Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

On 06/02/2017 at 1:49 PM, Bibica said:

Oh, I don't think I would, especially after receiving their funding offer. I noticed that someone had posted a Duke admit and people had been asking about them for the past two weeks. I also paid for these applications so I'm generally curious as to how they turned out.

EDIT: Also what @resDQ said. These are my future colleagues and I want them to like me.

Actually, there are a couple of current students at Duke who chose it over Princeton. It really depends on what your interests are, and money and location preferences can also play a role. Both schools are great and you can't go wrong with either one.

35 minutes ago, terefere said:

Actually, there are a couple of current students at Duke who chose it over Princeton. It really depends on what your interests are, and money and location preferences can also play a role. Both schools are great and you can't go wrong with either one.

Oh, I know. Duke is a great school. The research fit for me, personally, is just not as good. But they put me on the wait list, so it doesn't really matter what I prefer lol.

On 2/10/2017 at 3:55 PM, Jazahmia said:

Honestly, I'm hoping this means waitlist. Fingers crossed for us all. 

There might (emphasis on "might") be more announcements from UNC early this week. I walked by a conversation and heard something about the first round of acceptances already being out (as you all know) and that a second round would be coming out soon. But if this is wrong, please, no one be angry... I was in a rush to get to class!

7 minutes ago, PizzaCat93 said:

There might (emphasis on "might") be more announcements from UNC early this week. I walked by a conversation and heard something about the first round of acceptances already being out (as you all know) and that a second round would be coming out soon. But if this is wrong, please, no one be angry... I was in a rush to get to class!

Ah @PizzaCat93, I hope you are right!

2 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Thanks for the inside info!

On 2/10/2017 at 7:41 PM, necspenecmetu said:

So, we are expecting which ones next week? I think there will be Cornell and U-Michigan..

Almost certainly not Cornell. Could speak to a professor of mine to make sure but my general impression from just hanging around is that they're not near done yet. Which makes sense, cohort sizes are pretty small and it might be difficult to narrow down.

2 hours ago, Bibica said:

Almost certainly not Cornell. Could speak to a professor of mine to make sure but my general impression from just hanging around is that they're not near done yet. Which makes sense, cohort sizes are pretty small and it might be difficult to narrow down.

Thanks for the inside info! Yeah somehow my gut feelings tell me Cornell's notifications will start rolling in late feb. 

So who do we expect to hear from next week? Based off of last year, I'm thinking it'll be a busy one: Stanford, Michigan, MIT, Vanderbilt, UPenn and Notre Dame. Maybe more UNC if @PizzaCat93's intel is right. Cornell could surprise me.

And, of course, it seems Duke rejections are still trickling in :mellow:

Edited by Bibica

2 hours ago, Bibica said:

So who do we expect to hear from next week? Based off of last year, I'm thinking it'll be a busy one: Stanford, Michigan, MIT, Vanderbilt, UPenn and Notre Dame. Maybe more UNC if @PizzaCat93's intel is right. Cornell could surprise me.

Maybe Maryland. If all these send decisions next week, I'll be done. Last week was surprisingly calm for me.

1 hour ago, VMcJ said:

Maybe Maryland. If all these send decisions next week, I'll be done. Last week was surprisingly calm for me.

Do you already know where you would like to go to or are you conditioning your decision on the visiting weekends?

21 minutes ago, Monody said:

Do you already know where you would like to go to or are you conditioning your decision on the visiting weekends?

I do not. And sadly won't be able to visit any schools.

8 hours ago, Bibica said:

This looks like a pretty comprehensive list. If all those come in, I will be happy.

I'm curious about what people know about visit days. Is there anything generalizable about them? Is it (a)typical for schools to foot the bill? If I get multiple offers, hoping to do most visits.

43 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

This looks like a pretty comprehensive list. If all those come in, I will be happy.

I'm curious about what people know about visit days. Is there anything generalizable about them? Is it (a)typical for schools to foot the bill? If I get multiple offers, hoping to do most visits.

the norm seems to be $300-$500 for airfare and either you stay with a current grad or they book a hotel room for you (covered and not part of the $300-$500 for airfare/gas/whatever). 

does anyone know how admissions work? Is it one person per subfield making the initial cut and after this cut they ask other faculty if they are interested in working with a student? Or is it the case that one person per subfield makes all the decisions and other faculty mentioned in your SOP are notified after you've been accepted? 

Edited by advark

Has anyone heard about visitation dates for UPenn or Northwestern? I want to book my flight to UC Irvine for March 3rd, but am worried since I haven't heard back from UPenn and Northwestern; they might have their visitations that same weekend.

4 minutes ago, yousowildrach said:

Has anyone heard about visitation dates for UPenn or Northwestern? I want to book my flight to UC Irvine for March 3rd, but am worried since I haven't heard back from UPenn and Northwestern; they might have their visitations that same weekend.

Regarding UPenn, I don't know when their visit days will be, but this week I'll be having an skype with POI. She said that the admissions process is still going on. I wouldn't expect decisions to be released before February 20th. 

2 hours ago, advark said:

does anyone know how admissions work? Is it one person per subfield making the initial cut and after this cut they ask other faculty if they are interested in working with a student? Or is it the case that one person per subfield makes all the decisions and other faculty mentioned in your SOP are notified after you've been accepted? 

Each department has their own admission's process. But this is how Stanford's worked a decade ago: http://jackman.stanford.edu/papers/pa04.pdf

18 minutes ago, international_IR said:

Regarding UPenn, I don't know when their visit days will be, but this week I'll be having an skype with POI. She said that the admissions process is still going on. I wouldn't expect decisions to be released before February 20th.

So UPenn is having interviews?