Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

10 hours ago, wishingonuoft said:

Don't let numbers intimidate you. If these numbers are true, [I wouldn't bet that anything Yweang says is true, but I digress], then chances of getting in are less than 4% if they were picking people randomly like a lottery system. They are not picking people randomly like a lottery system, you have a greater chance of getting into the program than someone who is not as good a fit as you are. The acceptance rates for all programs are low, but keep in mind there are so many areas of your applications where you can stand out from the crowd. Low chance doesn't mean no chance, and there are a ton of MSW applications that come in from people very underqualified looking to get the degree as a "next step" because they don't know what else to do after their undergrad, people applying who don't really have a good understanding what social work is at all, and many more reasons that someone might make for a poor candidate. When I was applying to the program, I had 6 friends applying for clearly the wrong reasons, they didn't even get waitlisted. 

Trust in your experience, it is unique to you and has led you to where you are today: applying to work in one of the most wonderful fields out there. It's hard not to dwell on numbers and statistics when they're so scary and in your face, but as future social workers (and I have no doubt you are ALL future social workers), you would never reduce someone else to just a number, so don't do that to yourself. Hopefully you get in this round, if not, you'll find a way to make it work--if it is truly your calling, you will find a way. My practicum supervisor right now didn't get into the MSW until their 4th try and now they are working as a head social worker in a hospital department. The path to success isn't perfectly linear, most people have a few hiccups down the road, try your best to not let those hiccups stop your from continuing your journey. I am so excited to hear about your successes!

Thank you for the positivity, optimism, and logic! I hope we can keep this hopeful attitude up in the forum :) 

10 hours ago, wishingonuoft said:

Don't let numbers intimidate you. If these numbers are true, [I wouldn't bet that anything Yweang says is true, but I digress], then chances of getting in are less than 4% if they were picking people randomly like a lottery system. They are not picking people randomly like a lottery system, you have a greater chance of getting into the program than someone who is not as good a fit as you are. The acceptance rates for all programs are low, but keep in mind there are so many areas of your applications where you can stand out from the crowd. Low chance doesn't mean no chance, and there are a ton of MSW applications that come in from people very underqualified looking to get the degree as a "next step" because they don't know what else to do after their undergrad, people applying who don't really have a good understanding what social work is at all, and many more reasons that someone might make for a poor candidate. When I was applying to the program, I had 6 friends applying for clearly the wrong reasons, they didn't even get waitlisted. 

Trust in your experience, it is unique to you and has led you to where you are today: applying to work in one of the most wonderful fields out there. It's hard not to dwell on numbers and statistics when they're so scary and in your face, but as future social workers (and I have no doubt you are ALL future social workers), you would never reduce someone else to just a number, so don't do that to yourself. Hopefully you get in this round, if not, you'll find a way to make it work--if it is truly your calling, you will find a way. My practicum supervisor right now didn't get into the MSW until their 4th try and now they are working as a head social worker in a hospital department. The path to success isn't perfectly linear, most people have a few hiccups down the road, try your best to not let those hiccups stop your from continuing your journey. I am so excited to hear about your successes!

Thank you for injecting hope, inspiration and a positive vibe into the forum!

On 2017-02-08 at 10:09 PM, Dry_Guy said:

Just curious, what the average age is of everyone in here applying to grad school? I'm 34.

I'm 24, turning 25 this year.

I applied to the 2-year Laurier directly out of my undergrad (Psychology and Criminology double major) with absolutely no experience in the field and was rejected.  Then I completed a SSW diploma and applied to the 2-year at U of T, this time with some (albeit minimal) experience and was waitlisted but took myself off the waitlist.  This is my third time applying and this application round I applied to Laurier (both full-time and part-time) and Western.  I've been working full-time in the field for 2 to 2.5 years-ish now so I'm hoping that third time's a charm for me!

Best of luck to everyone! Hope we start hearing soon! :)

Edited by hornets14

7 hours ago, YWEANG said:

I was 23 when i completed my MSW :)

• Opps.... three people voted down on this :) I don't blame you and I indeed feel for you, I was kind unnerved after  one of my MSW classmates told  me that  she can't go to Vegas because she has not reached legal drinking age yet :(

I'm just going to do this; I know we've all tried to ignore you, but you're clearly not getting the picture so here goes. They're down voting you probably because they're sick of you trolling this forum after you graduated with your MSW a LONG time ago, then you go and complain to the mods because people are downvoting you. Maybe you should have considered your earlier behaviour in this forum (intimidating people who are applying to clinical programs, throwing around academic jargon as empty ammunition). Your pseudo-intellectual comments amused me and I had a good laugh btw. You use intersectionality to attack everyone else and it's sad. 

I'm sorry, but I've been following this thread for awhile and sometimes your comments are supportive (as they have been lately), but for the most part you're just stirring up people's emotions and trying to get negative reactions out of everyone. Why? It's pretty obvious most of the people here don't appreciate your 'insider tips', which include posting comments about low acceptance rates (what is the point of discouraging applicants?), when letters will go out (as if you have behind the scenes intel on what all the GTA schools are doing, LOL). Not to mention you constantly bashing clinical social work and those who want to pursue this field. No one has said anything to offend you and here you are just attacking those who are not like you (critical social work, anti-oppressive followers). Doesn't that go against the basic principles of anti-oppression? 

What are your intentions here, truly? Why are you constantly posting in here? Are you being helpful or harmful? Please seriously consider these questions. Stick to being supportive and leave all the rest of this crap out of here. We're supposed to be supporting each other. This thread is for APPLICANTS. Unless you have something substantial to say, without being offensive or passive-agreesive, stop looking for drama. 

10 hours ago, YWEANG said:

I was 23 when i completed my MSW :)

• Opps.... three people voted down on this :) I don't blame you and I indeed feel for you, I was kind unnerved after  one of my MSW classmates told  me that  she can't go to Vegas because she has not reached legal drinking age yet :(

2 hours ago, phd2msw said:

I'm just going to do this; I know we've all tried to ignore you, but you're clearly not getting the picture so here goes. They're down voting you probably because they're sick of you trolling this forum after you graduated with your MSW a LONG time ago, then you go and complain to the mods because people are downvoting you. Maybe you should have considered your earlier behaviour in this forum (intimidating people who are applying to clinical programs, throwing around academic jargon as empty ammunition). Your pseudo-intellectual comments amused me and I had a good laugh btw. You use intersectionality to attack everyone else and it's sad. 

I'm sorry, but I've been following this thread for awhile and sometimes your comments are supportive (as they have been lately), but for the most part you're just stirring up people's emotions and trying to get negative reactions out of everyone. Why? It's pretty obvious most of the people here don't appreciate your 'insider tips', which include posting comments about low acceptance rates (what is the point of discouraging applicants?), when letters will go out (as if you have behind the scenes intel on what all the GTA schools are doing, LOL). Not to mention you constantly bashing clinical social work and those who want to pursue this field. No one has said anything to offend you and here you are just attacking those who are not like you (critical social work, anti-oppressive followers). Doesn't that go against the basic principles of anti-oppression? 

What are your intentions here, truly? Why are you constantly posting in here? Are you being helpful or harmful? Please seriously consider these questions. Stick to being supportive and leave all the rest of this crap out of here. We're supposed to be supporting each other. This thread is for APPLICANTS. Unless you have something substantial to say, without being offensive or passive-agreesive, stop looking for drama. 

Also, I down voted because of a comment made by YEWANG in 2015 saying he was 24 and did not get into the program, so how could he have graduated at 23 (I read through the past two years forums because I'm very anxious about school). I was not going to out him, but since he found it necessary to have an issue with the down vote.. well here we are. 

I do not understand the point in making up things in a forum where people are trying to *genuinely* see where they stand in relation to others. This forum has a profound impact on the way individuals feel about the chances of admittance, and the comments continually being made by YEWANG compromise the integrity of this entire thread. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 9.19.06 AM.png

2 hours ago, phd2msw said:

Not commenting on the rest of this, but curious... Why do you feel you can so definitively say this thread is for applicants? It was started by the person you're saying shouldn't post here, and there no forum wide restriction on who posts where. 

As for compromising the "integrity" of a thread, why would you post in a thread started by someone who you feel ethically compromises it?

It rather seems like you're trying to tell someone they don't belong in a conversation they started, which I really don't get. 

12 minutes ago, Eigen said:

Not commenting on the rest of this, but curious... Why do you feel you can so definitively say this thread is for applicants? It was started by the person you're saying shouldn't post here, and there no forum wide restriction on who posts where. 

As for compromising the "integrity" of a thread, why would you post in a thread started by someone who you feel ethically compromises it?

It rather seems like you're trying to tell someone they don't belong in a conversation they started, which I really don't get. 

I think that since the thread name says that it is a waiting game on admissions, it implies that it is for applicants who are waiting to be admitted to programs for 2017. I also believe phd2msw was not saying that YEWANG should not post here, but was saying that he needs to re-evaluate his intentions. Evidence of YEWANG's negativity at times is exemplified by his -54 down votes since December 2016.  Yet, we continue to post because this is a forum where we can find sources of support with others who are applying and waiting to hear back on admissions from Canadian universities. 

6 minutes ago, Eigen said:

The issue is not that this person doesn't belong in this thread. The problem is that YWEANG is taking it off-topic and is being toxic - that doesn't belong here. 

If you go upthread you'll see that they're constantly derailing the topic of MSW applications with political rants against one particular approach to social work, to the point where they were personally criticizing applicants who are applying to a specific school. It's gotten really ridiculous and out of hand. Clearly, given so many down votes from the community (this community being applicants to MSW programs or other social workers/social work students who are posting in here) it's obvious we would rather not hear these comments. TBH I didn't even realize YWEANG started this thread. I feel like most applicants in Canada are just automatically coming to this thread because it's the only one for us. I don't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't mind if he stopped criticizing people for applying to specific programs, or making assumptions about our class, race, privilege...etc. 

The fact that YWEANG started this thread doesn't mean it's okay for them to tell other people that they're white supremacists, that they're super privileged assholes if they go to a particular school....the list of insults goes on. Should we basically start another thread called "Canadian MSW applicants Fall 2017 thread (all MSW programs welcome)"? Most people here aren't here to have philosophical discussions about the validity of certain social work theories. 

I think it's wonderful if people from past years are here to give encouragement and/or advice.  What I don't appreciate is when blatant lies are being thrown out which only serve to play on people in this forums vulnerabilities and fears.  I also did not appreciate the tragic murder of the people who were praying in the mosque being used to lecture, berate and chastise others on this thread.  I too am interested in Yweang's motivations and would hope that he can find some healing for whatever causes him to interact in this manner. 

8 minutes ago, Hopeful18 said:

I think it's wonderful if people from past years are here to give encouragement and/or advice.  What I don't appreciate is when blatant lies are being thrown out which only serve to play on people in this forums vulnerabilities and fears.  I also did not appreciate the tragic murder of the people who were praying in the mosque being used to lecture, berate and chastise others on this thread.  I too am interested in Yweang's motivations and would hope that he can find some healing for whatever causes him to interact in this manner. 

Well said. And yes, some posters who are currently in programs, or who have graduated from them, have been very helpful and supportive in this thread. I'm glad they're around to offer legitimate information. Comments meant to intimidate applicants don't belong here though. 

Edited by sososocialwork

So I'm very new to this forum and have only been reviewing posts for the last couple weeks.  This is my first post. I've applied to Windsors advanced standing MSW program and I know from past forum posts some applicants have already received both positive and negative decisions on their applications to this exact program.  What I'm baffled by is my application still shows as "in process".  No idea what goes on behind the scenes with admissions and who gets notified when or in what order but any insights that can be shared would be appreciated.  Even if I was slated for maybe 2nd round acceptance, you'd think I'd receive some type of waitlist status.  Thanks and best of luck to those waiting for answers :)

For those who did speak out, especially revealing the discrepancies in statements, I just want to say thank you and I'm sorry that you are now being "punished" because you cared enough for the group to call out problematic behaviour within.

7 hours ago, TakeruK said:

Warnings and temporary short-term suspensions have been issued for users who did not follow the above warning to leave personal comments on other users out of their posts. 

I hope this applies to everyone who has not followed forum rules and not just individuals in this particular community who spoke out against inappropriate comments? Why are they being punished? This is ridiculous, sorry. The 50+ down votes should indicate that this one person is problematic, yet you choose to ban or restrict those who call them out on their inappropriate comments. 

The moderation in this forum definitely has it backwards. And to reiterate, the 50+ downvotes should be a dead tell that this person is causing a lot of issues so I just wonder why this isn't evidently being taken into account. This is a social work forum, social work is one of most accepting and welcoming professions out there. If someone gets that much negative feedback in a SOCIAL WORK forum, there is a problem, and the problem isn't the people giving that feedback.

The problem with this individual spans beyond this forum, to the multiple complaints that have been made regarding their inappropriate conduct in the profession to the faculty of social work at U of T (you can imagine what kind of harassment and inappropriate professional conduct will have had to take place for a faculty that the student doesn't even belong to to have to get involved).

Also, lol, speaking of negative feedback I went to my profile and saw that Yeweang went through all of my posts in the forum to down-vote them, what is this even lol.

this individual who we speak of isn't helping people when he feels that his insight may be helpful. this individual seems to be obsessed with this board, constantly checking and replying to every little thing. he checks this more than I probably check my emails. It's not necessary that he be on it every day. There are plenty of other helpful individuals who can share their knowledge as well. 

Wondering if anyone has heard from Carleton yet? I applied for the two year program and they typically let people know around mid to late February based on what I have read in the forums from 2016/2015. I know it's not mid Feb just yet but I'm curious!

Hi everyone,

A quick explanation of the moderation decision. When the problematic behaviours were made aware to us in this thread, there were 10+ pages of material. We determined that there was a lot of inappropriate behaviour from multiple parties. Although one user may have started provoking people, the response to it was also inappropriate. However, we decided to not delete any posts nor change any reputation scores of this user so that the record may speak for itself on what is and isn't accepted by the community. 

Because the record clearly shows what the community thought of potentially bad advice and/or incorrect statements, the moderators asked the community to move on from this history and continue the discussion on other issues. There is no point discussing further whether someone is a good person or not, this is not what TheGradCafe is for. A few users decided to continue talking about other users. A 24 hour suspension was given as a "cool down" period. 

When another user posts something that you disagree with, or you think is wrong, please respond with your counter-argument. Or, you can choose to just ignore it since you have no obligation to correct anyone. It is not appropriate to respond with an attack on the person's real life character. Many users seem to think that incorrect statements should not be posted at all. This is not the spirit of our forums and moderation does not mean we require everyone to be correct. If you are attacked by another user, please use the "Report post" button to make the moderation team aware and do not engage in the same behaviour. 

48 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

Hi everyone,

A quick explanation of the moderation decision. When the problematic behaviours were made aware to us in this thread, there were 10+ pages of material. We determined that there was a lot of inappropriate behaviour from multiple parties. Although one user may have started provoking people, the response to it was also inappropriate. However, we decided to not delete any posts nor change any reputation scores of this user so that the record may speak for itself on what is and isn't accepted by the community. 

Because the record clearly shows what the community thought of potentially bad advice and/or incorrect statements, the moderators asked the community to move on from this history and continue the discussion on other issues. There is no point discussing further whether someone is a good person or not, this is not what TheGradCafe is for. A few users decided to continue talking about other users. A 24 hour suspension was given as a "cool down" period. 

When another user posts something that you disagree with, or you think is wrong, please respond with your counter-argument. Or, you can choose to just ignore it since you have no obligation to correct anyone. It is not appropriate to respond with an attack on the person's real life character. Many users seem to think that incorrect statements should not be posted at all. This is not the spirit of our forums and moderation does not mean we require everyone to be correct. If you are attacked by another user, please use the "Report post" button to make the moderation team aware and do not engage in the same behaviour. 

What if a user is constantly trolling a thread? Trying to provoke everyone? What is the policy on this? I think the majority of us here tried to ignore them, as you suggested, for weeks and then a few people got fed up and addressed it again. Then this person complained to you obviously. It's childish tbh. I understand you guys are trying to deal with this issue, but it goes a lot deeper than this person's initial complaint to you about all the negative votes. This community is tired of them constantly posting negative or incorrect information (btw he has been corrected and he still chooses to post things to provoke applicants). I get what you're saying about attacking someone outside of this thread, and what they've done or haven't done irl. That's not necessary, I agree. But clearly 50+ down votes later and they don't get the idea that no one appreciates their comments? Come on... 

18 hours ago, Newfor2017 said:

So I'm very new to this forum and have only been reviewing posts for the last couple weeks.  This is my first post. I've applied to Windsors advanced standing MSW program and I know from past forum posts some applicants have already received both positive and negative decisions on their applications to this exact program.  What I'm baffled by is my application still shows as "in process".  No idea what goes on behind the scenes with admissions and who gets notified when or in what order but any insights that can be shared would be appreciated.  Even if I was slated for maybe 2nd round acceptance, you'd think I'd receive some type of waitlist status.  Thanks and best of luck to those waiting for answers :)

Would also love insight on this... the obsessive refreshing gets tiring. 

6 hours ago, sososocialwork said:

What if a user is constantly trolling a thread? Trying to provoke everyone? What is the policy on this? I think the majority of us here tried to ignore them, as you suggested, for weeks and then a few people got fed up and addressed it again. Then this person complained to you obviously. It's childish tbh. I understand you guys are trying to deal with this issue, but it goes a lot deeper than this person's initial complaint to you about all the negative votes. This community is tired of them constantly posting negative or incorrect information (btw he has been corrected and he still chooses to post things to provoke applicants). I get what you're saying about attacking someone outside of this thread, and what they've done or haven't done irl. That's not necessary, I agree. But clearly 50+ down votes later and they don't get the idea that no one appreciates their comments? Come on... 

I'll send you a private message to avoid further derailing this thread.

7 hours ago, vpup66 said:

Wondering if anyone has heard from Carleton yet? I applied for the two year program and they typically let people know around mid to late February based on what I have read in the forums from 2016/2015. I know it's not mid Feb just yet but I'm curious!

I also applied to Carleton (advanced standing) and haven't heard anything. I did my undergrad at Carleton and a few of my friends got accepted on February 11th last year, so hopefully we'll hear something soon!