HGSE 2017

aina7

14 minutes ago, goldenangel1 said:

Did you submit a completed application? If so, you should have gotten an email from financial aid cuz the deadline for the application is 2/10. For those who haven't received financial aid email, I advise you to call and find out because the deadline is approaching. I would think that everyone should receive an email after two days of submitting a completed application. 

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but I never received any kind of financial aid email either.

I submitted my completed application in late November, and got emails confirming that everything was submitted. Interesting.

5 minutes ago, Kilos said:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but I never received any kind of financial aid email either.

I submitted my completed application in late November, and got emails confirming that everything was submitted. Interesting.

That's very odd. Hgse is usually on top of their game. I strongly urge you to call financial aid and ask them because the emails should have been sent out especially you would be the first to get it since your application was completed in November. For me, I submitted a completed application on Jan 5th. The deadline is approaching too. I always call admissions and they're so helpful with answering all my question. Just call them and find out what happened. 

2 minutes ago, goldenangel1 said:

That's very odd. Hgse is usually on top of their game. I strongly urge you to call financial aid and ask them because the emails should have been sent out especially you would be the first to get it since your application was completed in November. For me, I submitted a completed application on Jan 5th. The deadline is approaching too. I always call admissions and they're so helpful with answering all my question. Just call them and find out what happened. 

Yeah I'll try that. It's a bit worrisome, though; if for some reason my application didn't make it into their system it's too late for consideration now.

Ok, just got off the phone with the admissions office and they told me that they have "no idea why financial aid information would have gone out" so soon after submitting an application. She noted that in most situations financial aid info or applications would only go out to those who had been accepted, and that what I was saying "just sounds weird." Ha. Okay.

I was very clear about the fact that I was talking about financial aid applications, not funding awards. I'm wondering if perhaps she didn't understand what I was talking about.

Oh well, I'm more confused now than I was before.

Like I said, I got emails confirming my app was submitted--they obviously have my info, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't have received subsequent correspondence.

Edit: @goldenangel1 (or anybody else who's interested).

Edited by Kilos

1 minute ago, Kilos said:

Ok, just got off the phone with the admissions office and they told me that they have "no idea why financial aid information would have gone out" so soon after submitting an application. She noted that in most situations financial aid info or applications would only go out to those who had been accepted, and that what I was saying "just sounds weird." Ha. Okay.

I was very clear about the fact that I was talking about financial aid applications, not funding awards. I'm wondering if perhaps she didn't understand what I was talking about.

Oh well, I'm more confused now than I was before.

Like I said, I got emails confirming my app was submitted--they obviously have my info, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't have received subsequent correspondence.

Wait, you called admissions and not financial aid office? I think you should try calling financial aid office because admissions probably got confused and thought you were asking about financial aid awards. Those don't go out until mid March after a student is accepted. But anyone who has a completed application would be sent an email from financial aid office with a student login and activation code to fill out the hgse financial aid application. Admissions only takes care of the application, but the financial aid office is responsible for sending out the application and codes via email. It's two separate office, but they work together. So I'm not sure why this is happening to you. Sorry about that.

7 minutes ago, goldenangel1 said:

Wait, you called admissions and not financial aid office? I think you should try calling financial aid office because admissions probably got confused and thought you were asking about financial aid awards. Those don't go out until mid March after a student is accepted. But anyone who has a completed application would be sent an email from financial aid office with a student login and activation code to fill out the hgse financial aid application. Admissions only takes care of the application, but the financial aid office is responsible for sending out the application and codes via email. It's two separate office, but they work together. So I'm not sure why this is happening to you. Sorry about that.

Yeah, that's who I initially called, but they transferred me to the GSAS admissions office. I'm not sure what the disconnect was--I thought I clearly voiced my inquiry, but they didn't seem to think I had anything to worry about. They also told me (twice) that they were unable to give me any kind of admissions decision over the phone (which I never asked for, and even explained I wasn't seeking), which leads me to believe that they're probably inundated with phone calls about application statuses, and weren't really listening for the specifics of my question.

4 hours ago, goldenangel1 said:

Just got an email back from financial aid about this (copy+pasted response):

GSAS Financial Aid <gsasfinaid@fas.harvard.edu>

4:57 PM (8 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Hello,

You should be all set if you have submitted your application in full. I am not aware of any email about financial aid going out to applicants at this stage. There is no separate application for financial aid. It is possible the supplemental data form was missing from your friends’ applications and they were being prompted to submit it.

To confirm your contact info with the Admissions Office, please contact them directly at admiss@fas.havard.edu.

Best,

Harvard Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

Office of Financial Aid

Smith Campus Center, Suite 350

1350 Massachusetts Avenue

Cambridge, MA 02138

617-495-539

So, to be clear, according to HGSAS, there is no separate application for financial aid. What people must be referring to is the "Supplemental Data" application that you were supposed to fill out with your initial application.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

53 minutes ago, Kilos said:

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Hello,

You should be all set if you have submitted your application in full. I am not aware of any email about financial aid going out to applicants at this stage. There is no separate application for financial aid. It is possible the supplemental data form was missing from your friends’ applications and they were being prompted to submit it.

To confirm your contact info with the Admissions Office, please contact them directly at admiss@fas.havard.edu.

Best,

Office of Financial Aid

Cambridge, MA 02138

617-495-539

So, to be clear, according to HGSAS, there is no separate application for financial aid. What people must be referring to is the "Supplemental Data" application that you were supposed to fill out with your initial application.

I think the confusion may be because you did not opt to be considered for EdM referrals. This is what I received. Hope it would be helpful. 

image.jpg

5 minutes ago, haveuever22 said:

I think the confusion may be because you did not opt to be considered for EdM referrals. This is what I received. Hope it would be helpful. 

Yep, must be only for Ed.M. considerations.

Odd that the financial aid staff isn't aware of this.

1 hour ago, Kilos said:

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Hello,

Best,

Office of Financial Aid

Cambridge, MA 02138

617-495-539

Oh, I didn't know you were applying for a PhD program. I think that explains the confusion. The financial aid application sent from HGSE is for Master applicants. I think it's different from PHD applicants. Also, PHD applicants have to go through GSAS instead of HGSE, so the way they process their financial aid application is different as well. They probably have different funding procedure and go by info on the Fafsa. I think for M.Ed applicants, we also have different application deadlines and requirements as well. So that explains the mix up. 

Edited by goldenangel1

Hi everyone,

I am curious to hear from previous applicants who have had experience with the Urban Scholars program. When did you learn whether or not you earned the fellowship?

Thank you in advance for any information!

19 hours ago, JankyGuitar said:

Has anyone else heard back? Wishing you all the best as invites come out.

18 hours ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

Not me. Not a peep from HGSE. 

Same, not a peep.

I was really bummed last week, but I knew from the start that I didn't really have a chance.

I'll wait for the official rejection to put the bow on it, but I'm considering this application closed.

HGSE PhD applicants who selected the EdM referral- what do you think our chances are against applicants who applied directly to the EdM? Do you think we all end up in the same applicant pool? I guess I'm just hoping to hear that we're not an afterthought.

I didn't get an interview, so I know the PhD is off the table, but I've got all my cards on this EdM acceptance. I really want it! 

3 hours ago, Plane_Jane said:

HGSE PhD applicants who selected the EdM referral- what do you think our chances are against applicants who applied directly to the EdM? Do you think we all end up in the same applicant pool? I guess I'm just hoping to hear that we're not an afterthought.

I didn't get an interview, so I know the PhD is off the table, but I've got all my cards on this EdM acceptance. I really want it! 

I did not check that box, as I already have an EdM. And an MA

3 hours ago, Plane_Jane said:

I'm curious to know this as well, even though i didn't select the EdM referral.

I have to believe that there are tons of applicants that didn't make the Ph.D. cut who would very likely make the EdM cut. If I had to guess, I'd say they put everybody in the same pool after the Ph.D. choices are made. It's the only thing that really makes sense. 

For those waiting on Ed.L.D interview notifications... I got this email from the admissions office on Jan 11th. Hopefully that means on the earlier side of February! But looking at the blogs from past years it looks like people have heard as late as Feb 14th/15th. 

Thank you for your email. Information about interviews for the EdLD program will go out in February. Please note that receipt (or lack thereof) of this email is not indicative of application status.

Best,
HGSE Admissions

Edited by edccm2017

1 hour ago, edccm2017 said:

For those waiting on Ed.L.D interview notifications... I got this email from the admissions office on Jan 11th. Hopefully that means on the earlier side of February! But looking at the blogs from past years it looks like people have heard as late as Feb 14th/15th. 

Thank you for your email. Information about interviews for the EdLD program will go out in February. Please note that receipt (or lack thereof) of this email is not indicative of application status.

Best,
HGSE Admissions

Thanks Edccm! Curious how common it is to get accepted without an interview. Sounds like not getting an interview isn't dispositive, but yikes - seems a long shot to get in without one.

I'll be sure to post if I'm fortunate enough to grab an interview.

Good luck EdLDers!

Hi everyone,

I am so glad to find this forum! I know I am quite late here. I have applied for the EPM Master's Program and going through the painful waiting process! Just to get a perspective of what all of you think....

I am an international applicant

Program: EPM

GRE- V163 M160, Essays 5

Past academic experience: Master's degree in Interntional Development (Development Management) from London School of Economics, Undergraduate degree in Economics from Stella Maris College, Chennai, India.

GPA: LSE (3.6 out of 4); Undergrad (3.9 out of 4)

Work Experience: 4 years and 3 months full time, another 6 months internships. Experience in Education; Currently pursuing a fellowship where I work with affordable private schools, consult with them, develop strategies and implement interventions to improve the quality of education offered particularly raising learning outcomes in English and Math; conduct teacher training as well. Previously worked in research in education (public and private sector) in a social sector consulting work- done both primary and secondary research as well as quant and qualitative analysis and designed programs based on research outcomes. Before that, I worked at Teach For India (not the fellowship) as part of their staff!

On 1/26/2017 at 9:43 AM, elpoh51 said:

Hi everyone,

I am curious to hear from previous applicants who have had experience with the Urban Scholars program. When did you learn whether or not you earned the fellowship?

Thank you in advance for any information!

I'm currently an Ed.M. candidate in the Prevention Science and Practice program as well as an Urban Scholars fellow.  I wanted to respond to you because I know how nerve-racking the process for hearing back for this can be.  I was notified on March 16th, after acceptance decisions were made, about my status as an Urban Scholars fellow.  I was listed as an alternate and then on April 8th, I was notified that I was no longer an alternate and had received the award.  This one is going to require some patience as you won't find out until after acceptances have gone out, which won't be for another month at best.

Best of luck though.  Let me know if you have any questions about the fellowship with regards to the experience.