Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

3 minutes ago, Inspired2017 said:

Thanks Yweang. Can you tell me anything about funding packages for full time and part time at U of T?

unfortunately U of T didn't offer me any money at that time :( not even my 180 dollar application fee..... lol

8 minutes ago, YWEANG said:

My apology to all York MSW applicants, I just checked my MSW offer letter again, it was on March 10th, not Feburary10th!!!!! SORRY for the confusion!!!! its was awhile ago and I totally messed up the date !!!

You said earlier you knew because you had connections in the field...??

8 minutes ago, Inspired2017 said:

Thanks Yweang. Can you tell me anything about funding packages for full time and part time at U of T?

Yeah U of T doesn't have funding packages. However, if you're on OSAP you're automatically considered for UTAPS which are bursaries that cover up to half of your tuition. They covered half of my tuition. In addition, there are a few albeit limited entrance scholarships (I don't know how many, but you're automatically eligible for them upon acceptance). I got one of those. Alllllso, there are internal awards that are needs and merit based. After UTAPS and awards/bursaries, my tuition for the 2 years was just under 3k instead of the 21k. I'm definitely not a typical case though, but most people I know got about half of their tuition covered.

7 minutes ago, wishingonuoft said:

Yeah U of T doesn't have funding packages. However, if you're on OSAP you're automatically considered for UTAPS which are bursaries that cover up to half of your tuition. They covered half of my tuition. In addition, there are a few albeit limited entrance scholarships (I don't know how many, but you're automatically eligible for them upon acceptance). I got one of those. Alllllso, there are internal awards that are needs and merit based. After UTAPS and awards/bursaries, my tuition for the 2 years was just under 3k instead of the 21k. I'm definitely not a typical case though, but most people I know got about half of their tuition covered.

Thanks wishingonuoft. If accepted, I plan on applying for OSAP but not completely sure of what I will do if I get accepted to the full time stream. I work full time and although I can get a 1 year leave from work, I still have financial obligations to meet besides school tuition. A lot to think about. 

9 minutes ago, Inspired2017 said:

Thanks wishingonuoft. If accepted, I plan on applying for OSAP but not completely sure of what I will do if I get accepted to the full time stream. I work full time and although I can get a 1 year leave from work, I still have financial obligations to meet besides school tuition. A lot to think about. 

It's definitely tough, a lot of people have to get part-time jobs for sure. I've worked part-time throughout the entire degree, it's not ideal but it's doable!

10 minutes ago, Inspired2017 said:

Yweang, Is this the letter you received via an email attachment?

the actual letter via snail mail :( I think my ROSI status updated after I got the letter.

1 hour ago, YWEANG said:

My apology to all York MSW applicants, I just checked my MSW offer letter again, it was on March 10th, not Feburary10th!!!!! SORRY for the confusion!!!! its was awhile ago and I totally messed up the date !!!

So we shouldn't expect to hear anything until early March then.  Sigh.

2 hours ago, wishingonuoft said:

Any viable options for those that don't qualify for OSAP and their pockets are empty? Most of the awards and entrance scholarships are for those on OSAP, non? Are there any other options? Really wish, UofT with all of us research and oldest school reputation, had more funding opportunities for their MSW students. :( 

12 hours ago, Dry_Guy said:

Any viable options for those that don't qualify for OSAP and their pockets are empty? Most of the awards and entrance scholarships are for those on OSAP, non? Are there any other options? Really wish, UofT with all of us research and oldest school reputation, had more funding opportunities for their MSW students. :( 

PM'd you!

37 minutes ago, SW_Student said:

This is the week where they should be sending out first round of admission for uoft advanced standing! Fingers crossed! Good luck everyone! 

Just out of curiosity - has anyone confirmed this with Angela at UofT? Or is this information just based on years past and Yweang's information? 

Edited by Dry_Guy

42 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

Just out of curiosity - has anyone confirmed this with Angela at UofT? Or is this information just based on years past and Yweang's information? 

Hello!

I am not following any of Yweang's information. I am a recent graduate from the one year honours bachelor of social work at Lakehead University. Last year I applied to UofT, as well as the majority of my classmate. Around 12 students got accepted from my Lakehead program into UofT advanced standing MSW on February 9th 2016. Following, they did two more rounds of admissions over the next two weeks for advanced standing. These stats are consistent with previous years, as my partner is in their second year currently of the MSW program, and I first applied two years right out of my first undergraduate degree. 

Edited by SW_Student

Congratulations to all who have received good news! The wait is over and you can carry on with your lives. :)

I. CAN'T. TAKE. IT. ANYMORE.

I am soooooo tempted to call Angela Umbrello at U of T...but I'm not. Does anyone have any updates from U of T advanced standing?

4 minutes ago, Inspired2017 said:

Congratulations to all who have received good news! The wait is over and you can carry on with your lives. :)

I. CAN'T. TAKE. IT. ANYMORE.

I am soooooo tempted to call Angela Umbrello at U of T...but I'm not. Does anyone have any updates from U of T advanced standing?

Get a friend, who could care less about this process, to give Angela a call to see when results are being released if you want. That way, you didn't call, the person who did doesn't care, but you'll get an answer. ;)

8 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

Get a friend, who could care less about this process, to give Angela a call to see when results are being released if you want. That way, you didn't call, the person who did doesn't care, but you'll get an answer. ;)

GUYS I am in this boat with you. It could be TODAY. or not for like. weeks. The agonyyyy.

14 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

Good idea Dry_Guy!

Orrrr, I could be that "friend". :):):)