Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

30 minutes ago, dih2 said:

When should we expect Harvard and Yale? Yale possibly this week judging by some earlier years?

Have no idea about Yale but according to past years, Harvard started trickling in from the last week of February though March 4th so I wouldn't start to worry until March 3rd (aka my birthday. I totally think if they send out decisions on that day, I should be an auto admit because well...you can't reject a girl on her birthday. It's rude. Lol)

20 hours ago, Mike_Novick said:

Thanks for the update, @Jazahmia. I wonder what kinds of obstacles are preventing them from releasing the remaining letters of rejection ...

I e-mailed admissions before seeing this and got the following response:

"The program has not yet recorded a decision on your application. We expect that the faculty committee on admissions will return all Ph.D. decisions by late February or early March. You will be notified via email when a decision has been reached.

If you are not offered admission to your first choice program and your file is being forwarded to your second choice, that information will be clearly stated in your decision letter." (I had asked about that) 

So it looks like the second choice thing isn't the answer either, and it's also to do with no decision at all formally recorded, not just not sending out the letter. Honestly, I know this means a rejection but would really appreciate some closure! 

On 2/9/2017 at 3:39 AM, swanblack said:

Does anyone claim a waitlist from SIS American? I am likely relenting to believe it's probably not a troll. Previous cycle decisions timeline shows SIS had been releasing decision around this time. Yet the fact that it's only one entry and too a waitlist erodes the credibility it purports to manifest. How come a university come to announce waitlist while keeping the admitted guessing (assuming quite of few admits would have honestly advertised their decisions on results page).

I'm so sorry, I completely missed this post! I got an admit to the SIS PhD. Received an email from the program director on 9 Feb.

1 hour ago, as2472 said:

I e-mailed admissions before seeing this and got the following response:

"The program has not yet recorded a decision on your application. We expect that the faculty committee on admissions will return all Ph.D. decisions by late February or early March. You will be notified via email when a decision has been reached.

If you are not offered admission to your first choice program and your file is being forwarded to your second choice, that information will be clearly stated in your decision letter." (I had asked about that) 

So it looks like the second choice thing isn't the answer either, and it's also to do with no decision at all formally recorded, not just not sending out the letter. Honestly, I know this means a rejection but would really appreciate some closure! 

Thanks, @as2472. Unfortunately I've received my rejection letter from Columbia yesterday night (and from UCLA, moments ago). At least they were very kind and polited. Perhaps those of you who still didn't have your status updated may receive good news in the nearby future. Let's hope for the best.

Received an invitation for an interview for the excellence scholarship at ETH Zurich (MACIS). Declined due to the other admission offers and because it is a Master program.

Edited by Monody

1 hour ago, Mike_Novick said:

Thanks, @as2472. Unfortunately I've received my rejection letter from Columbia yesterday night (and from UCLA, moments ago). At least they were very kind and polited. Perhaps those of you who still didn't have your status updated may receive good news in the nearby future. Let's hope for the best.

I'm sorry to hear :( It sounds like we're in the same boat with outcomes so far. I'm like 99% certain it won't be good news, but hoping for the second choice! Did you apply to a second choice programme and, if so, did they say what was going on with that? 

9 minutes ago, as2472 said:

I'm sorry to hear :( It sounds like we're in the same boat with outcomes so far. I'm like 99% certain it won't be good news, but hoping for the second choice! Did you apply to a second choice programme and, if so, did they say what was going on with that? 

Oh, no, I did not. Maybe they're taking their time to evaluate your application considering the second selection you provided. Good luck and keep us posted on your progresses.

14 minutes ago, ugurcanevci said:

It looks like there is some collective trolling on NYU. Anyone to claim those?

Yes, I think they're trolls, but I may be wrong. I've sent an e-mail to GSAS Admissions this morning and received an auto response stating that my application is still with the Department and therefore they're unable to provide further info.

32 minutes ago, Mike_Novick said:

Oh, no, I did not. Maybe they're taking their time to evaluate your application considering the second selection you provided. Good luck and keep us posted on your progresses.

Anddd the official rejection is in (but passed along to Human Rights Studies for review at least). Thinking it's time to send in some last-ditch UK Masters applications....

6 minutes ago, aroundandabout said:

Claiming the Notre Dame interview. God I am nervous. Have no idea what the POI will ask. All it said on the email was that the POI wanted to discuss my applications.... :o

Don't be nervous - just view it as an opportunity to talk about the topics you're passionate about and to ask questions.  If you're applying for grad school it's because you love your field (hopefully), just let that show along with your ability to go places with it.

10 minutes ago, HermioneWannabe said:

Don't be nervous - just view it as an opportunity to talk about the topics you're passionate about and to ask questions.  If you're applying for grad school it's because you love your field (hopefully), just let that show along with your ability to go places with it.

This is wonderful advice! You are right :) I love this field and what I study, and will just try to enjoy the conversation. Thank you HermionieWannabe. I wish you all the best with your applications! And best of luck to others who are also waiting for good news!

Edited by aroundandabout

9 minutes ago, as2472 said:

Anddd the official rejection is in (but passed along to Human Rights Studies for review at least). Thinking it's time to send in some last-ditch UK Masters applications....

Sorry to hear that, but hey, at least you've got a second opportunity! Don't lose all hope yet.  

I got an email today from Northeastern, saying I'm a top applicant and inviting me to a paid-for 2 days welcome and get to know the dept event. Sounds like we eat, meet faculty and students, and basically get interviewed by our POI. This is not an acceptance, but they say decisions will come after it, so I think theyre using it to make their selection from...?

35 minutes ago, aroundandabout said:

Claiming the Notre Dame interview. God I am nervous. Have no idea what the POI will ask. All it said on the email was that the POI wanted to discuss my applications.... :o

Good luck! I've seen several posts about ND interviews, so I'm wondering if I should be concerned that I haven't heard anything...

8 minutes ago, philpot said:

Good luck! I've seen several posts about ND interviews, so I'm wondering if I should be concerned that I haven't heard anything...

Same here. I am expecting rejection on that front, as with UNC.

Good to have you all back. Yesterday was horrible - no news and nobody to vent to. ;) 

43 minutes ago, aroundandabout said:

Follow @HermioneWannabe's advice: you love your field, so just let them understand your love. And in case, it doesn't go as well as planned (I'm sure it will be going great) you're at least already calling on the right person/deity. So maybe Notre Dame IS the program for you. ;) 
Enjoy the interview and see it as a good sign.

3 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Same here. I am expecting rejection on that front, as with UNC.

I'm still holding out hope, because based on past years, it doesn't look like they interview every accepted applicant. But maybe that's wrong, or maybe they changed it. Either way, I'm not emotionally ready to give up ND yet :P