Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

I have a question about Columbia's funding: is the summer stipend amount per summer for 5 years? (or total for 5 years?) that wasn't clear to me, although I think it's per summer. (Dean's Fellowship, which I think they offer to everyone.)

Edited by gc_user

52 minutes ago, gc_user said:

I have a question about Columbia's funding: is the summer stipend amount per summer for 5 years? (or total for 5 years?) that wasn't clear to me, although I think it's per summer. (Dean's Fellowship, which I think they offer to everyone.)

I considered it as a summer stipend for each summer over the 5 years.

1 hour ago, gc_user said:

You may want to have a look at this: http://gsas.columbia.edu/content/fellowship-information-doctoral-students

11 hours ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

On the issue of asking whether people will be staying - definitely ask current graduate students if they've heard anything. And definitely ask. I was told that people were coming (and did move) to places I was accepted that made them more appealing, and at others I was accepted where both primary faculty I hoped to work with were leaving or hoped to in the next year or so (and subsequently did). Despite choosing neither of those options, I've run into the same issue this year where up to three faculty members could be leaving by April, with two in particular being huge losses. There are always rumours, but they usually have grounding and there really is no better person to ask than the PI themselves. 

Asking people, particularly current grad students, helps a lot.

For the princeton admits: I heard that Kosuke and Davis are very likely (almost certain) to move to Stanford. Keohane is probably going there as well. (Source: Grad students within Princeton's department)

Edit: That on the other hand means that Princeton is going to hire somebody (several somebodies) in the next few years to fill the vacancies.

Edited by Kenga

9 minutes ago, Kenga said:

For the princeton admits: I heard that Kosuke and Davis are very likely (almost certain) to move to Stanford. Keohane is probably going there as well. (Source: Grad students within Princeton's department)

This is really disappointing...Both Kosuke and Davis are great professors that I hope to work with. Then there's only Milner who is mentioned in my SOP and still at Princeton.

Edited by Jimjimjim

11 minutes ago, Kenga said:

Edit: That on the other hand means that Princeton is going to hire somebody (several somebodies) in the next few years to fill the vacancies.

King to Stanford as well?

1 hour ago, Kenga said:

Keohane is retiring soonish (source: faculty at Princeton)

1 hour ago, Monody said:

King to Stanford as well?

This has been rumored for years. Don't count on it. 

6 minutes ago, mstama123 said:

Claiming the UVA acceptance :)

Congrats!

6 minutes ago, HermioneWannabe said:

What's the consensus on UNC? Are decisions out or are they just trolls? There is a post on the results page saying that someone was a reject re: the website, but my status hasn't been updated. Thanks y'all!

UNC weirdness. This program is the most irritating (?) of them all when it comes to sending out acceptances/waitlists/rejections. 

3 minutes ago, advark said:

UNC weirdness. This program is the most irritating (?) of them all when it comes to sending out acceptances/waitlists/rejections. 

I'm starting to feel like an anarchist - only directed at programs that trickle....

2 minutes ago, Monody said:

eMail from Piazza directly. He said that further information will come soon. I feel euphoric and bad at the same time as the decision is not as easy as I would have liked it.

Well, congratulations!!

Okay, so I'll be checking my email minute by minute for a PSU message.  Rejection is at least easier to take since I already have an admission somewhere.  Ego bruises heal after time.  

8 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

That's awesome, so happy for you!! Did you hear via email (POI/generic?), portal, etc.?

Thank you! I got an email from DGS, who said "By now, you should have received your official acceptance letter from the UVA Department of Politics." However, I never received said official acceptance letter... :lol:that was the first I'd heard that I had been accepted.

41 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

That's awesome, so happy for you!! Did you hear via email (POI/generic?), portal, etc.?

34 minutes ago, mstama123 said:

Thank you! I got an email from DGS, who said "By now, you should have received your official acceptance letter from the UVA Department of Politics." However, I never received said official acceptance letter... :lol:that was the first I'd heard that I had been accepted.

Thank you! And same, do you think they're referring to a physical letter that's in the mail? Checking my junk mail obsessively

Anyone have any guesses about MSU (I know some decisions have been made already) and USC? Starting to feel like there is some conspiracy to keep my inbox empty...

16 minutes ago, southside said:

Thank you! And same, do you think they're referring to a physical letter that's in the mail? Checking my junk mail obsessively

Yes it is very possible that it's a mailed letter. Off to check my mailbox now...

12 minutes ago, krapp said:

Anyone have any guesses about MSU (I know some decisions have been made already) and USC? Starting to feel like there is some conspiracy to keep my inbox empty...

The MSU DGS told me last week that they would send out official acceptances in the next 2 weeks, so if not this week then definitely next week, I think.

Edited by mstama123