Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

33 minutes ago, jaylynn said:

@Dry_Guy

I'm 25, almost 26. 

I completed my undergrad in criminology, then did a college certificate in youth justice, THEN, the one year HBSW at Lakehead. ?

3rd times the charm...I just want my MSW, ?

This is your third time applying to UofT? 

3 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

This is your third time applying to UofT? 

Yeah, I was waitlisted two years in a row for the two year MSW program. Hopefully the advanced standing program is less competitive. 

1 hour ago, jaylynn said:

Yeah, I was waitlisted two years in a row for the two year MSW program. Hopefully the advanced standing program is less competitive. 

jaylynn do you mind sharing your experience? (or you can inbox me :))

also - I am 23, and this is my 2nd time applying for the 2 year. I was waitlisted last year at UofT 

I've never used this site before and not sure what I'm doing but I just felt like I should inform everyone that I am scared... SHITLESS!

Currently looking for future careers/jobs in case I don't get accepted into the Two Year MSW program for September 2017!!!! 

I hope I get in but damn it looks competitive reading past forums and people's background/experience/grades, etc.

2 hours ago, vanessamarie said:

I've never used this site before and not sure what I'm doing but I just felt like I should inform everyone that I am scared... SHITLESS!

Currently looking for future careers/jobs in case I don't get accepted into the Two Year MSW program for September 2017!!!! 

I hope I get in but damn it looks competitive reading past forums and people's background/experience/grades, etc.

This years forum is relatively quiet compared to the last previous two years.  Maybe less applicants this year (fingers crossed).

1 hour ago, Hopeful18 said:

This years forum is relatively quiet compared to the last previous two years.  Maybe less applicants this year (fingers crossed).

York received over six  hundreds applications for two years program... the chance of getting in is less than four percent.... Economy is tough now and free tuition could mean a lot to students. 

4 hours ago, vanessamarie said:

I share that... Also very nervous and not too confident in my applications. I'm just hoping that this will tell me where I stand (number of rejections, waitlists), but I already have ideas on where I need to improve. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst so if anything else happens it will be a lovely surprise!

8 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I share that... Also very nervous and not too confident in my applications. I'm just hoping that this will tell me where I stand (number of rejections, waitlists), but I already have ideas on where I need to improve. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst so if anything else happens it will be a lovely surprise!

nicoleMSW, always believe in yourself!! When I applied MSW in 2013, my GPA was only 3.8 (in a 4.3 scale), had no work experience, no research experience, and no strong references. Yet, I was accepted to all three universities in Toronto.  Miracles happen all the time as long as you have a faith in yourself :) 

1 hour ago, YWEANG said:

York received over six  hundreds applications for two years program... the chance of getting in is less than four percent.... Economy is tough now and free tuition could mean a lot to students. 

Don't let numbers intimidate you. If these numbers are true, [I wouldn't bet that anything Yweang says is true, but I digress], then chances of getting in are less than 4% if they were picking people randomly like a lottery system. They are not picking people randomly like a lottery system, you have a greater chance of getting into the program than someone who is not as good a fit as you are. The acceptance rates for all programs are low, but keep in mind there are so many areas of your applications where you can stand out from the crowd. Low chance doesn't mean no chance, and there are a ton of MSW applications that come in from people very underqualified looking to get the degree as a "next step" because they don't know what else to do after their undergrad, people applying who don't really have a good understanding what social work is at all, and many more reasons that someone might make for a poor candidate. When I was applying to the program, I had 6 friends applying for clearly the wrong reasons, they didn't even get waitlisted. 

Trust in your experience, it is unique to you and has led you to where you are today: applying to work in one of the most wonderful fields out there. It's hard not to dwell on numbers and statistics when they're so scary and in your face, but as future social workers (and I have no doubt you are ALL future social workers), you would never reduce someone else to just a number, so don't do that to yourself. Hopefully you get in this round, if not, you'll find a way to make it work--if it is truly your calling, you will find a way. My practicum supervisor right now didn't get into the MSW until their 4th try and now they are working as a head social worker in a hospital department. The path to success isn't perfectly linear, most people have a few hiccups down the road, try your best to not let those hiccups stop your from continuing your journey. I am so excited to hear about your successes!

Université de Montréal just wrote to us about how their program is competitive. They said the last student that was admitted last year had a 3.8 GPA on 3.43. My GPA is 3.64 on 4. They are also taking into consideration the letters of motivation and CV that we have sent them. But I'm pretty sure I won't be accepted. It's a good thing I've applied to McGill and UQAM, I have greater chances in those two universities I think.

26 minutes ago, YWEANG said:

nicoleMSW, always believe in yourself!! When I applied MSW in 2013, my GPA was only 3.8 (in a 4.3 scale), had no work experience, no research experience, and no strong references. Yet, I was accepted to all three universities in Toronto.  Miracles happen all the time as long as you have a faith in yourself :) 

I love this!!! Thank you for the inspiration and giving us hope! :)

28 minutes ago, wishingonuoft said:

Don't let numbers intimidate you. If these numbers are true, [I wouldn't bet that anything Yweang says is true, but I digress], then chances of getting in are less than 4% if they were picking people randomly like a lottery system. They are not picking people randomly like a lottery system, you have a greater chance of getting into the program than someone who is not as good a fit as you are. The acceptance rates for all programs are low, but keep in mind there are so many areas of your applications where you can stand out from the crowd. Low chance doesn't mean no chance, and there are a ton of MSW applications that come in from people very underqualified looking to get the degree as a "next step" because they don't know what else to do after their undergrad, people applying who don't really have a good understanding what social work is at all, and many more reasons that someone might make for a poor candidate. When I was applying to the program, I had 6 friends applying for clearly the wrong reasons, they didn't even get waitlisted. 

Trust in your experience, it is unique to you and has led you to where you are today: applying to work in one of the most wonderful fields out there. It's hard not to dwell on numbers and statistics when they're so scary and in your face, but as future social workers (and I have no doubt you are ALL future social workers), you would never reduce someone else to just a number, so don't do that to yourself. Hopefully you get in this round, if not, you'll find a way to make it work--if it is truly your calling, you will find a way. My practicum supervisor right now didn't get into the MSW until their 4th try and now they are working as a head social worker in a hospital department. The path to success isn't perfectly linear, most people have a few hiccups down the road, try your best to not let those hiccups stop your from continuing your journey. I am so excited to hear about your successes!

Also, super inspiring. I love what you wrote. Thank you for this! I agree, whatever is meant to be will happen and if social work is truly our passion, we will just keep trying and it will be meant for us when it's truly the right timing.

What schools did you all apply to?

I do not have a bachelor's of social work so I applied to the two year MSW program at UofT and at Laurier.

I feel as if I also should of applied to York. But, too late! Anyone have any opinions on the program at Laurier?

Edited by vanessamarie

Vanessamarie - I read your post about looking at jobs in case and just wanted to also encourage you to send your resume and cover letter in for those jobs too - does not hurt at all!  I have been working full-time 8 years, really should have moved on to another opportunity a few years ago, but just this past year been putting my resume out there and going to interviews as they come up.  It has been great for me as it shows me what jobs I will be called in for, and answering if I have a shot at diversifying into other areas too.  Doesn't mean you're committed to the agency (as of course hopefully you are attending the MSW program!!!) but it will give you a good sense of what jobs you would be called in for, also you can see the agencies yourself which helps a lot because not every agency or job will be a good fit for you too or something you want to do once you get there.  Anyways, just my thoughts about that although I know it's not related to the application process :)  Although I took a few months off after school too before "seriously" looking for a job so that can be good as well!  Hope you don't mind this input and all the best with your applications - we will hear back soon! 

6 minutes ago, 2017hoping said:

Vanessamarie - I read your post about looking at jobs in case and just wanted to also encourage you to send your resume and cover letter in for those jobs too - does not hurt at all!  I have been working full-time 8 years, really should have moved on to another opportunity a few years ago, but just this past year been putting my resume out there and going to interviews as they come up.  It has been great for me as it shows me what jobs I will be called in for, and answering if I have a shot at diversifying into other areas too.  Doesn't mean you're committed to the agency (as of course hopefully you are attending the MSW program!!!) but it will give you a good sense of what jobs you would be called in for, also you can see the agencies yourself which helps a lot because not every agency or job will be a good fit for you too or something you want to do once you get there.  Anyways, just my thoughts about that although I know it's not related to the application process :)  Although I took a few months off after school too before "seriously" looking for a job so that can be good as well!  Hope you don't mind this input and all the best with your applications - we will hear back soon! 

I do not mind the input at all, in fact I really appreciate it. Thank you! Just to clarify, your work full time for the last 8 years, has it been in relation to social work or in the community in anyway?? If so, could you give me any suggestions on where to look? I am also filling out volunteer applications to keep my resume updated in case I do not get into the MSW program, my resume will continue to flourish when I apply next year. Other than that, I am applying for a whole bunch of other random positions. lol. Really just doing this as a back up to be safe, but deep down inside - of course - I am hoping to continue my studies for another two years :) 

51 minutes ago, YWEANG said:

50 minutes ago, wishingonuoft said:

I'm really appreciative of the positivity and encouragement in this thread right now! Statistics and hearing others' experiences can definitely be daunting, but I agree with both of you that believing in yourself is important. I think that's something I forget to do a little too often, and I'm sure others can relate! I also agree with wishingonuoft that where there's a will, there's a way.... Thank you for reminding me that the final goal is what matters and not necessarily how long it takes to get there. It can be hard to remember that not getting in this round is OKAY! I often feel as though I am going to disappoint my parents and my partner if I don't get in... but I know that is pressure I am putting on myself and not representative of the truth at all. Bright side: should any of us miss out on this year's acceptances, it brings you one application period closer to getting your MSW! Woo!

51 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Université de Montréal just wrote to us about how their program is competitive. They said the last student that was admitted last year had a 3.8 GPA on 3.43. My GPA is 3.64 on 4. They are also taking into consideration the letters of motivation and CV that we have sent them. But I'm pretty sure I won't be accepted. It's a good thing I've applied to McGill and UQAM, I have greater chances in those two universities I think.

I don't have very much experience with the admissions process, so someone please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I've heard the letters and resumes are weighed pretty heavily for most MSW programs! So just like wishingonuoft said, count on the experiences that make you unique! You never know :) (can you tell the positivity on here has rejuvenated me a bit? hehe)

29 minutes ago, vanessamarie said:

I do not mind the input at all, in fact I really appreciate it. Thank you! Just to clarify, your work full time for the last 8 years, has it been in relation to social work or in the community in anyway?? If so, could you give me any suggestions on where to look? I am also filling out volunteer applications to keep my resume updated in case I do not get into the MSW program, my resume will continue to flourish when I apply next year. Other than that, I am applying for a whole bunch of other random positions. lol. Really just doing this as a back up to be safe, but deep down inside - of course - I am hoping to continue my studies for another two years :) 

Yes, I went to Ryerson and have my BSW and then started to work in the social work field, in mental health right after graduating (doing intake, personal support plans, assessments, goal plans with clients ect). During school I had some experience working in shelter as well so that may be an area you could look at, as well as residential support for group homes, as there's often a lot of postings for those jobs (although of course it would have to be something you see yourself doing too). Ah okay that is great - pretty awesome that you are volunteering as well!   Sounds like you have a great plan, just wanted to be an encouragement to you in terms of applying to the jobs too even as you wait :) I applied to York, and then to three distance MSW programs, University of Victoria, Dalhousie and U of Calgary.  Ideally I would want to stay in the city, but I figured doing it online distance was something I can accomplish too over a couple of years while working as well.       

Edited by 2017hoping

34 minutes ago, vanessamarie said:

What schools did you all apply to?

I do not have a bachelor's of social work so I applied to the two year MSW program at UofT and at Laurier.

I feel as if I also should of applied to York. But, too late! Anyone have any opinions on the program at Laurier?

U of T, Laurier, York, and Western for me. I've heard really awesome things about the program at Laurier! A professor of mine put me in touch with someone from the program, and she absolutely loves it (I don't have many specifics unfortunately because I was a timid little bean at that time). Also, my favourite professor of all time teaches at Laurier, so if he is any indication of the quality of their professors.... ;) Unfortunately he isn't involved with the MSW program so my opinion of this particular professor isn't really that relevant haha

Moderator note: A reminder that when you post in this community, you are expected to refrain from personal attacks on other users. It is fine to disagree with someone, but argue against their words, not their person or personality. 

This is the last unofficial warning from me. Any further violations will result in suspensions. If you have any questions, please send me a PM.

12 hours ago, YWEANG said:

I was 23 when i completed my MSW :)

I was 23 when i completed my MSW :)

• Opps.... three people voted down on this :) I don't blame you and I indeed feel for you, I was kind unnerved after  one of my MSW classmates told  me that  she can't go to Vegas because she has not reached legal drinking age yet :(