Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

So, am I the only one that got a weird email from Georgetown saying that the deadline for applications was February 15th before recieving a second email apologizing for the first one? Or was this only sent to JD/PhD applicants?

5 minutes ago, Jazahmia said:

So, am I the only one that got a weird email from Georgetown saying that the deadline for applications was February 15th before recieving a second email apologizing for the first one? Or was this only sent to JD/PhD applicants?

I did not receive such an e-mail...

As one of Duke applicants, I am getting more and more puzzled about my status.

I've got neither accepted nor rejected. Also, they have not put me on the wait-list. The website keeps saying 'No notifications'

How should I interpret this? One of the ad-com might have blown his/her nose with my SOP

20 minutes ago, necspenecmetu said:

As one of Duke applicants, I am getting more and more puzzled about my status.

I've got neither accepted nor rejected. Also, they have not put me on the wait-list. The website keeps saying 'No notifications'

How should I interpret this? One of the ad-com might have blown his/her nose with my SOP

I just got my response this afternoon.  Its probably a rejection, though with how they're handling their rollout, a mistake is far from out of the question.  I just assumed it was a rejection until I got the email confirming.  My advice is to do the same.  That being said, it is tough not having that closure. 

24 minutes ago, Hates_Goats said:

I just got my response this afternoon.  Its probably a rejection, though with how they're handling their rollout, a mistake is far from out of the question.  I just assumed it was a rejection until I got the email confirming.  My advice is to do the same.  That being said, it is tough not having that closure. 

I think you're right. I mean, if mine was being considered positively, they would have given some kind of response.

3 hours ago, Jazahmia said:

I got this too! When I received the first email, I was like, WTF did I completely misread the application deadline??

No idea what happened there. It really adds to the stress when I see an email notification from Georgetown, and it turns out to be something like that. :(

10 hours ago, Comparativist said:

Honestly Monody, there is very little that should persuade you to choose PSU over Columbia. Columbia beats it by virtually every metric imaginable. 

On the one hand, I agree with you, but on the other I am quite unwilling to decline their offer before I locked in another one and Stanford is still outstanding which for me would top Columbia. In the case that something obscure would happen to my Columbia acceptance I would still have PSU. And while rationality generally wins out, Ive a weakness for nice emails that care about my research after spending 2 years in an environment where quantitative work was generally looked down upon. In sum, I will probably let them know soon that I will attend someplace else and early enough so that a waitlisted candidate can go to the meeting in March.

31 minutes ago, krapp said:

It's not mine, but got me paranoid enough to check my account again. Nothing so far

7 minutes ago, jazzmintea said:

Me too. Still says awaiting decision. :o 

Same! Will obsessively check both email and account now

3 hours ago, southside said:

Same! Will obsessively check both email and account now

Not totally sure what it means, but my status has now changed to "Final Review"...hopefully that means we hear soon!

7 hours ago, Monody said:

On the one hand, I agree with you, but on the other I am quite unwilling to decline their offer before I locked in another one and Stanford is still outstanding which for me would top Columbia. In the case that something obscure would happen to my Columbia acceptance I would still have PSU. And while rationality generally wins out, Ive a weakness for nice emails that care about my research after spending 2 years in an environment where quantitative work was generally looked down upon. In sum, I will probably let them know soon that I will attend someplace else and early enough so that a waitlisted candidate can go to the meeting in March.

They looked down on quant research? That's sucky and strange - we were pretty much told that quant was the only way to get anywhere at my last institution and the conferences I've attended have seconded that.

21 minutes ago, HermioneWannabe said:

They looked down on quant research? That's sucky and strange - we were pretty much told that quant was the only way to get anywhere at my last institution and the conferences I've attended have seconded that.

Well, the prof explicitly told me that quant is on its way out since all civil wars are different and there is nothing to be generalized. She said that with a straight face and cited as evidence the last few conferences she visited. Since she applies critical theory I just thought selection bias and kept my mouth shut. Nothing against her personally, after all she wrote one of the recommendations, but that is one some areas an actual perspective on the current state of affairs.

Edited by Monody

7 minutes ago, Monody said:

Well, the prof explicitly told me that quant is on its way out since all civil wars are different and there is nothing to be generalized. She said that with a straight face and cited as evidence the last few conferences she visited. Since she applies critical theory I just thought selection bias and kept my mouth shut. Nothing against her personally, after all she wrote one of the recommendations, but that is one some areas an actual perspective on the current state of affairs.

And the war between qualitative and quantitative lives on yet again

7 minutes ago, HermioneWannabe said:

And the war between qualitative and quantitative lives on yet again

Id say I am somewhat happy that they have their journals, we have ours, and nobody forces me to read anything in that direction. The only thing that annoys me is the activism that grows out of this perspective (and the indoctrination of undergraduates) and the idea that they may at some points in time have some influence on policy decisions. 

Hey y'all, a little bit of inside info on UMich. My professor who got his PhD there, reached out to a friend on faculty and the faculty member has no idea who has been accepted. This is important because when UMich makes their decisions and makes acceptances they distribute a list of those they accepted to the current faculty and the graduate students apparently. So if they don't know yet, I don't believe we will be knowing at least today. But, you never know. Hope this puts some at ease about Michigan for now.

5 minutes ago, jge said:

Hey y'all, a little bit of inside info on UMich. My professor who got his PhD there, reached out to a friend on faculty and the faculty member has no idea who has been accepted. This is important because when UMich makes their decisions and makes acceptances they distribute a list of those they accepted to the current faculty and the graduate students apparently. So if they don't know yet, I don't believe we will be knowing at least today. But, you never know. Hope this puts some at ease about Michigan for now.

do they distribute the list after they've informed those who are admitted or before? I'm hoping that Stanford and Michigan release today.

They distribute the list to the faculty before they send us the acceptances. With that being said, it may very well be on the same day. I don't think it is impossible. As of right now though, they are not done deliberating on who gets an offer, since the professor at UMich indicated that he was just as in the dark about it as we are. Unless they are rushing to get out the offers, I wouldn't bank on UMich releasing stuff today (I felt someone who was anxious about Michigan might be calmed by info like this at least for today). But like I said, you never know. 

Edited by jge

36 minutes ago, ugurcanevci said:

Anybody to claim the Northwestern rejection? 

It's not my post, but I got an email today to check the activity page on the webite for my decision letter --> rejection.
I got the email at 6am CT, which I thought was a bit odd but well. Was expected after this long time of not hearing any positive.