said:

So as far as I am aware OGS and OSAP are two entirely separate entities. OGS is not income dependent you just have to write a research proposal, and interestingly enough it doesn't even matter if you follow through on it. They just want to see your idea. OSAP is still a funding process that you can go through and I know for at least U of T if you qualify for OSAP there are many needs-based grants that you can qualify for once in the program.

OGS is for students who are interested to do a thesis in their graduate study, you will receive 15k  for 3 consecutive terms. Application deadline is usually in January and results are usually released around April/May . If you are in a two year MSW program, you can't apply OGS anymore once you completed your second school term, so start the application process as early as possible.

49 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Hey guys! 

Hey! If I'm not mistaken, I think when people are referring the status changing to "under review" they mean on their SGS admissions application (which will later change to decision made).  On my ROSI, it still says "No Registration History".  

21 minutes ago, caitiko said:

Hey! If I'm not mistaken, I think when people are referring the status changing to "under review" they mean on their SGS admissions application (which will later change to decision made).  On my ROSI, it still says "No Registration History".  

That's very helpful, I was getting worried when ROSI wasn't showing anything! Thank you!

19 hours ago, YWEANG said:

I guess you are referring me as "Ye"? Although I don't know who is this person, posting that person's name without his/her consent on a public forum is called cyber-bullying and crime!!! in case that u of t didn't teach you!!

I've been reading on here for a while and this has gotten so ridiculous. Are you actually going to deny who you are. If you want to refute the information you shouldn't have had a profile picture on here that was the same as your Facebook picture...

5 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

Hey guys! 

You status will change to "under review" on ROSI once the school has your application.  If you get into the program, you status will change to "Invited" like the one showing below. You probably going to receive a package via mail before ROSI changes its status. Just remember a big package= You are in,  a small envelope = You are on  waitlist.  

Registration - Fall 2016 - SW MSW 2
Degree Master of Social Work (2 Yr) (SW MSW 2)
Status Invited
Full-time or Part-time image Full Time
Session in which you entered program Fall 2016

10 hours ago, YWEANG said:

You status will change to "under review" on ROSI once the school has your application.  If you get into the program, you status will change to "Invited" like the one showing below. You probably going to receive a package via mail before ROSI changes its status. Just remember a big package= You are in,  a small envelope = You are on  waitlist.

Registration - Fall 2016 - SW MSW 2
Degree Master of Social Work (2 Yr) (SW MSW 2)
Status Invited
Full-time or Part-time image Full Time
Session in which you entered program Fall 2016

According to several posts on last year's thread, on ROSI it should say "No Registration History" and change to "Invited" if accepted.  SGS should say "Under Review" and change to "Decision Made" once a decision is made.

1 hour ago, caitiko said:

According to several posts on last year's thread, on ROSI it should say "No Registration History" and change to "Invited" if accepted.  SGS should say "Under Review" and change to "Decision Made" once a decision is made.

I am so glad you just clarified this! After reading through this forum I was stressed that my application may not have been received fully by U of T (even though my admissions application says everything has been received). I applied for the 1 year MSW program and my SGS says "Under Review" while ROSI says "No Registration History." Does anyone else's say this even though they have submitted all of the required documents? 

Should I already have a ROSI account? Because I don't as far as I know. Was I supposed to have made one during the application process. My SGS says under review and I applied for the two year program

Just kidding!! I figured it out :) - mine also says "no registration history" and I submitted my application almost a month before the deadline. I wouldn't worry about it! They're just being slow pokes :) 

Edited by vpup66

Checked the FAQ in the website for the MSW Calgary option and it says when to expect results....:( 

Our goal is to notify all applicants about the outcome of her/his application by the end of March. Admission results are sent to applicants via email. 

Edited by MSW.hopeful